TexAg08

Buckle #12 Whoop!!
Reaction score
Handicap
OK, it has been a while since logging on, I was on vacation in NM and then busy playing golf, watching golf, and working on remodling the kitchen. I hate MY 3 wood with a passion!! I currently have a NIKE ignite 3wood regular flex shaft. I know I need a Stiff shaft, but my real problem is I am not coonfident in my 3wood at all. I have hit a few friends and struck those well but cant produce any results with mine. :confused2:

So without further delay would yall please sell me on a new 3wood...
Thanks for the great help I know I will get!!!

Spoiler
I feel like I'm starting to turn into a club Ho

OK, it has been a while since logging on, I was on vacation in NM and then busy playing golf, watching golf, and working on remodling the kitchen. I hate MY 3 wood with a passion!! I currently have a NIKE ignite 3wood regular flex shaft. I know I need a Stiff shaft, but my real problem is I am not coonfident in my 3wood at all. I have hit a few friends and struck those well but cant produce any results with mine. :confused2:

So without further delay would yall please sell me on a new 3wood...
Thanks for the great help I know I will get!!!

Tex...I was having issues with my 3W as well...
I picked up a Sumo² 3W with the regular Diamana shaft...
Then I started playing the ball where I play my driver...Inside right heel (I am Left handed)
Voila...I started smacking the crap outta the ball...Not as high as I want, but the contact is there....

Best three would I think you will ever find will be the Adams BTY. It is lasy years model ,so start hunting ebay. It's stupid easy to hit.Easy to elevate off the deck.

The R9 is definitely worth a look. It has to be one of the easiest 3 wood I have ever hit off the deck and tee.

My 3w has gone south on me & I don't know why. Off the tee it's fine but off the deck it's useless right now & it used to be my favorite club from there.

I would have to agree with Gasman. The TaylorMade R9 3 Wood is effortless to hit off the deck, and as long or longer than anything else I've hit.

Also, you might want to look into the Nickent 4DX 3 wood. Just as easy to hit as the R9, and a dead heat for distance when I've hit both at the range. Also, the 4DX can be had dirt cheap if you check around eBay. Mine has the UST SR3 Stiff stock shaft, but you might like it with the UST ProForce V2 more.

Quick look for pricing:

TaylorMade R9 3 wood........$125-$150 EBay.........$230 Dick's
TaylorMade R9 TP 3 wood...$209-$250 EBay..........$300 Dick's
Nickent 4DX 3 wood...........$49-$99 EBay.............$159 Nickent

another vote here for the nickent 4DX.

I used to hate woods so much that i bought ironwoods to fill those gaps. I then gambled on a 3 wood with a UST V2 shaft (stiff). Loved it so much that i bought a 5 wood version.

From the reviews though, you gotta get one with a V2 or re-shaft,...not the SR3 shaft.

I put an old Graman UL440 in the 5 wood (bought it for $11 with a ladies flex shaft and no h/c!!!! yes.....$11) and after one round it is a dream. high and long. the face on the 4dx feels so hot.

so cheap....and it was good enough to convert me back to woods. and i REALLY hated em. Surely you cant get a much better testament than that.

is the stiff shaft in the R9 good and comparible to that of the V2 I love the stiff flex V2

From the reviews though, you gotta get one with a V2 or re-shaft,...not the SR3 shaft.

I remember that from the reviews as well, but I love how the UST SR3 performs for me. :confused2:

is the stiff shaft in the R9 good and comparible to that of the V2 I love the stiff flex V2

I'm not as familiar with them, but the R9 comes with a 70 gram Fujikura Motore shaft and the R9 TP comes with a 65 gram (I think - they also list an 85 gram) Fujikura Motore F1.

I remember that from the reviews as well, but I love how the UST SR3 performs for me. :confused2:

i have to be honest and say i have not tried it in a wood. It works fine for me in the 4dx ironwoods i have (though i cant help feeling i could get better).

just whether it is worth the risk of it being no good. Especially when the 4dxs i saw with V2's didnt cost any more. But that was thecluboutlet.com - sadly no longer around. Ebay could be a different animal.

have a nike sasquatch 4 wood....never put it in my bag because i cant hit fairway woods well:at-wits-end:

I have a component 3W, but everyone I talk to say the Adam's line of woods are a pretty decent choice. If I had to go "off the rack", with a swing fitting, I'd look at the Adam's line. :comp:

Best three would I think you will ever find will be the Adams BTY. It is lasy years model ,so start hunting ebay. It's stupid easy to hit.Easy to elevate off the deck.

That was my club and I dumped it the minute I picked up the R9 from this year or the DYMO from this year. Both were better imho.

New 3 wood

New 3 wood

I had trouble with the 3 wood as well. Got a Callaway FT 3 wood 15 degree draw set. What a wonderful club, and I'm not a Callaway fan, in fact to me Callaway is the evil empire. But I went to the dark side for that 3 wood. Mostly everything else in bag is Taylor Made.

OK it is official I went to play today and got rained out after 8 holes..... So the next best thing was go on a 3wood search and the result were very pleasing!! I have selected the R9 to go in my bag as soon as I save some money!! launch angle was a smooth 13* and spin rates were ideal had plenty of pop and distance hit it on average 235 reaching out to 250

Congrats TexAg! Just curious, what made you decided on the strong 3/3+ (13*) instead of a more traditional 15* 3 wood?

nice TexAg!

Congrats TexAg! Just curious, what made you decided on the strong 3/3+ (13*) instead of a more traditional 15* 3 wood?

The club I was hitting was a traditional 3 wood 15* with the Motore 70 shaft in Stiff flex, my launch angle of the ball was at 13*

Calling JB for this one!! JB, do you feel as if the Nike Dymo is as strong of a candidate as the R9! the ideal of having movement of the head in the R9 is great but if performance of the Dymo is comparible I might venture down that route at a cheaper cost.

It really depends what you are looking for. The Str8 fit would more be a comparison of the R9. And the Str8 Fit is cheaper now too.

I am talking about 3 woods. I wasn't aware that Nike had an adjustable 3 wood out.

Sorry, you are correct. I like both of them ALOT.

I forgot to mention a 3-wood for the list. This is just based off reputation, as I've never been able to find one to demo. But have read many sources that claim the Tour Edge Exotics XCG-V (and XCG before it) is the hands-down best fairway wood on the market. But at a cost of ~$350, it had better be.

Glad you decided on the R9. Best club I've ever hit.

Back