It will just click

scottliv

Reaction score
Handicap
ME
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and quite new to golf (about 18 months)

I just wondered what people thought on progress in the early stages of playing the game.

I have been told by a lot of people that one day it will just click, I think I had that moment in my last game after having the worst first 9 I have played going out (70!) I then completed the last 7 holes only 4 over on those holes. I only made one slight change for those 7 holes due to a comment from my playing partner.

I really hope this is what people are talking about but I have a bad feeling i'll be back shooting 120 next time I play (usually between 105 and 120). One thing that doesn't help me is I work offshore for a month at a time and seem to go back to square one every time I'm back home.

Anyone agree with this comment about it just clicking one day? Would love to hear your thoguhts

Thanks

Scott

Welcome Scott!

Maybe consider investing in some lessons if that is available to you. They can really change your game

Seems like it's a drop/plateau thing for me. The drops are more severe when you first start playing.

Hi Texas

Thanks

I have lessons but probably average only 1 every 2 months, my game is defiantly improving, although you wouldn't think so looking at my scores.

I don't think the whole game ever clicked with me but there were parts to my game (sand for instance) that just seemed to click the other day for me. That was after lots of practice and lessons. Lately, my sand game is really improving. But as far as the game as a whole, it seems like certain things just seem to get easier and other things tend to get worse. Then I will work on what gets worse and neglect what has been going well and then what was going well gets worse and what was worse gets better... lol! Seems like and endless cycle!

Seems like it's a drop/plateau thing for me. The drops are more severe when you first start playing.

I'm with Hawk on this. The strokes will drop early in your game and then the better you get, the slower the improvement.

I have lessons but probably average only 1 every 2 months, my game is defiantly improving, although you wouldn't think so looking at my scores.

Your score is not overly important when picking the game up, concentrate more on your swing, ball striking and learning to play the different shots in the game and your scores will come down nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Your score is not overly important when picking the game up, concentrate more on your swing, ball striking and learning to play the different shots in the game and your scores will come down nicely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks barry

Thats good advice. Ill see if that helps, might take the pressure off a bit.

I wouldn't call it a moment where everything clicked. More like a series of moments where something small stuck. You will have rounds or a series of holes where things that you've learned come together and allow you to play well. The more time you spend working on your game, the more likely you are to have those series of moments come together. That in a nutshell is how you improve. Personally, the key for me is to be cognizant of those moments and focus on them when they occur.

Welcome! You will be surprised how much you start in improve right away but Like Hawk said, it will drop/plateau/maybe even get worse at times; you just have to look at the big picture.

Just like stocks (probably not any of mine :bulgy-eyes:), have faith in your game and it will improve over time (long term)

Definitely continue with the lessons.

The problem with the golf swing is, unless you're one of those magical people for whom it just comes easy, then more often than not, what you feel is happening is not what's really happening. You'll hit a good shot and think you made a beautiful, great swing, and convince yourself that if you can just duplicate that swing, you'll be in good shape. However, when you watch that swing on video, you'll see that you took the club too far inside, swayed back a ton, came over the top, and had a massive chicken wing on the way through. But by some miracle, you got lucky and hit a good shot, but it's not repeatable with any consistency.

Working with a pro allows him to see all those bad things and start to work them out of your swing one by one. With enough time and practice, eventually he'll get you into a swing that's more correct than wrong, and such a swing will be dramatically more repeatable. As a part of that process, you'll get better at feeling what's actually happening in your swing and get better at self-correcting.

You mentioned that you work offshore, it's hard to improve if you can't play or practice. Maybe you could practice putting and/or something like an optishot where you really don't have to use a ball.

tuff question and unfortunately this game is hard. Real hard, and unless one is fortunate enough to have that gift of some "natural talent" that we talked about in other thread it will be a struggle. Espcially when one can not play/practice much at all.

If you are just talking about the ability to start striking balls a bit better with a bit more consistancy then I do think it will eventually come about when you find enough grove, muscle memmory, etc to start doing that.. That will click one day to some degree but then there is just sooooo sooooo much more and soooo many different parts to the game that go much beyond simply being able to strike some good balls.

One part where I think we probably all make the big mistakes when first starting and first getting bit better at being able to hit decent balls is that human nature takes over and we all a sudden think we can start to force shots we had no business to try. This can become a big set back in early developemnet in my opinion. Its like when we start thinking (in the very begining) we can force the game to the next level but that small advancement of decent ball striking we made can fall apart real fast. I think this can happen at any level relatively speaking but I think it more so in the begining. I know it did for me.

So i think IMO (as the more you play) it will start to click just enough to hopefully strike more balls with bit more consistancy but when it does I'd say try to keep it humble without forcing it so it doesnt go backwards. Stay with it and the more you play, the more it will develope and you'll start to move along.

and then you'll become as frustrated, angry, and peed off as most the rest of us that cant get real good. LOL But who knows, perhaps a few years from now you can be better than most of us. and i hope so.. Good Luck.

Oh yea , and BTW welcome to the THP

Nice to meet you! Just keep playing. The more you play the better you'll get. At least that is how it usually works.

Welcome to THP!

Hi All

Thanks for the advice and Welcomes

It looks like a friendly and experienced bunch here.

I'm looking forward to picking your brains in the future and I'll keep you posted on how I am progressing.

Thanks Again

Scott

Welcome to THP.

I started with my current instructor a few years ago, and he told me something that really pissed me off. He said I'd never get better unless I practiced.
As much as I didn't want to hear that, it turns out he was right.

I will add though that it's best to get some instruction on proper technique. The most difficult thing I've done is unlearning a number of really poor habits.

Back