Whatever happened to golf etiquette?

On Saturday evening we got stuck behind a foursome playing the black tees when they should have been playing the whites. Constantly launching balls left and right and then teeing up a 2nd or even a 3rd try. Then looking for their lost balls for 5 minutes or so. Was just BRUTAL.

Many years ago when I was a junior memeber I was chipping with a couple of other jr's and this one kid grabbed a demo 60* and says watch this. He freakin started hammering balls over the golf carts trying to hit the putting green while people were trying to put he hit the freakin club house multiple times the pro came out and gave him an ear full and because I was in the vacininty I still to this day think that he thinks I has a part in it but I was telling the guy he was an idiot and I made some distance between us.

IMO, it has gotten worse over the last few years. The greens at my course look like a target on a firing range as somehow folks forgot how to repair a ball mark and yelling "fore" is an after thought.

Whats the worst etiqutte you've ever seen?

Whats the worst etiqutte you've ever seen?

I'll get the ball rolling by sharing my experience of the worst golf etiqutte ive ever seen. I was on 5th hole (par 5) at an old course (now demolished) and i was hitting my 3rd shot. (bear in mind i was only about 10 at the time) anyway, i was lining up my 3rd shot when THONK! 1 ball goes over my left shoulder and the other hits my bag. 10 seconds later another 3 balls come sailing past. I turn around to see 5 men slumping down the fairway with a box of beers in their hands. These 3 buffoons walked right past me without asking if they could play through and make remarks like "shouldnt a little kid be inside watching the wiggles or some ****?" and "piss of back home to ya mummy". Only one guy in the group apoligised, the sober driver i presume.
To sum up the situation with honesty 'i was scared ****less' considering i was only 10 & these blokes were young adults. Anyway these guys proceeded to finish the hole and carry on infront of me. The last thing i will say about this story is that i hope they try pull the same stunt on me when im alot older, because by then il fancy my chances of smacking them over! Haha

Anyway, share your guys stories of bad golf etiquette.

i've been golfing at my home course on a sunday and overheard a visiting guest say, 'i don't rake bunkers or fix marks on sundays...not only is it a day of rest but, thats what those guys get paid to do on maintenance mondays...'

...i almost took a rake to his knees.

This thread has potential to get really good.............

A guy laughed at one of my mishits in my foursome even though I didn't know him. I was driving down a fairway in cart when a ball slammed into the metal frame about 5 inches from my head. An errant drive without any warning (maybe he lost track iof it). And comically, a guy I was paired with riding in the same cart as me ate my hot dog, claiming he thought I bought it for him. That one was so ludicrous it was funny.

99% of the time though, I enjoy who I play with and everyone follws ettiquette for the most part.

And comically, a guy I was paired with riding in the same cart as me ate my hot dog, claiming he thought I bought it for him. That one was so ludicrous it was funny.

this is hysterical.

And comically, a guy I was paired with riding in the same cart as me ate my hot dog, claiming he thought I bought it for him. That one was so ludicrous it was funny.

yea thats is very funny and could actually see that really happening. You must have been both cracking up or at least laugh about it at parties. Its just way toooo funny. You shudda took a sleave of balls and thought he bought them for you.

The thing that drives me nuts at my course is the old guys who think they can drive their carts right up the fringe because they are members. This is just a muni course but still have a little pride and if you can't walk 20 feet to the green you might want to get a different hobby.k

I hate it when guys spit on the green. Had to ball out my best friend on this.

I hate it when guys piss in a spot where someone else could be looking for a ball later. If youre not gunna use the can, find a totally useless area.

Also, though most golfers are never taught any different - I don't like it when guys repair a ball mark by pushing down and up on the repair tool (leaving an unsightly brown mark) rather than turning the tool right to left to leave no sign of the mark.

At a public course, I once saw a guy piss on the 150 yard pin .... In the middle of the fairway

i've never experienced anything quite like what the OP listed, and good on him for keeping his cool, but I have seen my fair share of WTF-are-you-doing moments.

top one would probably be a round i played last summer.
went out on my own, had to run and gun. paired up with this nice old lady (who didn't know the first thing about a golf swing, but was kind and sweet either way), and this couple who looked like they were in their mid-to-late 20's, and didn't know the first thing about a swing either; but not in their minds.. the first hole, after the older woman and the man had tee'd off, the younger woman hooks 4 balls into the OB off the tee, then runs to her cart and screams "F**K IT!" the couple then proceeds to drive up to about 200 yards down the fairway (her ball only went in about 50 yrds past the tee) and the man says "should be in here somewhere... y'know what, i'll go look for 'em, you just drop and take your sweet time." side note: the older lady hit the cart path so she was about another 20 yards further. the young woman then proceeds to swing, miss, and throw her club into the brush, while screaming "F*** F*** F***!" alot of this happens, but the green is where it got bad. the older woman got a one putt, as did i, so we were the first people to clear the green (still standing on the fringe though, to be polite) and the woman still putting takes this huge swing, takes a divot out of the green, then proceeds to throw her scotty cameron putter into the lake, then grabs her partners scotty cameron putter, puts her ball back where it was, take another giant swing, and tries to snap his putter in half. i walked over to her and said "ma'am, would you mind stopping, you're making yourself look foolish" while the other woman was calling the proshop. let's just say the last 17 holes were very peaceful, and i made a new friend (I enjoy chatting with the older folk).

The thing that drives me nuts at my course is the old guys who think they can drive their carts right up the fringe because they are members. This is just a muni course but still have a little pride and if you can't walk 20 feet to the green you might want to get a different hobby.k

it's a good one, but sometimes they just can't walk that far. my friend (who is 92 yrs old) still plays, but his hips are as stiff as a rock, and he can't hit a drive longer than 120 yards anymore. he's courtious about it, but he does drive up to about 20 feet from the edge of the green. he just can't walk that well, and he excercises every day. wouldn't be surprised if this was the same for these people. not saying this is an excuse, but it could be a legitimate reason.

we have a handful of guys at our club that do that. Many of the members keep a cart at the club and many of them have handicapped priveleges and are allowed to drive in places where able members and non-members are not allowed to drive. These are guys of advanced age and with various mobility or respiratory issues. They are registered with the club and keep a blue handicapped flag on their cart. I've never even thought about whether this is allowed on a public course or not.

I have seen these guys numerous times and they are able to walk from the cart paths which are pretty close to all of the greens they just refuse to do it. I would be the last one to question someone that needed to get that close if necessary.

i've never experienced anything quite like what the OP listed, and good on him for keeping his cool, but I have seen my fair share of WTF-are-you-doing moments.

top one would probably be a round i played last summer.
went out on my own, had to run and gun. paired up with this nice old lady (who didn't know the first thing about a golf swing, but was kind and sweet either way), and this couple who looked like they were in their mid-to-late 20's, and didn't know the first thing about a swing either; but not in their minds.. the first hole, after the older woman and the man had tee'd off, the younger woman hooks 4 balls into the OB off the tee, then runs to her cart and screams "F**K IT!" the couple then proceeds to drive up to about 200 yards down the fairway (her ball only went in about 50 yrds past the tee) and the man says "should be in here somewhere... y'know what, i'll go look for 'em, you just drop and take your sweet time." side note: the older lady hit the cart path so she was about another 20 yards further. the young woman then proceeds to swing, miss, and throw her club into the brush, while screaming "F*** F*** F***!" alot of this happens, but the green is where it got bad. the older woman got a one putt, as did i, so we were the first people to clear the green (still standing on the fringe though, to be polite) and the woman still putting takes this huge swing, takes a divot out of the green, then proceeds to throw her scotty cameron putter into the lake, then grabs her partners scotty cameron putter, puts her ball back where it was, take another giant swing, and tries to snap his putter in half. i walked over to her and said "ma'am, would you mind stopping, you're making yourself look foolish" while the other woman was calling the proshop. let's just say the last 17 holes were very peaceful, and i made a new friend (I enjoy chatting with the older folk).

Wow, that is crazy! I would have waited for them to leave and then jumped in the pond looking for the Scameron hehe.

Wow, that is crazy! I would have waited for them to leave and then jumped in the pond looking for the Scameron hehe.

That's funny, but I would never get into a golf course pond on purpose!

That's funny, but I would never get into a golf course pond on purpose!

yeah. the guy who goes swimming in there for balls sure had a good day, though.

yeah. the guy who goes swimming in there for balls sure had a good day, though.
We have a guy who comes out to our course too. He is Lost Ball Paul. Goes in with full SCUBA gear.

I know I wouldn't want to go in there with all the chemicals that run off into the ponds.

Etiquette went the same way as common sense has gone in this nation.

Wherever you play you will always end up with a d**k in your group

Back