Drivers; High Spin vs Low Spin. What is your preference and why?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Reading through equipment threads and pondering, etc...I always see people stating the preference for one or the other, and I am curious as to what most people prefer, and what they base that preference off of?

Is it strictly through results on the course? Fitting? Numbers from a launch monitor?

Curious to what others have for their reasoning, as I have seen various posts about different reasons why.

Low spin. Absolutely low spin. And it's all about my current output. I would rather let the shaft determine most of the spin rather than the head because I think it's easier to match it.

I don't have raw numbers to compare the two, but I have been told that my success is higher with low spin heads. To answer your question, 80% on course/range results, 20% laughing about spin rates on LMs with mid/high spin heads.

For me I prefer low spinning. I would rather lose a few yards of a carry and keep it straight than gain some distance, but also be more unpredictable as far as dispersion goes.

I really don't know any more. It seems like I can occasionally throw some real knuckleballs out there with the low spin heads. If my launch is good, I still lean that way i guess. I battle high spin issues long enough that I'm hesistant to go any other way.

Good thread. I always wondered this myself. Also how do you tell if a driver is low or high spin with out being on the launch monitor or if it hasn't been reviewed here? Take my gamer, R9 460, is it high or low? R9? R11?

I don't really understand the whole concept. I tend to buy what gives me the best results and not worry about high spin versus low spin to be honest.

It is completely dependent on the shaft, ball and loft for me. I use everything to fit a certain range that works best for my swing. Right now that is 2900 RPMs of spin or so with a launch of about 14. I can get there a number of different ways and most recently have done that for a long term with the Cleveland Classic which is a low spinning head.

I think sadly that most just assume low spin and low launch is perfect for what they need and in the end rob themselves of distance because they are not getting enough carry. There are heads and combinations for everybody, but it is about finding the right range for their golf swing.

Low spin. Absolutely low spin. And it's all about my current output. I would rather let the shaft determine most of the spin rather than the head because I think it's easier to match it.

I don't have raw numbers to compare the two, but I have been told that my success is higher with low spin heads.

Yup. I was able to get a great low-spin shaft which allowed me to increase the loft on my head. I finally have the perfect driver setup for me ::tires to suppress memories of hitting AMP Cell::

Good thread. I always wondered this myself. Also how do you tell if a driver is low or high spin with out being on the launch monitor or if it hasn't been reviewed here? Take my gamer, R9 460, is it high or low? R9? R11?

Took the words out of my mouth.

For me I prefer low spinning. I would rather lose a few yards of a carry and keep it straight than gain some distance, but also be more unpredictable as far as dispersion goes.
Interesting, as I play a high spin head on my driver and can control it a lot more so than I can others with low spin.
It is completely dependent on the shaft, ball and loft for me. I use everything to fit a certain range that works best for my swing. Right now that is 2900 RPMs of spin or so with a launch of about 14. I can get there a number of different ways and most recently have done that for a long term with the Cleveland Classic which is a low spinning head.

I think sadly that most just assume low spin and low launch is perfect for what they need and in the end rob themselves of distance because they are not getting enough carry. There are heads and combinations for everybody, but it is about finding the right range for their golf swing.
The Classic vs Black is what I had in mind as I was typing this thread out. I can keep a high spin driver (black) in play, much better than I can the low spin driver (Classic). I truly believe for me it's the shaft pairing more than anything.

I have always thought low spin was better in order to reduce side spin. That's just a general thought but as of late, I have started to see how different head/shaft combo's work for my game. I now go less off of numbers and more off of on course performance.

If I had easy access to a LM I would likely put more stock into my numbers.

The Classic vs Black is what I had in mind as I was typing this thread out. I can keep a high spin driver (black) in play, much better than I can the low spin driver (Classic). I truly believe for me it's the shaft pairing more than anything.

It very well could be War. Many times high spin will be easier to launch and therefore more forgiving to some. When it comes to the annual outing I spend 7-8 hours on the range with a launch monitor and golfers addressing this very issue and so many times we see good drivers of the ball robbing themselves of distance with either too much or too little.

The other side that is so overlooked is the golf ball. Changing the golf ball can have a huge impact on driver spin.

It very well could be War. Many times high spin will be easier to launch and therefore more forgiving to some. When it comes to the annual outing I spend 7-8 hours on the range with a launch monitor and golfers addressing this very issue and so many times we see good drivers of the ball robbing themselves of distance with either too much or too little.

The other side that is so overlooked is the golf ball. Changing the golf ball can have a huge impact on driver spin.
That's why I steer clear of the balls that offer the dreaded side spin. :act-up:

I have always thought low spin was better in order to reduce side spin.

It can actually be the opposite. Lower spin and side spin are technically two completely separate things. Despite both using the term spin. Sadly this equates to average golfers as low spin equals less hook or slice and they run to it.

I have always thought low spin was better in order to reduce side spin. That's just a general thought but as of late, I have started to see how different head/shaft combo's work for my game. I now go less off of numbers and more off of on course performance.

If I had easy access to a LM I would likely put more stock into my numbers.

This is where I am at too. I do know however the most success I have had off the tee was with a low spin driver.

It can actually be the opposite. Lower spin and side spin are technically two completely separate things. Despite both using the term spin. Sadly this equates to average golfers as low spin equals less hook or slice and they run to it.

Interesting you said this JB. This is exactly what I thought.

In my head I was comparing the Classic 310 to the SuperTri.. Thinking about the accuracy for the 310 for me vs the SuperTri balloonage, but I never did try it with varying shafts..

What category does the Razr Fit fall into? I have to think it's higher than low spin.

To be honest, this is exactly what my thoughts were a while back. I assumed, the Classic would be a better fit for me, as it was a low spinning driver. Not the case, as the banana slice was in full force.

Very common misconception for sure. I long for the day that advertising is placed on "forgiveness" for the average golfer rather than an additional XX number of yards.

Whatever my 9064 is is what I prefer. I know I have the right shaft and the head works, so I like it.

Slicing for show and chunking for dough, because I spend too much time Tapatalking from my iPad.

I don't think high spin is as disasterous as some might. It all comes down to what the golfer needs. Sometimes that spin can help with carry. I like some rollout so I like low spin. But a little bit of spin can help increase launch. It all depends on the golfer. I try to stay between 2500 and 3000 rpm of total spin. I do also think that side spin isn't as looked at as it should be with some golfers.

My preference is whichever works best. :D I'm in a lower spin head with the Classic now and love it, but have had success with higher spin heads (see CG Black) in the past. I agree that fitting is where it's at. I'm actually looking forward to getting in for a proper driver fitting this year. Hopefully we'll be able to look at multiple shafts as that seems to be the key to me, and few fitters are really thorough with that in my experience. They just keep handing you drivers with stock shafts in them.

I don't really understand the whole concept. I tend to buy what gives me the best results and not worry about high spin versus low spin to be honest.
Honestly that's the way I have been in the past as well, I've done a couple demo day fittings with Ping and Callaway and they both told me I needed to get a combo that kept my spin down, and I saw good results from that, but I don't have numbers on my current combo to tell you what the comparison is. Information is key in this situation and I don't have it. But I will after my fitting next month. I would say I think I'm a more low spin, but I don't know that for sure.

I prefer a mid to high ball flight and I was fit to about 2600 RPM's.

Anyone have a good reference for driver head characteristics (low vs high spin)? Is there a certain spec we should be looking for from the manufacturer?

Back