Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I have hit the HB3s a few times but i previously owned a set of the Xli irons and used it for 2 years

that's what it was. I remember you having something like that when we played but couldn't remember the model.

These have an interesting look and the bendable hosel to adjust lie angle is certainly something to get ones attention.

Those look interesting. Kind of remind me of a mix of the Nike SQ or Slingbacks.
That's exactly how I feel when I look at them.

Anyone in the forum getting some of these this weekend? I may see if I can find a demoe to go hit this weekend!

Anyone in the forum getting some of these this weekend? I may see if I can find a demoe to go hit this weekend!

Let us know how it goes twoods. Looking forward to feedback. We should have a set here in the next couple of weeks to review.

Cool, look forward to the review! Hopefully I can find a demoe and provide some feedback.

I game the Cleveland HiBore XLI 3i-SW. I've swung them for all three years I've played golf. I play a lot of par 3 courses where I end up using the wedge clubs more as distance clubs. I look but I've never found anything knock them out of my bag...except maybe these. The most recent contender was the mashie iron set. I already told my wife I'm getting new clubs and a new bag (only fair as she just got a new car).

I have to agree with ryebread about the hopes for the sole like the Mashie and a slot for velocity. Maybe that is next year's design change/improvement. I am disappointed that the actual loft isn't on the club as it is on the XLI and that the lofts continue to creep.

-I was kind of hoping the HB4 (588 Altitude) would come with the sole design of the Mashie line. I think that would have helped them in the rough stuff.
- I was kind of hoping the HB4 would come with a velocity slot styled design.

I hope someone gets a set and posts some real world experience with them...

Did you by chance try the mashie irons out when they came out and if so what did you think of them?

Saw these in hand this weekend at Ed Watts and must say they looked very similiar to the HB3's. No demos unfortunately. Will keep looking.

Just saw that Cleveland makes a full set of head covers for these. Interesting.

t207_99629c9ca4b73980455b6de9f9799a66.jpg

Just saw that Cleveland makes a full set of head covers for these. Interesting.

t207_99629c9ca4b73980455b6de9f9799a66.jpg

Any indication if these are included with purchase, or just a matching accessory? I'm not a big fan of iron covers, but I cant complain about someone trying to protect their investment. I really only use them when checking my clubs for flights.

Any indication if these are included with purchase, or just a matching accessory? I'm not a big fan of iron covers, but I cant complain about someone trying to protect their investment. I really only use them when checking my clubs for flights.

From what I can tell, they are not included. Good news is that they are only $49.99 for the set via Cleveland's site. Pretty darn cheap for a full set IMO.

Few in hand photos.

PW:

u9adepa8.jpg

u3e3ypen.jpg

4H:

eduda9ym.jpg

uzuganu6.jpg

8i vs CG16 8i:

ry8uvebe.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. 4 iron basically looks like a hybrid. How would you compare it to the J40 hybrids?

Quite a bit different. Here is the 4h against the M3.

eharura9.jpg

The 4h has a really thick iron topline before it then dips down and out to the backend of the head.

The 8 iron is the first club where you can see the black in the cavity at address. Wedges and 9i look like normal irons.

It almost reminds me of the Hibore from that pic/description.

Interesting. Seems to have a bit more offset than even the M3.

Not going to lie, I think that 4 hybird/iron is pretty unattractive in those pictures. Guess I'd have to see it in person

I'm with you on that one, ddec. The shorter irons are fine, but I'm not feeling that #4.

It almost reminds me of the Hibore from that pic/description.

Exactly what I was thinking when looking at those pictures.

Back