Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible

Yes! Thanks Rhino.

Interesting. He looks pretty square there...

I'm always surprised how much spin he can generate on that shot.

I'm always surprised how much spin he can generate on that shot.

Same here. I never seem to get as much spin on pitch shots as I want... I would love to be able to throw the ball at the pin like that and know the ball will stop. Do you think that moving to a urethane ball like the B330RX would help with that? I just picked up a couple boxes as I liked them during the testing and was planning on gaming them in Myrtle.

I always wonder how they do that too. Then I factored in a really firm, tight lie and pitching into a slope. Kinda helps

Same here. I never seem to get as much spin on pitch shots as I want... I would love to be able to throw the ball at the pin like that and know the ball will stop. Do you think that moving to a urethane ball like the B330RX would help with that? I just picked up a couple boxes as I liked them during the testing and was planning on gaming them in Myrtle.

It will help, but it's mostly technique. Conditions play a big part as well. I can generate spin farther away, but it's hard from that close in.

Some pretty good shots today, but I'm sitting here thinking of the one that got away. Scooped a gottdang 80 yarder that left me in bogeyville. Stupid Hawk. I dropped another ball and put it inside 12 feet. Not sure why I couldn't have just done that the first time.

It will help, but it's mostly technique. Conditions play a big part as well. I can generate spin farther away, but it's hard from that close in.

Some pretty good shots today, but I'm sitting here thinking of the one that got away. Scooped a gottdang 80 yarder that left me in bogeyville. Stupid Hawk. I dropped another ball and put it inside 12 feet. Not sure why I couldn't have just done that the first time.

That second golfer is always such a show off!! :alien:

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

That second golfer is always such a show off!! :alien:

Typos courtesy of fat fingers and iPhone

LOL it's just not right!. As with most things related to my swing I have to remember to turn with my shoulders. My arms don't hit good balls.

Well, I still haven't practiced much lately, but my finesse swing was pretty darn good yesterday. Put a 90 yard shot inside 8 feet for a birdie and had a couple more that left me some very makeable putts.

Conditions were a little soft, so the shots I hit a little thick were penalized. Biggest thing I had on my mind yesterday was making sure I was following through all the way. I tend to forget that at times. Seems to improve contact and give me a higher ball flight.

I swear by this book.

Every time my short game needs work I get it out again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a copy. All the great talk of this book and approach made this an easy purchase for me.

Good luck with it, Rhino. Make sure to ask away if you have questions. I've learned quite a bit just from discussing things with folks in this thread.

Thanks for the offer Hawk!
I got my copy yesterday. I should have brought it in to work to read today since theres no one in here

Would have been the perfect time to get into it. The first part is a pretty quick read from what I remember. I'm a numbers/stats guy though. Eventually it sort of delves into specialty shots, which I still haven't paid much attention to.

eventually it sort of delves into specialty shots, which I still haven't paid much attention to.
Me neither - I pretty much read the first few sections over and over

Me neither - I pretty much read the first few sections over and over

I will say that it helped my sand game quite a bit, but the other shots I didn't pay much attention to. Same with the chipping. I still go back and read it too. The pictures help me visualize what I'm trying to do.

The other thing to note is it teaches you to be specific.

So many times I've just though I want to get this close - but how close is close?

This book talks about the 'Golden 8 Feet' so that's what I try to do. Get within 10 feet when using distance wedges, closer when chipping and short pitches.

The other thing to note is it teaches you to be specific.

So many times I've just though I want to get this close - but how close is close?

This book talks about the 'Golden 8 Feet' so that's what I try to do. Get within 10 feet when using distance wedges, closer when chipping and short pitches.

I need to refine things a little next year. I'd like to see myself getting some of the in between yardages a little more automatic. Right now I'm mainly choking down, which works, but I could definitely do better.

I really got a lot out of this book.

The main thing I took away from it was how to properly hit a chip shot. There is one section where he gives a tip on how newbs should brace their finger against the shaft to prevent you from getting to handsy or wristy and promotes ball first contact. This helped me enormously.

I also like the clock positions on backswings. Only problem is that if I take less than a full backswing, I tend to swing harder on the downswing to compensate. Totally defeats the purpose.

I really got a lot out of this book.

The main thing I took away from it was how to properly hit a chip shot. There is one section where he gives a tip on how newbs should brace their finger against the shaft to prevent you from getting to handsy or wristy and promotes ball first contact. This helped me enormously.

I also like the clock positions on backswings. Only problem is that if I take less than a full backswing, I tend to swing harder on the downswing to compensate. Totally defeats the purpose.

Yea it does. I can let my distance infatuation creep into my finesse swing and it's almost always a bad thing.

What does Pelz say about the length of the follow through on the 7, 9 and 10 o'clock shots? Is it always a full follow through or does the follow through approximate the length of the backswing?

What does Pelz say about the length of the follow through on the 7, 9 and 10 o'clock shots? Is it always a full follow through or does the follow through approximate the length of the backswing?

Always a full finish.

Posted via tapatalk.

Back