I want a new bike...

Gummi Bear

Sporadic Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Bean Dip
*backstory*
I used to be an avid cyclist, riding 50-100 miles per week on a singlespeed mountain bike. It was a lifestyle thing for me at the time. I rode every night, and hit races on the weekends, I managed to put 50k miles per year on my truck travelling to race venues when I was racing. When I got married, I had 13 bikes, from singlespeeds, to beach cruisers, a trials bike, a BMX, a downhill bike and a couple of XC geared bikes. As time went on, the hustle and bustle of married life with a kiddo they've gotten sold off and I'm down to just one.

I've got a heavy bomber (Mountain Cycle Rumble, a dual slalom/freeride bike) that I built up to take the abuse that I like to dish out. I don't ride much anymore though, and it sits for weeks and even months at a time.

Every day I drive past a popular (paved) trail that is about a 10 mile loop that I used to ride on Friday nights, then go out for burgers after. I'm at a point now where I'd like to hit a lap or two on my way home, heaven knows I could use the exercise.

Enter Trek. I've owned their bikes before, and they've always been great, but this one just looks like it'd be a ton of fun to go ripping around on. Time to put in a call to my buddy at the bike shop, and see what kind of deal he can work for me on one once next year's model comes out, and these go on clearance. :D

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | District

trek-district.jpg

I even dig the color. I would change the brakes and pedals though. I like my old Shimano SPD's, and good brakes are money well spent.

Anybody else have dreams of a new bike? Let's hear your story.

Gummi a few years back I had one like this:
series-636-20-lowrider-bike.jpg

Only difference is mine had a black frame, plus I added 8-Ball valve stem caps and curb feelers on the back. Living 2 blocks away from the beach I really want another one!! I have regretted getting rid of mine for a long time....

I have a Trek 7500 that's a lot like that district. At the time they called it a hybrid comfort bike. I got about 7600 miles on it and it's still in great shape. I changed the crank and cassette to make it faster and I love the bike. How much do they want for that bike now? Mine is about 12 years old and it was a clearance item at the time.

I've been thinking about getting another road bike for when I quit golfing (I posted about that in another thread). I still have my mountain bike but I prefer riding on the road. I sold my bike when my wife had our first child but have always kind of missed riding.

Both high end bikes I've had were Treks, can't go wrong with them.

I've never had a "high end" road bike, the closest I've come was a cyclocross bike I had.

I love riding the singlespeeds, that's just one of the selling points of this commuter rig. The fact that it's belt drive (instead of chain) is another, it should be completely silent. It's pretty liberating not fooling with derailleurs and gears, shifters and a bunch of other gadgetry on a bike. It also makes you feel like a kid again, when you mash down on the pedals, you go zooming away with no concern other than how much fun you can cram into the time you have to ride.

I've had Treks, Specialized, Kona, DeKerf, Brisa, Monty, Rocky Mountain, Mountain Cycle, and a California Beach Cruiser.

I always wanted a Moots, a Ibis, Independent and a Matt Chester for mountain bikes. I really dig the old steel road bikes too: Colnago, Campagnolo, Merckx, anything steel and lugged; just never could afford one.

I have an old fashioned Schwinn total girl bike with a comfy seat. All I need is a bell and a basket.

I have an old fashioned Schwinn total girl bike with a comfy seat. All I need is a bell and a basket.

And streamers for the ends of the handlebars.

I put a bell on every bike I own. Only the best though: Incredibell!

The only bike I have left is a Specialized Fatboy cruiser. Ive thought about picking up a new 20 inch but all I will do is hurt myself again. Road bikes have interested me too.

I had one of these on my bike when I was five or six. Never had a bell!

tigeroo.jpg

Hell, I want one of those for the steering wheel of my car.

My dream bike.
PeeWeeBike.jpg

I wouldnt mind getting a new mountain bike. Ive got a '97 Cannondale Super V 500. Id love get a new Fuji hardtail, buy old C-dale is still holding up well, so I cant see the sense in buying something new.
Im personally not a fan of Trek. I used to have a Trek 1000 roadbike and it just seemed very cheaply made.

I wouldnt mind getting a new mountain bike. Ive got a '97 Cannondale Super V 500. Id love get a new Fuji hardtail, buy old C-dale is still holding up well, so I cant see the sense in buying something new.
Im personally not a fan of Trek. I used to have a Trek 1000 roadbike and it just seemed very cheaply made.

Cannondale makes some nice stuff, their new road bike only weighs 12 lbs. (IIRC), they said they had to add weight to it for the Tour de France.

Just wondering with your experience with Trek, what you mean by "cheaply made"? All of the companies use the same components so did the frame break or what? I did have to send the 1200 frame I had back to them because the bottom bracket stripped out. They sent me a new frame to take care of it and I didn't have anymore trouble.

My wife & I have Trek 7300 Hybrids, we like them. I was a bit disappointed after buying ours to discover they are made in China. I was hoping to help the local economy since Treks world headquarters is only 30 minutes away from me. Come to find out they only produce the high end multi thousand dollar bikes here.

My wife thought I was kidding when I told her bikes could easily cost $5-6-7K or more. Then she saw a bike similar to what Lance Armstrong rode & it was something like $9,000!!

And here I thought out bikes were pricey at $550 each:D

I was into my downhill bike for nearly $5k when I quit riding it, and that was decent, but not high zoot parts.

I talked to one of my buddies that still works in a bike shop, he's got a side project working with a fabricator, they're going to build a few frames in the next couple of months (they bought out all the materials from a local boutique bike manufacturer that decided to throw in the towel) Now I'm not sure what I'll end up with. Likely something very similar, but with custom components, for about the same money. We'll see...

Here's a question for you bike types. I have a Clic Gear trolley with regular pneumatic 12" tires on it. Would a bike shop sell a 16-18 inch wheel & tire that would replace these 12 inch ones? Also, has anyone came up with gizmo that would measure distance in yards, that would fit on a golf trolley wheel?

A bunch of us trolley walkers have a Christmas contest scheduled to see who can come up with the best customized Christmas Trolley decoration. I am in the early planning stages, and figure a "lift kit' might be a good place to start. The yardage counter is a patent issue for friend of mine. :clapp:

Getting the bigger rims to mate up with an axle assmebly would be the biggest hassle, also it wouldn't fold up into a neat package any longer.

For distances, look at something that would work for a bicycle, you may have to do some real basic math for conversion though.

I suppose you could find some cartridge bearings to adapt a 16 or 20" BMX rim onto your trolley using the stock spindles. Like Dyna mentioned, it wouldn't be quite as compact, but it'd still fold up as normal.

Worst case, you could turn down some grade 8 bolts into spindles, and make custom ones, without too much difficulty (assuming you know someone with a lathe).

Single speed = masochist!

are you a DORBA member ? I was for a short time.
my cannondale is just gathering dust..

as is a small pile of bike goodies!

I was very active in DORBA for a long time. Haven't paid dues or attended any meeting or function in several years now though.

cool. I only went to the Wed. evening rides in Garland.
I shoould either get back on the bike, or sell it, before it gets way to old, and rot sets in!! I might get lucky and get enough for it, to get a new set of irons or something :D

Just wondering with your experience with Trek, what you mean by "cheaply made"? All of the companies use the same components so did the frame break or what? I did have to send the 1200 frame I had back to them because the bottom bracket stripped out. They sent me a new frame to take care of it and I didn't have anymore trouble.
For me it was more a craftsmanship issue. The welds were poorly done. They have a fair amount of undercut and the bike just didnt have a quality feel like my Cannondale does.
Cannondale sandblasts the welds on their frames, so they look very smooth and the overall bike has a much higher quality feel to it.
You are right about the components. Personally, I wont use anything but Shimano. My old Cannondale has all Shimano STX RC components and I havent had anything wear out yet and havent even had to adjust the shifter cables yet!

Back