TaylorMade Lethal Golf Ball Preview

the lethal, huh? hmm.

I'm more interested in the new RBZ ball to be honest

I am interested in trying these.

Hmm. Think I like the name "Project 5" more than "Lethal"
This is my exact thought. The names just seem odd to me considering the demographic of most regular golfers.

I may give them ago, but I dont usually play a premium ball cause i tend to loose a few more often than I'd like.

I think it's funny that many of you think as lethal as distance, cause i think of it as pin point accuracy.

I'm going to chip in (ha ha, made a funny) my support of the LETHAL name. I really like it, and the font is great. I was a fan of the original Penta, not so much the TP5, and I'll give the Lethal a go and see how I like it. Side spin might be an issue for me. If I had an off day, the Penta got lost in the woods, but when my swing was on, it was a great ball for me.

Have they done any changes to the cover since the testing of the " project 5 ", from the reviews I'd say they need a more durable cover.

Have they done any changes to the cover since the testing of the " project 5 ", from the reviews I'd say they need a more durable cover.

Some saw issues with durability, I found it to be as durable as any other ball I have played in the past year.

Some saw issues with durability, I found it to be as durable as any other ball I have played in the past year.

I probably had the biggest durability issues. I found the ball scuffed a little easier than other, comparable price range balls. Was not a deal breaker for me, though.

I probably had the biggest durability issues. I found the ball scuffed a little easier than other, comparable price range balls. Was not a deal breaker for me, though.
Yeah, but you but you knock the snot out of the ball.

I saw the scuffing and wear as well and my swing speed is much slower than yours Seth. I posted a picture in the review thread of the ball that showed the most wear. I'll say this though it didn't really seem to effect ball flight or performance.

I'm sensing a trend here.

A lot of people really liked the Penta TP, but not so much the TP5.

I really wish they hadn't messed with a good thing. I will give the Lethal a shot, but am not expecting much based on how durability got rated during the THP testing.

Shout out to RoundersRob for sending me two of these balls that he tested/reviewed in the Project 5 thread. Thanks a ton man! I am pumped to hit these things and, in good fortune, it is supposed to be in the 50's the next two days here in Chicago. Looks like I will be taking them to a short game area and hopefully to the course for a round.

Shout out to RoundersRob for sending me two of these balls that he tested/reviewed in the Project 5 thread. Thanks a ton man! I am pumped to hit these things and, in good fortune, it is supposed to be in the 50's the next two days here in Chicago. Looks like I will be taking them to a short game area and hopefully to the course for a round.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts buddy!

Its going to be unfortunate the first time somebody gets icejacked and takes a "TaylorMade Lethal" off of the ole coconut.

Hahahaha this made my day, virtual rep to you sir

And yeah Jeff I don't like the name so far haha

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Do you think taylormade would've noticed that and redo the cover ( make it more durable in some way)
As I'd think the whole point of thp testing is for companies to spot any weaknesses in product and improve before releasing to public (also the pros do this aswell if I'm right, and that's why they get the equipment earlier)

I have played this ball. It was 40 degrees out with a 20+ MPH headwind and I had 175 to the pin. I hit a 4 iron, The ball started low and rised with a penetrating ball flight. The ball never balloned. Stayed on its line with a baby draw and flew the green. I was not upset going over the green, lol. This is a GREAT BALL!!!
Interesting to see the TM write up in comparison with our testing.

I would still like to prove out the wind performance, but we haven't had more than 5 mph in quite some time. Looks like that could change this weekend.

I played with a project 5 for 2 rounds and it looked used but not scuffed or beat up. I am not sure that durability will be an issue with this ball as I have not seen any excelerated durability problems with this ball after 2 rounds with the same ball.
I'm sensing a trend here.

A lot of people really liked the Penta TP, but not so much the TP5.

I really wish they hadn't messed with a good thing. I will give the Lethal a shot, but am not expecting much based on how durability got rated during the THP testing.

Inter, try these! you won't be disapointed in the wind....
I am incredibly excited to try out this ball. I love the Penta... but I always switch it out for the prov1x on windy days because I didn't like the Penta's performance in the wind. Now, I really want to give this new ball a chance in the stiff chicago wind... despite the terrible name.

Do you think taylormade would've noticed that and redo the cover ( make it more durable in some way)
As I'd think the whole point of thp testing is for companies to spot any weaknesses in product and improve before releasing to public (also the pros do this aswell if I'm right, and that's why they get the equipment earlier)

I really don't think this is the case most of the time. I think they do the testing to "promote" the product and get it in front of more eyes. I would have to think that by the time the testing was done production was well underway for this ball, let alone any time for design changes. This may not be a popular opinion but its honest, a big part of THP testing.

My thought would be largely marketing (get people to hopefully get good reviews), but also to get an early start on what regular golfers want to try and improve for the next gen.

I really don't think this is the case most of the time. I think they do the testing to "promote" the product and get it in front of more eyes. I would have to think that by the time the testing was done production was well underway for this ball, let alone any time for design changes. This may not be a popular opinion but its honest, a big part of THP testing.

Makes sense just thought they could use the reviews to tweak a few things here and there
Maybe give out prototypes sooner ?
Giving more time to get amateur opinion aswell as professional opinion, they would open doors like that :)

I really liked the TP5 and will be giving this one a shot as well. However, I just have to say that this one is another swing and a miss by the old Taylormade gimmick department as far as the name goes.

I have a dozen coming with my RBZ stage 2 and also a dozen used Project 5 coming form a ebay seller can't wait to compare to my TP5 and OG Penta

I really liked the TP5 and will be giving this one a shot as well. However, I just have to say that this one is another swing and a miss by the old Taylormade gimmick department as far as the name goes.

I think a lot of people will buy them just for the name. What ball are you using? A Lethal!

Back