Callaway RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver - THP Preview & Review Thread

I'd love to see what a 11.5 could do for me man. The only thing I'd like to see is a little more height at this point. I will admit that it took me a while to warm up to this one. It's just different than the Classic. Shallower, heavier shaft, different shaft, etc. It's really started to shine for me though. Great sounding driver too.

I'll update a little more thoroughly later on, but I did want to say that I like this driver more every time I get out with it. Today I felt like I was hitting it very well. Seems forgiving enough out on the toe. Trajectory is a little lower than I'm used to, but it is a 9.5° head. The stock Trinity shaft is pretty good in my opinion. I think it's more stout than the C Kua I play and maybe not as high launching.

I like what your saying about the Trinity shaft compared to the C Kua which I never got along with.

I want to lay hands on it before committing, but it seems almost certain that I will have one early in 2013.

I like what your saying about the Trinity shaft compared to the C Kua which I never got along with.

I want to lay hands on it before committing, but it seems almost certain that I will have one early in 2013.

I've really been trying to pay attention to that shaft because of what you mentioned before. It's just different for me. I'm not sure I can put it into words at this time. I definitely see a lower ball flight than with my Classic. Whether that's the shaft, the head, or a combo of both remains to be seen. One of these days I'll get some numbers to post.

I'm jealous Hawk!

I decided during my round yesterday that I love my Fit 11.5 so much that its pretty much mandatory I pick up an 11.5 Xrreme Fit.
Because having one perfect driver is never enough. :alien:

I hit this Saturday night for some fun time on a sim and yesterday on the golf course. I hit quite a few shots with it after my first drive for testings sake. I may go back to the weight in heel as shortening my swing seems to have reduced my big hooks and I'm seeing some pushes to the right occasionally. Basically not turning the ball over quite as much as I'd like to and wondering if I can change that with the weights.

Distance so far appears to be similar to what I'd expect from my other driver, though some of that is reliant on roll at this point. I'll try to get some launch data before this is all over, but nothing to share yet in that regard. Ball flight is defnitely lower than my other driver and I"m throwing out some mid height line drives for the most part. While the loft is 9.5° (my normal driver is 10.5°), the shaft I'm using is an R flex Aldila Trinity. My assumption was that I'd see more height just based on shaft flex, but that hasn't been the case. For what it's worth, I launch low in general and a soft tipped shaft usually works to get it higher for me. I don't know what that tells me about the Trinity other than I know I'm hitting the ball lower. It seems pretty stout to me for a R flex shaft. That's a relative description, by the way - not saying the R flex is stout. I'm just comparing it to how my 43S feels since it's the driver I've used for almost 8 months now.

I do notice a little more weight in my hands, which makes sense. It is heavier than what I play. I'm a huge fan of the way it sounds/feels on center struck shots. Definitely louder than the very muted Classic, but a very pleasing sound that sits right in the middle for me. Forgiveness is surprisingly good on the toe. I hit one out there yesterday and was left with a nice ball flight, shot shape, and more distance than I expected.

In all, so far, so good. Needed a little adjustment period to get used it for whatever reason - my guess is weight, shaft profile and depth of face. Now it's really coming together and I'm a fan.

I hit this Saturday night for some fun time on a sim and yesterday on the golf course. I hit quite a few shots with it after my first drive for testings sake. I may go back to the weight in heel as shortening my swing seems to have reduced my big hooks and I'm seeing some pushes to the right occasionally. Basically not turning the ball over quite as much as I'd like to and wondering if I can change that with the weights.

Distance so far appears to be similar to what I'd expect from my other driver, though some of that is reliant on roll at this point. I'll try to get some launch data before this is all over, but nothing to share yet in that regard. Ball flight is defnitely lower than my other driver and I"m throwing out some mid height line drives for the most part. While the loft is 9.5° (my normal driver is 10.5°), the shaft I'm using is an R flex Aldila Trinity. My assumption was that I'd see more height just based on shaft flex, but that hasn't been the case. For what it's worth, I launch low in general and a soft tipped shaft usually works to get it higher for me. I don't know what that tells me about the Trinity other than I know I'm hitting the ball lower. It seems pretty stout to me for a R flex shaft. That's a relative description, by the way - not saying the R flex is stout. I'm just comparing it to how my 43S feels since it's the driver I've used for almost 8 months now.

I do notice a little more weight in my hands, which makes sense. It is heavier than what I play. I'm a huge fan of the way it sounds/feels on center struck shots. Definitely louder than the very muted Classic, but a very pleasing sound that sits right in the middle for me. Forgiveness is surprisingly good on the toe. I hit one out there yesterday and was left with a nice ball flight, shot shape, and more distance than I expected.

In all, so far, so good. Needed a little adjustment period to get used it for whatever reason - my guess is weight, shaft profile and depth of face. Now it's really coming together and I'm a fan.

Good thoughts Hawk, I'm looking forward to reading more as time goes on.

Off to a good start Hawk, will be interested to see how it works for you over time. I only had a few swings with it a few weeks ago, but I could easily have replaced the Classic on the spot with this beast

Thanks guys.

Did you hit it lower than the Classic, Mike?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you make the weight adjustment. So far some great findings. I'm interested to hear more comparisons on the ball flight that people are seeing as more people get it in their hands. I saw a mid flight with the stock Fit shaft from last year and I'm interested to see if more and more people find a low flight like you since you say you normally launch the ball low anyway.

Thanks guys.

Did you hit it lower than the Classic, Mike?

overall, yes I did, the 1 really bad one I did hit was a skied slice

The feel and results were just too hard to ignore, a solid club indeed

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you make the weight adjustment. So far some great findings. I'm interested to hear more comparisons on the ball flight that people are seeing as more people get it in their hands. I saw a mid flight with the stock Fit shaft from last year and I'm interested to see if more and more people find a low flight like you since you say you normally launch the ball low anyway.

I imagine that others would hit it higher than I do for sure. I just launch low across the board it seems.

overall, yes I did, the 1 really bad one I did hit was a skied slice

The feel and results were just too hard to ignore, a solid club indeed

Thanks man. I agree with you - very solid. Looks pretty cool too.

Greg/Dan or JB - What was that orange shaft in the extreme in Myrtle? I only ripped a few balls but it was nice, may be pondering a new shaft and driver...

Greg/Dan or JB - What was that orange shaft in the extreme in Myrtle? I only ripped a few balls but it was nice, may be pondering a new shaft and driver...

I wonder if it was the Matrix RUL???
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...atrix-Ozik-RUL-amp-M3-Black-Tie-Shaft-Preview
DSC_0015-1.jpg

It as a Tour AD Di-7s. It's a great shaft and you hit it pretty well if I remember correctly. And so was everyone else. Haha.

It as a Tour AD Di-7s. It's a great shaft and you hit it pretty well if I remember correctly. And so was everyone else. Haha.

Cool, whats the difference between the di-6 and 7? It felt really good.

Good stuff buddy. You've got some very interested Callaway staffers hanging on your every word in this review! I like that you notice a little more weight in your hands with this driver, I'm guessing similar to the weight of the Bridgestone J40, not heavy but definitely not one of those uber light weight drivers. Keep the updates rolling along my man, PS- it's awesome that you're still able to get out and play golf. We lost the battle about 10 days or so ago.

Cool, whats the difference between the di-6 and 7? It felt really good.

I believe it's just the weight. I think the 6 is 60 grams and the 7 in 70 grams.

...almost hahaha!!

That is a very solid shaft though. Lots of positive results in Myrtle for guys on the range with that thing.

Cool, might have to put in some Bay time.

I think I might try to find an x in that shaft. If I can find a good deal we can work something out for my S if you can't find one.

I think I might try to find an x in that shaft. If I can find a good deal we can work something out for my S if you can't find one.

Ok, what length is the shaft incase I wanted to pull the tip?

Ok, what length is the shaft incase I wanted to pull the tip?

It plays 44" with the tip on there. So maybe a little less without it on. Like 43 3/4" or 43 1/2" maybe.
Mine plays to 45.5" when put in the head.

I believe it's just the weight. I think the 6 is 60 grams and the 7 in 70 grams.

DI-7 will usually play stiffer than the DI-6, as well. There's a thread about these shafts in the shaft forum.

It plays 44" with the tip on there. So maybe a little less without it on. Like 43 3/4" or 43 1/2" maybe.
Mine plays to 45.5" when put in the head.

10-4, let me know if you find an X. I may just buy the xtreme.

10-4, let me know if you find an X. I may just buy the xtreme.

I believe you can pay an upcharge and have the DI put in as the stock shaft. Well that was how it was last year so I would imagine they would continue that as well.

Back