Official Hybrid Shoot Out Thread

I notice that some of the clubs have scuffs - do the companies sometimes send you used clubs, or had you just happened to have already hit those (or using your own, perhaps?)

99% of the time the clubs are brand new. The Nickents had not arrived yet for the photo shoot, so I substituted my 5DX in for the pictures. We received all 3 lines from Nickent after the photos were taken. You will see those in the rest of the pictures coming soon.

Acushnet products (Titleist and cobra) that are in this shoot out came to us previously used. However they are in almost perfect condition.

99% of the time the clubs are brand new. The Nickents had not arrived yet for the photo shoot, so I substituted my 5DX in for the pictures. We received all 3 lines from Nickent after the photos were taken. You will see those in the rest of the pictures coming soon.

Acushnet products (Titleist and cobra) that are in this shoot out came to us previously used. However they are in almost perfect condition.

Your personal opinion how do you like your 5DX? and that replaces the 5 iron right? Still a little confused on the hole hybrid phenomenon.....:confused2:

I got rid of my long irons and switched to hybrids for my 3, 4, and 5 iron. For the 3 and 4 irons I switched to the Wilson Staffs. GG and I went and hit about every hybrid made at the time (early last year) and these came out the best for me.

When I tested the 5DX hybrids out for a review we did here about 4 months ago (maybe longer) I loved them. I traded in a hybrid at Edwin Watts and got the 5 to add to it.

I got rid of my long irons and switched to hybrids for my 3, 4, and 5 iron. For the 3 and 4 irons I switched to the Wilson Staffs. GG and I went and hit about every hybrid made at the time (early last year) and these came out the best for me.

When I tested the 5DX hybrids out for a review we did here about 4 months ago (maybe longer) I loved them. I traded in a hybrid at Edwin Watts and got the 5 to add to it.

Do you agree with other people when they say that the 4h could replace the 3i because of the fact that you can hit it farther with a hybrid? or do you believe that the 4 should replace the 4 and the 3 should replace the 3 and so on?

It depends on the club and the person really. There is a distance difference, but since I replaced all 3 of the low irons, it just worked for my game.

what callaway didn't want to participate?

Hey JB,

I was wondering if you guys inquired about the hybrids that are included in the Nike Slingshot HL iron set. That's the set that I currently play and it comes with a 3, 4 and 5 hybrid. Very good hybrids IMO.

I picked up the 2006? adams 3H for $40 new.

turns out to be my newest long range go-to club in the bag.
It's so very good...and at $40, will only be replaced if the head comes loose and flies into a lake. :D

not only does this puppy flllyyyyy the ball, but its awesome for a low,low under the trees "rescue" for short and med distance shots.

$40

:confused2:

Hey JB,

I was wondering if you guys inquired about the hybrids that are included in the Nike Slingshot HL iron set. That's the set that I currently play and it comes with a 3, 4 and 5 hybrid. Very good hybrids IMO.

We asked each company to include current products only and other than that they could include what they wanted. As for your hybrids (they are pretty good), they are not in their production run as of now.

We asked each company to include current products only and other than that they could include what they wanted. As for your hybrids (they are pretty good), they are not in their production run as of now.

I see.. oh well, I was just curious to see how they fared against the rest of the competition. Based on how much they have helped my game, my guess is that they would have held their own.

Do you agree with other people when they say that the 4h could replace the 3i because of the fact that you can hit it farther with a hybrid? or do you believe that the 4 should replace the 4 and the 3 should replace the 3 and so on?

Here are my distances.

3I: 195
4I: 185
3H: 210
4H: 195

Note I am a relatively low ball hitter, and that is probably a factor. But I agree with some who say that a 4H replaces a 3I. That is why I carry both a 4H and 4I. But the hybrid is so much easier to hit, I am seriously considering removing the 4I and replacing it with a gap wedge. If I need to hit a shot 185, I can just choke up on the 4H. Or maybe do what JB did and replace the 4I with a 5H.

SBC,
I think I may have misposted I did not get rid of my 4I with a 5H. I got rid of my 3,4, & 5 irons with 3, 4, & 5 hybrids.

Here are my distances.

Note I am a relatively low ball hitter, and that is probably a factor. But I agree with some who say that a 4H replaces a 3I. That is why I carry both a 4H and 4I. But the hybrid is so much easier to hit, I am seriously considering removing the 4I and replacing it with a gap wedge. If I need to hit a shot 185, I can just choke up on the 4H. Or maybe do what JB did and replace the 4I with a 5H.

That is what I will probably end up doing, not i'm just waiting on this hybrid test that thp is doing so i can make up my mind.......anyone need an x22 3 iron llol looks like i may have one for sale here shortly.

JB, I don't think you mis-posted. I just didn't word my thoughts correctly. I just meant to add a 5H like you.

Here are my distances.

I have a similar deal- carry a 3H and 3I due to distance gap. I am considering bailing on the 3I for a 4H, though. They are just so darn easy to play with.

Your personal opinion how do you like your 5DX? and that replaces the 5 iron right? Still a little confused on the hole hybrid phenomenon.....:confused2:

The "5DX" is just the line of clubs. They also have a 4DX (which is what I have) and the 3DX. The 3DX also has a DC version and an RC version. All the lines have hybrids ranging from 1 to 6.

Here's the Nickent website, you can check out their hybrids there. http://nickentgolf.com/newweb/

I just picked up a used 3DX DC from GG (thing looked brand new and was $19). I was just shocked at how hot the face was. I am hitting it 10-15 yards further than my TM. I will just have to hit some more balls to get a feel for trajectory, but I am very impressed with my first Nickent experience thusfar. Finally found one left handed, jesus, it only took me how long.

That is good to hear. At your level (meaning swings are relatively repeated) if you like the 3DX you will love the 4 and 5DX. The 3DX is a great club. Gets up fast and stays up. The funniest thing is that they make some of the best hybrids out there, but if more people could try their irons, they would really be blown away. The 4DX Pros are some of the nicest I have ever played and we saw our teaching pro here switch to the blades from Mizuno and Titleist.

Can't wait for the results of this one. This will gauge which hybrids I'll try out, but too bad the other companies didn't get to join. These shoot outs give a lot of feedback, gave me the input on which driver to get.

The high handicap group is officially done. We will put up some pictures today and show some of the action.

The last tester is going this morning and then the write up begins. Expect the results will be available next week for everybody to see.

Back