DG Spinner Wedge Shafts? Make that much of a difference?

Getitclose

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
I'm buying new wedges on Saturday and have been pondering the idea of putting DG Spinner shafts in them. I know they are heavier but do they really make that much of a difference?

It dpends on the golfer. It can definitely add some RPMs of spin, but it does alter ball flight as well. There is a THP Radio show on them on the home page that might be a good listen on them if you get a chance.

I have FST hi-rev, they are very good. Never tried the spinners.

I actually like the KBS hi Rev better, they were pretty similar, just another option lol

i'll never have another shaft in my wedges i don't think...i love these things. throwing darts.

They are definitely interesting. I've never hit them, but from what I heard they can make a pretty decent difference.

I like feel of the DG Spinners.

My son was hitting his Mizuno SW MPT-10 wedge with the Spinner. He was stopping range balls at 60 yds out next to the pin. The ball would just hit and spin down to a sudden stop. Awesome.

I'm using the Nippon NS Pro WV 105 wedge shaft in a Vokey 56. The ball flight is higher and I get a lot more spin on the ball with it. It has a smooth feel to it too. I have a slower swing speed and couldn't get the ball to hop and stop with the stock shaft. With the Nippon, it's no problem.

Will these add spin even if you are a "low spin" player with your wedges? Or will they simply add spin to those swings that already generate a good amount of spin? I can quite often get the ball to bounce and check up no problem but I rarely suck it back a little.

Will these add spin even if you are a "low spin" player with your wedges? Or will they simply add spin to those swings that already generate a good amount of spin? I can quite often get the ball to bounce and check up no problem but I rarely suck it back a little.

to be honest...my answer would have to be maybe? mostly b/c a 'low spin player' could be defined as someone who doesn't generate enough clubhead speed through the ball, WITH great contact/compression to get a serious amount of spin on the ball, that being said, these will help but only a little since these do in fact spin more than a typical wedge shaft (can't speak for the FST/KBS hi-rev tho) so you WILL see some more spin...but being a 'low spin player' probably won't yield you 'holy s*&$' kinda spin backs.

to be honest...my answer would have to be maybe? mostly b/c a 'low spin player' could be defined as someone who doesn't generate enough clubhead speed through the ball, WITH great contact/compression to get a serious amount of spin on the ball, that being said, these will help but only a little since these do in fact spin more than a typical wedge shaft (can't speak for the FST/KBS hi-rev tho) so you WILL see some more spin...but being a 'low spin player' probably won't yield you 'holy s*&$' kinda spin backs.

Great post!

I agree. I think the key to spin is good solid contact with a proper angle of approach and a "spinny" ball. If you add enough club head speed you will get that "holy s..t" spin.

I do think that these shafts do have some effect; maybe they add some speed at the ball without being too soft or flexible or maybe they are just magic.

I am a higher spin player, I don't back balls up all the time, but I have no problem with the hop and stop and occasionally with the right conditions I will back one up a few feet.

A golfing buddy has a set of Vokeys he just bought with DG spinners in them, he was always "wowing" went I hit one that put on the brakes or backed up a little...now he does it too....so it definately increased his spin it seems.

Ive got spinners in my 52* and 60* wedges. I find they do put a bit more spin on the ball. Some people dont like the feel of them though.

I just put one in a 52 and after practicing yesterday and a round today, really like what I saw. I was expecting a lower ball flight with some checking up after reading all the posts and listening to the THP Radio show, but the ball actually launched higher then stopped on a dime. I am a lower spin player, so was glad to see that the ball would stop like that from further out.

I'm interested in seeing how a 60 does with one, so that might be next.

I saw a decent increase in spin with them, unfortunately do not have a comparison with same head though. Anyone that's played with me knows i'm a high spin player and sometimes I have to hit a hold-off wedge just to reduce the spin a little.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want the increase in spin from 100 and in.

Great point as Thainer said. The thing is I've noticed a lower flight on partial shots which makes the shot easier for me to control. I went through a rough spot with my wedges but realized once I got back on the horse, these were a decent shaft. Would I go out of my way to get these again? Not really but they're good stock options IMO

I think you'll see some increase in spin provided you were seeing spin with your old set up. I saw a great deal of spin when I had them but didn't like them on full shots. But around the greens they were very effective. They maybe game changers, I say go for it.

I remember I tried these in a set of wedges I had and did not care for them at all. Not sure if now that my game has improved I should look at them again or just stay away.

I am not a high spin player so I tried these and absolutely loved them. I got great spin with them. I found them to be especially nice on less than full shots which is my primary swing with wedges.

Back