One of THOSE Days!

6foot9_41

Reaction score
Handicap
What do you do when you have one of those days of golf when you just aren't hitting anything they way you normally do? I mean, I have been knocking on the door of 80 for a while now, and today I shot 100! I haven't shot near 100 in a long time! I could not hit anything like I normally do from tee to green. I was making bonehead moves all day with every club and not always the same thing. I know a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work, but man is this frustrating. Not many more good weather days here and I hate to waste one on around like this. What do you guys do to bounce back after an awful round?

It happens to everybody that is for sure. Normally for me, I spend my next chance I get practicing nothing put short game for an hour. Then I tell myself over and over again that it is just a game and if I was a perfect golfer, I would be playing it for a living.

I then go out the next round and work on smiling, laughing and having a good time. The rest will fall into place.

I just shake it off and go at it the next day. Maybe try to get a ranger in between the two rounds. If I have another awful round I call up my pro and set up a session.

I forget about it and get out as fast as I can for another round at a different course

I had one of these rounds a couple months ago and it definitely leaves you scratching your head and a bit soured. I cancelled my plans the next weekend to get back out there and have a better game. Your game will find it's way back.

I never got mad, I kind of just took it in stride. I was playing with my father who is 74 and can shoot his age, so I was just enjoying the day, but jeeze. I chipped over/rolled chips over the green 4 times today! I can't remember the last time I did that once, much less 4 times. How do you forget about it the next time you go out and not get uptight around the green? Wish I could go to the range, the course live on does not have one and the closest one is 45 minutes away. Guess I will be taking the shag bag out to the fairway?

We all have those days....heck, at the Iowa outing I shot 104 one day and 84 the next...its a crazy game....but it's just that....a game...something we do for fun...so go out and have fun the rest will work itself out.

Don't worry about it dude. It happens. It will come back soon.

What do you do when you have one of those days of golf when you just aren't hitting anything they way you normally do? I mean, I have been knocking on the door of 80 for a while now, and today I shot 100! I haven't shot near 100 in a long time! I could not hit anything like I normally do from tee to green. I was making bonehead moves all day with every club and not always the same thing. I know a bad day of golf is better than a good day at work, but man is this frustrating. Not many more good weather days here and I hate to waste one on around like this. What do you guys do to bounce back after an awful round?
Go play another next time. Bad rounds happen. I try not to let them get to me too much.

I try to remind myself that I love to play golf and I do it to have fun not to make a living. That is usually all it takes, I'm not good enough to get too discouraged.

In addition to all the good advice already given, you can also just change things up a bit.

For example, take 1 or 2 clubs more and swing at 50% for each shot. Hit some knockdowns, bump-and-runs instead of high wedges, etc. Get something out of the round even if the score has gone south.

Iam right there with you norm. 90-95 last 3 rounds 108,110 and it gets better 112 :deadhorse: YOU are not alone!!! I just deal with it and move on cant take it back iam off to the range...

It was the day, not you. A new day will bring new results.

One important point though, and this is what seperates even the best pros from each other, is grinding. When things are going awry, our natural tendency is to try to move on to the next shot or next hole (or next round) quickly. That means we're not focusing on the shot ahead of us. We're not trying to make that next chip or long putt coming back and so we don't stick it rtight and maybe cost another stroke. We don't do a full pre-shot routine and maybe miss some of our set up details.

This little oversights are what cause blow up scores. A better name for them would be snowball scores because one bad shot snowballs to two, then three then ....

Anyway, keep your head up and in the game each shot. You'll break 80 and this'll be a fair thought.

Happens to everybody, also the best guys out there, it is golf.

Gotta love when this happens. hehe I always try to just keep plugging along and not let it get to me too much. I always try to remember that my time out on the course, even when I'm shooting badly, is better than being just about anywhere else.

It happens as many have said. I find the best remedy is to just Tee is up again in the very near future.

I would have probably have taken a few shots of Jäger, tried to relax and just play golf!

As previously mentioned, we all have days like that

Personally I just try to forget about it when it happens - I had a round where I couldn't get off the tee at all, but on the flip side I was hitting my irons well and I probably had more practice with them as I was hitting shots from places I would never normally have been due to the bad tee shots

Other days I have been hitting well off the tee and irons, but couldn't putt.....so it all evens itself out, but it is a bit frustrating at times as I know that if I could put them both together I could shoot some better scores

At the end of the day, I am just glad to be able to get out for a round and it is the friends I play with that make the game fun

If you are like me, it may be a mechanical problem that has gone awry in your swing. You can't see this yourself and you just beat the hell out of balls trying to figure out what 's going on. When it gets to the point you are totally frustrated, it's time to see a doc. A good swing coach that can show you what you are doing mechanically wrong and then work on correcting the problem. I've been playing golf for more years than most of you have lived and have been doing it the wrong way. Yea sometimes I have a great timing day and strike the ball solid then it disappears just as quickly. I have had lessons from three different golf coaches that tried to get me back on track but I always slid back into my hacking ways. Recently I joined a new club and started lessons again. I heard through several members the head pro and his assistant are both excellent teachers of the game. In just one lesson with my new coach I am confident that through proper practice on proper technique I can get some consistent ball striking going on. I'm excited and that would be my advice to you. Find someone who you feel comfortable with and let them show you why you are not consistent. It could be something simple and fixable. Good luck to ya!

Man you and me both. Wish I knew what to do. It is hard not to curse myself for being a hacker. I've tried different things to try bounce back: range work, lesson, time off, short game practice, putting practice, go to a new golf course, purchase a new golf club, sell a golf club (heh heh)... I always think I find something which 'fixes' it for the next time, but it could just be a false solution.

Whatever it is, I hope it comes back to me this weekend... :act-up:

It happens to us all. I struggled on and off all summer more struggling than not. The last two rounds I spent more time before hand putting and more importantly chipping and pitching than I ever have before a round. This helped me to relax and get focused on making good ball contact the ball. I didnt focus on how close I got to the pin. I focused on making good contact on every shot which lead to me shooting two good scores on course that usually eat me up.

I suggest finding something to do before the round to relax and then when you step on the course focus on one shot at a time not the whole hole! best of luck to you.

Thanks guys. I spent the day putting up Christmas lights and didn't think about golf other than people going by in the fairway behind me.. I will just get out ther again soon and take it one shot at a time. Maybe I had a glitch in the swing that will disappear as soon as it showed up. Thanks again, and hit em straight!

Back