At what point is it worth going to higher end courses?

I think it's up to the golfer, you want to play a high end place then do it. That being said I come from a teaching position with this view point. If you're going to frustrated with the golf then save your money. Improve so you will enjoy and then have at it.

I play with clients that shoot in the high 90s and curse every shot at the high end courses. But they are having fun and that's all that matters to them. I have a buddy who shoots in the 90s are has a miserable time but only plays the best courses. Both are fine but I tell him he (my buddy)needs save his money or get lessons. He does neither and I just shake my head cuz he not enjoying himself, it's an ego thing.

It doesn't matter what I shoot, I would play a nice course any time. Playing a nice course is fun!

Play what you want when you want. I don't think it's a matter of where your game is at if you can enjoy the course play it.

I have played on a few of the local high end country clubs in the last yr and have enjoyed them even when I played terrible.

Luckily I have a lot of nice muni's and public courses I can play for less than 40 around with cart and if you catch a special day you can play for less than 25 at most of them.

In my case a lot of it depends on my playing partners and fiances as well. I'm down with playing a really nice course about once a month ($60 - $80) if my partners or at least one of them are game. I can't afford that kind of prices on a weekly basis for sure. Same as several others have mentioned, I can allready play some good, not great courses for around 40 to 50 anytime which is fine with me.

It doesn't matter what I shoot, I would play a nice course any time. Playing a nice course is fun!

This.

And even more fun with THP'ers.

I typically save spending $70+ on a round for special occasions and travel. I know last year I had only been playing about 8 months when I played the THP Demo day. Those courses were in incredible shape and the North/South course kicked my backside, but I still had a great time and it was worth every penny.

I play every day and the only way I can afford this is to have a membership. I usually pick a nice course to join and play for under $5 a round.

I've never equated "getting my money's worth" with score. I find a course's value comes from the experience of the round and the people I'm with.

mostly this. i really don't care for higher end courses. at least around here, i don't. they're all too blahh and boring and no better than any other course. the only thing better about expensive courses is it's usually a bit dryer, and you get to say you played there. for me, i enjoy playing at regular courses because then i get to bring a wide range of people, because they can all afford it, and we always have fun no matter where we play..

I'm pretty lucky in that I live in an area that has some of the best courses around. The 3 University courses are amazing and they can all be played for under $50 with coupons. I also have a few courses around me that are goat tracks but I really enjoy playing them. I will occasionally pay to play a nicer course. But not very often as I don't really need to. Heck I can play Tobacco Road for $50

To me it is all about variety. I'm a pass holder (unlimited golf) at Chambers Bay but even though it is an amazing course I still need to mix it up and play other courses. To play another course that is going to excite me I know I am going to have to pay a bit more. I would get bored playing the same course handful of cheap courses around me all the time.

Back