2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many MC participants will be working with a professional on their swing via lessons and instruction?

I will, just gotta find a new one since the old one took a new job and moved. But I will either find one at a club or range or sign up with GOLFTEC one or the other.

How many MC participants will be working with a professional on their swing via lessons and instruction?

Doubtful. I simply don't have enough money or time to fix my swing. It would be like a decade long process.

Doubtful. I simply don't have enough money or time to fix my swing. It would be like a decade long process.

I know you are kidding but if you stay over it with the chest a fraction longer and keep the arms moving down and through, you'll be fine. Because of your swing motion I notice that you tend to stand tall just before impact, get this out of the way and you might be the work horse on team lollipop guild

I'm still going to GolfTec. I will continue to keep going throughout the year.

I will probably get a quick tuneup with my fitter/pro at GolfTec - Ryan. But other than that probably not.

I will be. Going full in and finally getting the swing I want

Can I have the swing you have now? I thought it looked pretty darn good at the Atlanta Invitational! I was peeking at ya on the range watching you smash a few down the range and it was pretty impressive stuff imo. :thumb:

I plan on working with the pro at my course again this year, he was a huge help last year any time something bad started to creep into my swing. I definitely plan on working with him immediately in the spring after the winter layoff to try and get back on track quicker than usual, and then I will work with him sporadically after that as I want to make adjustments.

Good luck my man- when you starting?

Already started. Working on the grip right now. Very different from what I was doing and feels insane. I want to choke the heck out of that club. But I noticed this morning as I was practicing, that I picked it up and gripped it properly without even thinking about it.

Just catching up on all the posts over the last 2 days, but here we go...

1. I am flying into MYR from CVG Wednesday morning and flying out of MYR Monday morning. Will have a rental car.

2. I am not sure what my setup will look like quite yet; waiting on official announcements from Cleveland / Srixon before I start pondering too hard. I hope to find a full Cleveland authorized fitter in my new city and see what works best.

3. I plan on working with a local pro too, just need to do some research and find out what is available in my area. I know there is a GolfTec nearby, but dont think I can afford their (lesson or practice) packages. My plan is to keep working on my short game as my focus, but I know I need to fix some things that cause my hook miss.

Can I have the swing you have now? I thought it looked pretty darn good at the Atlanta Invitational! I was peeking at ya on the range watching you smash a few down the range and it was pretty impressive stuff imo. :thumb:

Thanks man. But I want Marc's swing. He looks phenomenal

Already started. Working on the grip right now. Very different from what I was doing and feels insane. I want to choke the heck out of that club. But I noticed this morning as I was practicing, that I picked it up and gripped it properly without even thinking about it.

Excellent news bro. I LOVE that feeling when you start to do something naturally that you have been working on.

Are you working with a professional?

Somewhat. I can do an internet lesson with someone who knows the ins and outs of the swing. I watched a few of his internet lessons and I feel like I can grasp what he wants me to do just from video. I have sent an email to see if there is anyone local that knows this swing and I might have a lead on someone. He is an hour away but it would be worth it to me. I always come back to this swing and it just never goes away. The second that I get a little cold weather, my mind wanders to slicefixer. I need to finally just jump in. I always read up on the swing theories, and this is the only one that I read that I kind of actually understand. It makes sense to me

That's awesome! Keep up the progress bro

Tyno, you don't practice the pine cone shot regularly dude? HA!

lol. not on purpose anyway...

plan on it. most likely be working with same guy dcbrad is seeing right now...
will probably wait until spring/early summer though.
i need just a few things to come together...i need to improve distance and stop from pulling the ball.

A question for everyone.... If the lofts on the irons for your MC sponsor differs from your present set of irons (assuming you are comfortable with that set) will you:

a) Have the MC clubs altered to match your current set.

b) Not alter the MC set and learn new distances.

Don't know yet...definitely a fitting first, and if it feels right, I might get the same lofts I have now...I don't like too strong lofted clubs.

Yes. Already started. I took my first lessons ever a year ago, last winter. I'll continue with the same dude, and we've already started where we left last time. Last year we changed my grip, release and a couple of other things. Now we are concentrating on my hips and starting posture. Also a lot of mobility issues. My hips don't turn nearly enough to get power, and my body is all too bent over and my back is way too hunched at address. I should get my self more upright. I figure 1-2 times a month with the pro until april would be nice :)

Just my opinion but there is nothing wrong with your move. Fine tune a few things and you'll be right as rain. But more power to you buddy.

Since we are talking about pro's and instruction leading up to the MC, can I ask a question?

Does every pro you guys see want to tire your swing completely down and start over?? Why do they all think you have to play a draw to be a good golfer?? I don't mind playing a fade...heck if it's good enough for Jack...but the first thing they want to do is get me swing inside out to hit a draw.

Since we are talking about pro's and instruction leading up to the MC, can I ask a question?

Does every pro you guys see want to tire your swing completely down and start over?? Why do they all think you have to play a draw to be a good golfer?? I don't mind playing a fade...heck if it's good enough for Jack...but the first thing they want to do is get me swing inside out to hit a draw.

The guy I have been working with, Tim, has been really good about not breaking down my swing a ton. I was coming out to in a lot on my down swing and leaving the club face far to open at impact. I was nervous he was going to try to do that, and was completely relieved when he started working with what I had and not trying to make my swing perfect.

Because of that, it's easier for me to practice, because I am not trying to remember 50 things, and I believe that is the reason I have seen results right away.

The big thing he told me he wants me to be at by my next lesson (in 4 weeks) is that he wants my swing speed to be back to normal. I've been at about 70% since I started, just trying to get that feeling of the correct motion. Now as my swing speed goes up, it's going to give me a much better idea of the type of shafts I'll need (He's going to be fitting me too). I have a feeling I'll be in the 95-100 range with my 6 iron, since I've consistently been at 85-87 and I am not swinging at full strength.

Even though I knew I needed them I purposely did not take lessons for a long time because I ran into the same thing. Everyone wanted to tear me down and rebuild and do this and that and the other thing. It was not till I met my present coach that I was told, your swing is not the problem, not enough that we cant work on a couple of things and get it better then we'll get you to where you want to be. I signed up the next day and have been very happy since. My advice, find a coach that woks with you, not against you. Work as a team, if not you will always have doubts about their teachings and thus not get everything you can out of it!!

my guy has done little tweaks to my swing. Most of which has been my takeaway. A lot of the other things we work on has been ball position and weight shift. This past year we worked more on hitting a draw because I wanted to.

my guy has done little tweaks to my swing. Most of which has been my takeaway. A lot of the other things we work on has been ball position and weight shift. This past year we worked more on hitting a draw because I wanted to.

Sure would I like to be able to hit a draw when it calls for it....damn skippy

But I don't think my swing is so far off that they want to start from scratch and do a complete rebuild either....but the last couple of people I have tried have been that way...I am still looking for a new instructor....but no luck yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back