Which Option Would You Take?

I'd take the two putts. That guarantees a two stroke drop. The extra yards doesn't guarantee anything other than 15yds longer.

I'd take the two putts. That guarantees a two stroke drop. The extra yards doesn't guarantee anything other than 15yds longer.

Plus what would you have to argue about all round long?

Plus I will walk onto the greens at True Blue and Caledonia and just say "daddy's home" :laughing:

I think I'd take the 15 yards. The putts would guarantee 2 strokes lower but being 15 yards closer I think could take off more than 2. My iron play hasn't been great lately so I'm always trying to get the lowest possible iron in my hands.

I would take the putts. I already hit the driver pretty well and a guarantee of making 2 more putts is pure MONEY !

I would take the putts. You never know how the green is gonna be depending on where you land it at... 15 yards wont help as much as the putts

I"m not the longest off of the tee, but I'll take the 2 putts any day. You improve your game from the hole back, not from the tee box. It's a guarantee of a 2 stroke better score.

I'd take the extra distance - I'd rather have scoring clubs in my hands as much as possible.

I did the experiment that I posted with my response. What I learned is that it's the short game (wedges and putting) where good scores are made. Everyone should try it, imho!!!

This is from Terry Koehler's article...
"But just for fun, you should see what 15 more yards would really do for your scores . . . if that was even “for sale” out there in the marketplace. The next time you play a recreational round, after each drive, pick up your ball and walk it 15 yards further down the line it was traveling when it came to rest. Whether it was headed straight down the fairway, or towards the OB stakes, water or bunker . . . 15 more yards, OK?
My bet is that it would not change your scores even one stroke for the better. But I’d sure like to hear what you guys find out with this little experiment."

This is simple for me. I would take the putts for sure.

Now here is why:

Taking the 15 yard drives would be similar to playing a course that is 210 yards shorter than usual (i.e. 15 yards multiplied by the 14 drives you would hit). I don't think that 200 yards difference in a course would yield a savings of more than 2 strokes on average for me. I think I would need to get into the 300-350 yard difference on a course to get better than a -2 stroke average savings.

I would take the putts. That GUARANTEES a lower score.

Longer drives are nice, but I can handle taking the extra club for the guarantee of more putts made.

I'm in this boat. Longer doesn't mean lower.

This is simple for me. I would take the putts for sure.

Now here is why:

Taking the 15 yard drives would be similar to playing a course that is 210 yards shorter than usual (i.e. 15 yards multiplied by the 14 drives you would hit). I don't think that 200 yards difference in a course would yield a savings of more than 2 strokes on average for me. I think I would need to get into the 300-350 yard difference on a course to get better than a -2 stroke average savings.
Then go back to the point I made earlier. In my opinion, if you are going to be longer with your driver, you are also going to be longer with your irons. So where the simple way of thinking is that you will be hitting one to one and a half clubs less with your irons, since you also hit THOSE farther, you can effectively say that you will be hitting two to three clubs less on your irons. That should get you to the 300-350 yard difference you mentioned earlier.

It's part of the reason why long hitters say they would give up distance for accuracy, but short hitters want to take the extra distance. They say that the distance isn't that big a deal, but you can only say that if you have it.

It's part of the reason why long hitters say they would give up distance for accuracy, but short hitters want to take the extra distance. They say that the distance isn't that big a deal, but you can only say that if you have it.

Luke Donald I think would be an awesome person to answer that question.

Luke Donald I think would be an awesome person to answer that question.

Most of us aren't Luke Donald. Corey Pavin would be able to answer it too, but most of us aren't him either.

Then go back to the point I made earlier. In my opinion, if you are going to be longer with your driver, you are also going to be longer with your irons. So where the simple way of thinking is that you will be hitting one to one and a half clubs less with your irons, since you also hit THOSE farther, you can effectively say that you will be hitting two to three clubs less on your irons. That should get you to the 300-350 yard difference you mentioned earlier.

Sounds like you are adding your own rules to this hypothetical... I choose to go by what JB posted. I could be convinced to change my opinion using the separate assumptions that you created.

Sounds like you are adding your own rules to this hypothetical... I choose to go by what JB posted. I could be convinced to change my opinion using the separate assumptions that you created.

Just going by what I have seen in the people I play with. People who are longer are usually longer with every club.

Most of us aren't Luke Donald. Corey Pavin would be able to answer it too, but most of us aren't him either.

Also true. I guess it kinda depends on what you care about more: lower scores? Or hitting it longer?

Also true. I guess it kinda depends on what you care about more: lower scores? Or hitting it longer?

I think if you keep in in play, you can have both. I also think the lower your handicap, the more the guaranteed putts will do for you compared to extra length for higher handicaps. Especially if nothing else improved on your short game other than those two putts (as a higher handicapper).

I would take the putts. Way too many missed birdies or missed par saves for me.

guaranteed putts for sure! I can always scramble around and making a long par would be great especially in a match!

Back