What makes you different, THP

jimnycricket65

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.7
I am new to thp and have nothing but good to say. I share about thp with the people I think would benefit from it-I have. When I meet a golfer on the field, I am itching to ask if they are thp member; instead of wanting to chat about mundane jokes or swing tips, I want to invite them to thp. We should have a thp business card to distribute.

I see so many good people (at least behind the forum) in words, gestures, and now slowly meeting folks in person - my golf domain is meshing with others. I kept golf private passion and now I am enjoying going public via www.

I keep wondering how did it come about that good folks are gathered here and I keep seeing it true. I do think it's the game of golf that contributes.

I am gonna think on it more, read other's posts and respond back later...

Last edited:
I think it becomes perfectly clear when you read the THP forums that it's full of good people.

It's also perfectly clear that JB, Morgan and the mods don't put up with people acting inappropriately.

Those two things likely cause the jerks to quickly realize it's not a place where they can play their normal games. So, they go look for other places where they can let their "Internet personality" run wild.

Whatever the reason, we all benefit from the wonderful environment and people of THP.

I am new to thp and have nothing but good to say. I share about thp with the people I think would benefit from it-I have. When I meet a golfer on the field, I am itching to ask if they are thp member; instead of wanting to chat about mundane jokes or swing tips, I want to invite them to thp. We should have a thp business card to distribute.

I see so many good people (at least behind the forum) in words, gestures, and now slowly meeting folks in person - my golf domain is meshing with others. I kept golf private passion and now I am enjoying going public via www.

I keep wondering how did it come about that good folks are gathered here and I keep seeing it true. I do think it's the game of golf that contributes.

I am gonna think on it more, read other's posts and respond back later...

Do what I do Jimny, get their email address ( I usually just get them to give it to me in the voice recorder on my phone ) then send them an invite. The tab is above and the link is http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/misc.php?do=vsaareginv

I came here looking for reviews on clubs I was about to buy. Two years later I'm attending a THP event, playing golf with local DFW'ers on THP and now in the Morgan Cup. Crazy to even think that this all started with a Google search.

I'm with Wade, it's the people and knowledge here that keeps bringing me back. There is an adult tone here but at the same time we can all have fun and banter with each other.

I came here looking for reviews on clubs I was about to buy. Two years later I'm attending a THP event, playing golf with local DFW'ers on THP and now in the Morgan Cup. Crazy to even think that this all started with a Google search.

I'm with Wade, it's the people and knowledge here that keeps bringing me back. There is an adult tone here but at the same time we can all have fun and banter with each other.

Well said, pretty much the same for me. Crazy to believe what has happened since I stumbled upon this forum less than 2 years ago.

I found THP looking for reviews about the old Nickent 3DX Square driver. Peeked around, bought the club, disappeared. One day I came back and that was it, I fell for the personalities and the kindness that is here compared to anywhere else. Yes, the prospect of contests and forum testings was of allure too, but those to me quickly get outshined by the PEOPLE here. Fast forward to meeting Josh and Morgan in Austin as well as a host of other characters I now call dear friends and I really do call this a family.

THP has always been there for me, through a lot of dark stuff, that means more to me than any position or whatever ever could. Its sappy to some I know, but to me its just a fact, I really do love this place.

I came here for the burner 09 contest. Stayed here for the personalities.

I am different than most on THP because like many, I am not afraid to speak my mind, regardless of who I will disagree with. I rarely, if ever, have a filter.

I've recently changed a little, to become better on the forums, with a more positive outlook. I don't participate as much, but I participate more in a concentrated (better/acceptable/golf) area to keep from the speaking of my mind to a slight minimum.

TTing

I will add this, the coolest thing about THP is that when you finally MEET people in person, its like you've already known eachother forever. Hell, I'd never met Cookie and he welcomed me in and let me ride with him to Austin with he and his kids and even let me stay with them at his sister's, from the moment I walked into his house there was never a moment of anything other than friendship and normal banter. In Austin the same was with meeting JB and GG, I was nervous as sin until they welcomed us in to sit down and chat in the RV, it was like we'd known eachother for a long long time. I could go on and on, like with my buddy Tim actually driving through from Houston to pick me up at my house on the way to IOWA! Just great, great, people.

Hell, I venture to say many that met me will say similar about me, I'm just as blunt an opinionated in person as I am on here, and I like to talk....hahaha, but I think I'm always entertaining as well!

I will add this, the coolest thing about THP is that when you finally MEET people in person, its like you've already known eachother forever. Hell, I'd never met Cookie and he welcomed me in and let me ride with him to Austin with he and his kids and even let me stay with them at his sister's, from the moment I walked into his house there was never a moment of anything other than friendship and normal banter. In Austin the same was with meeting JB and GG, I was nervous as sin until they welcomed us in to sit down and chat in the RV, it was like we'd known eachother for a long long time. I could go on and on, like with my buddy Tim actually driving through from Houston to pick me up at my house on the way to IOWA! Just great, great, people.

Hell, I venture to say many that met me will say similar about me, I'm just as blunt an opinionated in person as I am on here, and I like to talk....hahaha, but I think I'm always entertaining as well!

Bolded for absolute truth! Rep added

I can honestly say that THP became a different place for me when I started meeting people in real life at the various outings and events. It is so easy to think of the avatar you are bantering with without realizing that it is an actual person. That realization really changed things for me and made me much more invested than I was previously.

I've been here long enough to predate most of the events as they stand now, and I can say that the place has changed in some ways that come with growth. There were times I was leary of the change, but JB and GG know what they are doing and if something doesn't go as planned, they adjust and make it better going forward.

As great as THP is, there are folks that do not ultimately find this set of rules to be the ones they want to play by. That is ok, and is neither an indictment of THP or those individuals. There are folks that want to use whatever words they want, when THP has always been a family friendly forum. That is ok, and is neither an indictment of THP or those individuals. There are people who come here looking for free stuff, and when they don't get it, they don't pay attention to all the other great stuff available, and they bolt...that one is a them problem. Everyone has different needs and THP HQ has given many of us a place that we want to spend a bunch of time, but you have to put into it to get the enjoyment out of it.

In a lot of ways, I consider this the equivalent of what other folks find in their country clubs or other social groups. It is a group of people with whom I share a passion (golf), even if our political views, social views, etc range all over the map.

Ad, great post buddy. Seriously.

I, too, found THP on a google search for reviews on a club. I spent some time reading through the forum as a visitor, then signed up to join the conversation, and recently joined the Albatross club to give my support to the community. There seem to be some genuine, caring, passionate people on this forum which is exactly what I want to surround myself with. It doesn't hurt that there is some really good information and advice to be had in addition to great opportunities to participate and even win some great prizes along the way. I can say that in the short time I have been here, it has become a huge part of my life and everyone around me that has anything to do with golf now knows about THP.

Meeting THPers changed my world in such a big way.

I was here for the club chat in 2010. It got a bit more depth in 2011 with the local outings, and then Atlanta earlier this year changed my opinion entirely. THP isn't just an online shoe rack for me. It's a place where my friends come to talk about golf. Guys that are just like me, spread out throughout the world. Some of my current favourite people are THPers and I can't wait to meet more.

Different? I don't think it's about what makes us different as much as it is what makes us uniquely similar.

Tons of great posts in this thread. I think the question in the OP is throwing me off but I'm just going to keep going with the flow. I found THP via another online golf forum that was not always friendly and where the people constantly harrassed "newbies" and there was an overall negative vibe. Someone posted a rant about how they wish that (other) place was like THP which was brand new at the time. I quickly jumped over to find out what I was missing. I haven't left since!

Others have said it better than I can, but this place is unique in that the community of friends here is very strong and as Jman mentioned, you meet another THP'er and it's like you've known them for years almost. It's awesome really. As ad mentioned the growth of THP does certainly bring about change but it's nice to see that the core values of THP are still the same. We're a friendly little website/forum that people can come to talk about golf and whatever else happens to be rattling around inside their head. THP has changed the way I play golf and the way I appreciate the game of golf, I'm forever thankful for that.

Tons of great posts in this thread. I think the question in the OP is throwing me off but I'm just going to keep going with the flow. I found THP via another online golf forum that was not always friendly and where the people constantly harrassed "newbies" and there was an overall negative vibe. Someone posted a rant about how they wish that (other) place was like THP which was brand new at the time. I quickly jumped over to find out what I was missing. I haven't left since!

Others have said it better than I can, but this place is unique in that the community of friends here is very strong and as Jman mentioned, you meet another THP'er and it's like you've known them for years almost. It's awesome really. As ad mentioned the growth of THP does certainly bring about change but it's nice to see that the core values of THP are still the same. We're a friendly little website/forum that people can come to talk about golf and whatever else happens to be rattling around inside their head. THP has changed the way I play golf and the way I appreciate the game of golf, I'm forever thankful for that.

Dude, it was like I'd known you forever in Iowa, and we didn't even get to golf together! I'll never forget just getting a "welcome to the family" from you and Hawkster since I'd just become a staffer. Good stuff.

This thread puts a big ole smile on my face.

I think the name pretty much says it all. A lot of us came here because we were disillusioned with other sites. This is a place where it doesn't matter whether you are a tour pro or someone who shoots a 150 (200 with no cheating). From the first post, everyone is made to feel welcome, and so once people find THP, they immediately feel at home.

Dude, it was like I'd known you forever in Iowa, and we didn't even get to golf together! I'll never forget just getting a "welcome to the family" from you and Hawkster since I'd just become a staffer. Good stuff.

This thread puts a big ole smile on my face.
I hear ya, we definitely have to get that round in ASAP.....maybe a THP Texas Invitational perhaps?

I came here for the Burner 2.0 giveaway in Oct 2010. I stayed because of the fun and people. Having spent time with the people, I won't leave. The first time I met THPers in Iowa, it was like old friends getting together. We don't always get along. Some have gone, many have come along and joined.

I trust the members of THP to look out for one another.

I came here for the Burner 2.0 giveaway in Oct 2010. I stayed because of the fun and people. Having spent time with the people, I won't leave. The first time I met THPers in Iowa, it was like old friends getting together. We don't always get along. Some have gone, many have come along and joined.

I trust the members of THP to look out for one another.
Mason jars brother, big ones. From then on I was a BG fan.

I have not been a member for a very long time here and have yet to meet any THPer in person ( cant wait to do so) but from my very short time I have enjoyed this place so much I come back daily. Sometimes I post quite a bit and other times just reading others reviews and posts. I think it comes from a mutual love for a great game but more importantly a respect for others and their opinions. We have different views on so many different subjects and topics but when you respect others and their opinions you get a great place that people will keep coming back to day in day out. That atmosphere is felt by many people here and I have personally felt that as well, pretty cool if you ask me.

I can't remember why I came here. I think it was the British Open contest in 2011. I don't really care. THP rules. I went to my first gathering in early September, and I've nearly emptied my bank account attending two more since then! The people here are awesome for the most part, and like others have said when I met people I felt like I'd known them forever! I've made awesome friendships here and don't plan on leaving anytime soon (sorry for that lol). I'm still looking forward to meeting more of you in the future!

Meeting THPers is icing on the cake! Puts what this site is all about in perspective.

This thread is going to an outstanding read! As Jake stated, the OP kinda through me off and took it another way. I feel it's a place you can be yourself, not different. But I too will continue the flow. It was during a search for irons wanting to get into improving from a hacker to a golfer that I found THP. I quickly joined to gain access the wealth of information here and soon after followed up with the AC membership. It wasn't the lure of prizes and testing opportunities that persuaded me, but the environment. It seemed at the time that this was a place where old high school/college buddies came to pass the time with their love for the game. Only to find out they were all over the world and some have never even met in person before. You will always hear the "click", "boysclub" and whatever, I was even there at one point. You will just not understand until you put yourself out there. I have played more golf this year than my entire life and have greatly enjoyed the new friends I've met. I've played several rounds with local THPr's and it just doesn't get any better than that.

My knowledge of the game jumped ten fold with the information that was available here and felt welcome from the beginning. I wanted to be a part of this family and so, without even played much at all, went to my first outing in IOWA. Was nervous as could be and even posted that on my drive from my pit stop in KC. Even before I got there I had replies telling me to relax and to get ready for a good time. Gordan met me with literal open arms and Bulldog was my chauffeur for the weekend, even though I had a car. Watching golf with these guys (cause I sure didn't play it) was a great experience, Nate just give me the usual please. I met a ton of great THP legends that weekend and that was it...hooked! So much so that I even opened up my home to a traveling member gathering a life experience around the United States. Something I would not even have considered in the past. Even so was a bit worried to be honest, but it just felt right. I would do it again in a heart beat!

When the outing in May opened up, I jumped in head first, these events just really bring everyone together I think. If you really want to soak in THP, attend an event of ANY kind, local or abroad.

What makes me different on THP? I think THP has allowed me to get to know myself again and see what great people are out there, not make me different.

Back