What Ball Did You Play Last - What Are Your Thoughts?

I have been playing Taylormade Rocketballz balls lately (couple months) and was amazed with the durability. I recieved a dozen Taylormade Penta TP3 balls for Christmas so I tried them out yesterday. The weather was nice enough that distance wasn't really affected by the cold so I assumed I could get a pretty good feel for how the ball worked.

First of all, these balls seem every bit as durable as the Rocketballz are. I didn't whisker it at all. I played 25 holes all together, used 2 balls in rotation, and they still look great. I pulled one 8iron left on an uphill 148 yard par 3 and it landed from way up high on a rough concrete cartpath, bounced a good 60 feet in the air and landed in some slightly rocky hardpan. It had a MINOR scuff from the cartpath contact but otherwise no damage.

I liked the feel of these balls a bit more than the Rocketballz. Similar feel to the Bridgestone TreoSofts I used to use, but maybe just a bit firmer feeling off the long clubs. It seemed to bite on the greens a bit better than the Bridgestones, and quite a bit better than the Rocketballz.

The wind was pretty mild yesterday, but when it did gust up a bit it never did seem to affect the flight.

I did hit a few shots with a Rocketballz and a TP3 to try to get a comparison. Seems like I get a bit more distance with the Rocketballz, but not very much....negligible amount at most.

I plan on using the TP3s as much as the Rocketballz in the future. I shot my best round ever yesterday, and had more birdies in 25 holes than I typically get in 36, so maybe I should plan on using these religiously.

I have been playing the Titleist Velocity since October. It is a good ball for those like me that want less spin (side spin) and seems to be a good ball off the driver and a very good putting ball also good for cooler temperatures.

Played the Penta TP3 yesterday. Really liking this ball. Very soft feel and stops dead on the greens. Still saw some descent distance off the tee with minimal side spin. I'll be sticking with this one for awhile.

Maxfli U/4 is an absolutely awesome golf ball. I played it next to my beloved Pro V1 all day and it's scary how similar they are. Right now, they are buy one get one free at Dick's, so for $35 you get 24 great golf balls. If you haven't tried this ball yet, give it a go, and I think you'll agree with my findings.

I played yesterday & used the new dozen of Titleist Pro V1x's I got a couple days ago. I've hit them in the past but they were always used. for lack of a better word, they were fantabulous. I will never use a different ball!

I played this Srixon Z-STAR XV and really enjoyed it. I'm trying out balls for the MC and this ball really impressed me. Good distance. Good spin on approaches and around the greens.

Played the Bridgestone B330 Tour. Great ball for me. I like how it feels coming off my irons and always appreciate how it performs around the greens.

Have continued to play the Q-Star. Saturday I played the front with it and the plan was to play the back with the B330RXS and the e6.....my other two favorites. I made it about 4 holes and went back to the Q-Star. Temps were high fifties, so the other two should have been fine, but I just felt like I was really compressing this ball well. Stopping (some people don't like this ball for that reason) was a non issue for me. Almost every approach was a one or two hopper and chips were stopping too short because I always went back to expecting roll out instead of just trusting it.

Durable as all hell and the yellow is REALLY growing on me. I told my wife that IF she had gotten me the white ones it would be fine, but I REALLY prefer the yellow. Now if I can just wiat until April / May when it's decent warm to see what kind of distance + roll out I get off drives. Really moist right now and everything is carry in the fairways at the moment.

J.

I played the chromax distance ball, and the Titleist HP3 control, I was surprised at the HP3 control for a winter ball, the compression was great for me, and when I hit into the green, I only rolled it out about 3 feet.

Is the Titleist HP3 control brand new? This is the first I've heard of it.

Picked up some top flite gamer v2 on a buy one get one deal a few weeks back to use during the winter months since it is generally a little wet during the winter. They are good balls for the price. E5s are still my favorite for the green side spin, especially on chips an pitches, but the v2 pretty much stops where it hits on full shots into the green. Not sure if that would be the case on dried out summer greens, but for damp winter greens it gets the job done. A little more roll out on chips and pitches, with the v2, easily manageable, but I just love the one hope and stop I can get from the e5s, even on firm greens.

I was given a dozen Wilson Staff Duos before my last round and I enjoyed playing these. I was getting 10-15 extra yards with these on my drives but wasn't able to stop them on greens as well as the ball I typically play (Top-Flite Gamer v2).

I found a deal on Slickdeals for ProV1 balls. They were $25 a box with free shipping and no tax. Sweet deal. I bought 4 boxes. I've played em before and always love em. A bit too expensive normally, but for that price, woot! Great backspin. Love the feel.

I played the wilson staff zip ball and was loving the feel, distance on rollouts but could not stop it on the greens. The greens here in Colorado are quite hard and fast this time of the year.

I just played 3 rounds with the Srixon Z-star XV and I think it's a great ball. I normally play a Q-star so I was expecting a softer feel and more spin off of every club. I got what I expected, a little more driver spin and a little more distance (a few yards) with a nice feel off of every club. The biggest difference was wedge play around the green; where the Q-star would visibly slow down at each 'bump' the Z-star would really hit the anchors as it checked up.

Overall thoughts are that it's a really good ball, but I don't think my game is at a level where it truly benefits me over a Q-star for the extra $$. I will continue to pit them against each other for a while and see if my thoughts change.

I just played 3 rounds with the Srixon Z-star XV and I think it's a great ball. I normally play a Q-star so I was expecting a softer feel and more spin off of every club. I got what I expected, a little more driver spin and a little more distance (a few yards) with a nice feel off of every club. The biggest difference was wedge play around the green; where the Q-star would visibly slow down at each 'bump' the Z-star would really hit the anchors as it checked up.

Overall thoughts are that it's a really good ball, but I don't think my game is at a level where it truly benefits me over a Q-star for the extra $$. I will continue to pit them against each other for a while and see if my thoughts change.

Nice thoughts. I look forward to see how they continue to stack up against one another.

My first post on this site...My last round was played with the Titleist NXT Tour S (yellow). One of the best "combination" balls I've found. It's still long but it "bites" a bit on the green. No, it doesn't bite as well as a Pro V, etc. but I loose too much distance with the driver with those types of balls. I'm getting older now and no longer swing at 107-110 MPH like I used to. My swing speed is more in the 90-92 MPH zone now and the NXT Tour and NXT Tour S just seem to fit me better, and the yellow color is something I've really come to like. I used yellow almost exclusively this year..switching between NXT Tour S and last year's ball, the Srixon Trispeed Tour (yellow) which is similar but just a bit shorter for me.

THP Staff labeled Q-Stars. I really do enjoy these golf balls quite a bit.

I played 9 holes with the RocketBallz golf balls. At the time nothing stood out to me that I especially loved or hated about it, I almost didn't notice the ball. In retrospect it was solidly straight, felt pretty good off the irons, approach shots stopped within inches of the pitch marks (soft wet greens though) and durability was very good.

I was given a dozen Wilson Staff Duos before my last round and I enjoyed playing these. I was getting 10-15 extra yards with these on my drives but wasn't able to stop them on greens as well as the ball I typically play (Top-Flite Gamer v2).

I'm intrigued by this ball, how does it go for straightness off the tee? I've got but haven't yet tried the V2s, I'm currently using E6 to try and stay as straight as possible. But it sounds like the Duo could also be good off the tee for straightness?

Bridgestone RX 330 and I loved it and bought some sample packs that equaled out to 2 dozen of that and the RXS330 mixed for 52 bucks! I loved the way it felt and had great spin around the greens. Nice ball flight on it from woods to wedges and felt nice on my mil spec when putting!

Played a Bridgestone Tour B330. I like the control I get with it. I missed a lot of fairways today so I had to hit a few a bunch of crazy shots around trees to get myself back into play and I was able to work the ball very well with the B330. I love how this ball performs on and around the green. I hit a few chips today that I thought were going to run way past the hole but they checked up nicely.

Played the Callaway Hex Chrome Yellow today for 36 holes and I got to say this ball is really growing on me the more I play with it. It just seems to do everything well, good distance off the driver and just great spin all around.

Hottest time of year right now, greens are hard and fast, particularly from the elevated tees on my home track, have gone from callaway to srixon soft, they go alright, pretty happy with them

Back