Worst Sounding Driver Currently

As much as I love it....Ping Anser gets my vote as well.

The rocketballz tour sounds pretty wierd to me. Not the worst out there but its definatley different.

Kinda seeing same four come up a lot (R11, R11S, Rbz, Anser). Anyone have access to some demo drivers and cam make a video with sound of these four?

I wonder what weight this thread will carry with the manufacturers.

I agree with R11... sounds like a can of beans.

I, like others, think SS plays alot into how drivers sound. Some drivers that sound ok when I swing them, have sounded terrible with certain playing partners. There was a guy at the range who was SMOKING a 9088UL, Clearing 300 yards easy, I would guess his SS was 125 or so. I've never heard a worse sound in my life. It sounded like one of those old Nike drivers. My dad plays the same thing but swings 30 mph slower, and it sounds just fine.

I wonder what weight this thread will carry with the manufacturers.

I agree with R11... sounds like a can of beans.

I remember back when the Boccieri Heavy Driver was reviewed, it was discussed how much time and money Boccieri put into the acoustic side of design.

I think it was a Nike,that big square headed one....was it called Sasquatch? All I know is that you knew someone was using one two tees over! It's been a few years since I've heard one though.

I think it was a Nike,that big square headed one....was it called Sasquatch? All I know is that you knew someone was using one two tees over! It's been a few years since I've heard one though.

I used to game it, Nike Sumo SQ 5900. That thing was loud but was several years ago. Have any that stick out from the current year or 2 of gear?

I just read the thread and saw "Current"...sorry! I have no opinion on current drivers then

I just read the thread and saw "Current"...sorry! I have no opinion on current drivers then

Lol, no problem man. Youre not the first or the last to skim this and most every other thread here. Its interesting though to see how alot of clubs get votes for the worst sounding club in this thread but get votes for the best sounding club in our other thread. Thats the great thing about golf, its all personal.

I wasn't a big fan of the Anser Sound. I personally love the sound of the R11..

To protect the hearing of the general public, many of these newer 460cc drivers should come with EAR MUFFS muffs as well as Headcovers.. (Guess why I still prefer my older, smaller, sweet-sounding drivers)

:act-up:

Couldn't agree more on the old SQ Nike drivers sounding terrible. There's a guy at our course that uses one. I can hear it anywhere on the course.....like an aluminum bat.

But out of the current line, it's last years model, but the Callaway Razr drivers from 2011 were pretty horrible sounding to me.

~Rock

My Callaway RazrHawk is like hitting a soft pillow!

I have a Cobra Zl driver and it sounds better than any driver I've ever played. It has a powerful "Thwack" sound. The Cobras from 7 or 8 years ago were awful.

Haven't really payed any attention to the "Assembly Line Drivers" put out by Taylor....

Last edited:
Just heard one this weekend and I'd have to go with the Anser. Out of the current crop. Worst ever for me was the Sumo 5900. Gawd if that thing wasn't straight as crap though.

Ha how can you say that??
I love my R11s - just received it but going to try the Ping Anser next from the guys at GolfRedefined.
Worst sound club that I have ever had or tried - Nike SQ Machspeed...Jeez...made me want to run and hide in shame!

R11S. Freaking awful

Ha how can you say that??
I love my R11s - just received it but going to try the Ping Anser next from the guys at GolfRedefined.
Worst sound club that I have ever had or tried - Nike SQ Machspeed...Jeez...made me want to run and hide in shame!

Because it sounds like hitting a golf ball with a toaster attached to a stick. Its sad how TM's drivers sound now compared to what they used to.

I agree on the SQ, that was baaaaaaaaaaaad.

I have a Cobra Zl driver and it sounds better than any driver I've ever played. It has a poweful "Thwack" sound. The Cobras from 7 or 8 years ago were awful.

Haven't really payed any attention to the "Assembly Line Drivers" put out by Taylor....
Agreed, that is one company that has gotten a lot better on sound!

Current crop would be the Cobra Amp ... not that it sounds terrible, it's that you can't hear it - sounds about like an oversize 3 wood - just a little "tink", but it goes where I want it to..

Most identifiable driver has to be the couple year old Callaway square head FT-i - sounds just like hitting an empty 55 gallon drum with a wooden baseball bat. It's the only driver that will literally make me laugh out loud, it sounds so bizarre. A buddy of mine plays one & if he gets teamed up in another group - it's easy to locate him anywhere on the golf course ...

PS - Earlier this year I picked up a minty Nike SQ driver for $16 at Golfsmith for fun - didn't know about the noise until the first trip to the covered range - holycr@p, my ears were ringing after that outing - first time I ever wished I had ear plugs at a driving range !! To its benefit, it has the longest drive of my year under it's belt ... that ultra heavy head gets it out there when it goes straight (just didn't go straight very often) ...

Last edited:
haha I heard about that. I'm surprised how many times the Anser has been mentioned already.

Same here ... Ping has always been known to "acoustically tune" their woods - seemed that fell by the wayside with their current top driver

BTW. For those Taylormade junkies, don't worry about the sound of your new 11 or 11s. They'll have a new one coming out every 6 months..... "24 yards longer, 24 new adjustments blah blah blah......

BTW. For those Taylormade junkies, don't worry about the sound of your new 11 or 11s. They'll have a new one coming out every 6 months..... "24 yards longer, 24 new adjustments blah blah blah......

Ironically enough that has not happened in quite some time. Each of their last few releases has been yearly. While they get a bad rap on it from the past (deservedly so), over the last 2 years that has not been the case.

Another driver I forgot about is the Mizuno JPX800. I was handed it during a fitting last year and after a couple hits handed it back to him. Good lord it sounded and felt awful.

Back