Hilton Head - Need Recs

DCNatFan

Reaction score
Handicap
Headin to Hilton Head in August for vacation. Only get to play 2 rounds while we are there so trying to make the most of it. Last year we played Harbourtown and loved it.

Any suggestions on the best places to play in the area?

HHI Courses

HHI Courses

Hi, have lived on HHI now for 9 years now. My suggestions would be:

1. Hilton Head National-1/2 mi off island, exc condition, 3 nines and all are tight
2. Arthur Hills Course in Palmetto Dunes-prob the best public course on the island. Very challenging.
3. Crescent Golf Club- 3 mi off island. Arnold Palmer design, very demanding and very scenic.
4. Country Club of Hilton Head- my home track, very difficult but enjoyable. Was 2005 US Open qualifier.

#1 is easiest of all, #2 is most difficult.

Enjoy the hot weather, expect 90-93* 100% humidity, and PM thunderstorms .

We have a couple of others in the area that I assume will chime in today.

If you've already played the Sea Pines courses, there are only a handful of public access or resort courses that are on the same level. I would definitely check out May River at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff in Bluffton (One of Nicklaus' best ever). An amazing golf course and May River may be better than even Harbour Town. There are a ton of great private courses in the area (Long Cove, Colleton River, Belfair, Old Tabby Links on Spring Island, Chechesse Creek Club in Okatie) that if you have access to, you should definitely do it. I think at some of the private ones mentioned above, if they think you're interested in buying a lot, they sometimes will let you play as an unaccompanied guest. You just have to set it up through the real estate office.

The May River course looks great, but very pricey. They insist on you taking a caddy ($50+-), and the greens fees run around $ 125-150. Just more money than my game is worth.

It is definitely pricey, but I was assuming if he shelled out the bucks to play Harbour Town then May River would be considered a bargain. It is by all accounts one of the top 5 courses in S.C., which says a lot when you consider the quality of golf we're blessed with in the Palmetto state.

Back