The Driving Range

Diane

Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the range - I get bored, but I do love the driving range at Chelsea Piers in NYC. It has 4 levels and the balls come up automatically. If you're on the top level, you always feel good because no matter how badly you hit it - the ball drops down. Also, it's entertaining to see people hit boats - even though it's against the rules. Do you have have a fun range or a serious one that you go to?

The range at my club is an island range and I love using it. Great wedge practice.

The one I go to has heated bays so even when it's -20º, you can still work on your swing or just mindlessly pound ball after ball.

It's more of a fun range instead of a serious one. There are a ton of bays as well as an upper level. 3 mini golf courses, a par 3 course, batting cages, rock climbing, etc.

I don't like the range. It's boring. My course only has like 4 targets at like 100, 150, 200, and 250 yds. Boooo.

I love the range. I would love it more if there was a grass one closer to me, but oh well.

I don't like the range. It's boring. My course only has like 4 targets at like 100, 150, 200, and 250 yds. Boooo.

I only attend in the winter as I too find the range very boring. Would be different if there were actual "greens" out there to fire at.

Two years ago, I belonged to an indoor range, but I didn't like it. I'd rather be outside.

I love a good range where the grass is just as it is on the fairways. I could hit balls there for hours since you can actually get in real practice. At other places it is just gets boring. Although if I was getting paid to play, I would love hitting balls for hours.

I am at a range at my home course at least once a week. My favorite one is located N.E. of Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. (Not sure if the range is in Anaheim) They have several island greens floating in a pond for targets, and the range balls float. They also have a pretty good pro shop onsite with tons of stuff for the golf junky in me. I alway stop in when I get close to it.

Most of the ranges here are pretty boring. Most are grass though. The usual targets from 100 - 250/300 yards.

One of the ranges does have a graffiti'd up van in the middle that's about 150 out. Kinda fun to ping one off the roof or try to hit line drives at it.

I love a good range where the grass is just as it is on the fairways. I could hit balls there for hours since you can actually get in real practice. At other places it is just gets boring. Although if I was getting paid to play, I would love hitting balls for hours.

I go to the range maybe 3 or 4 times a week. I don't just hit balls though. I work on my game. As my game progresses it tells me what I need to work on. I take that to the range and work on it. I have spent many hours practicing a consistent swing. It's come around. So in the round I start connecting pretty good but accuracy is bad. Today at the range I started paying strict attention to the set up and grip to try and stay as square to the ball as I could. I learned that when I grip the club it would turn the face in just a fraction. So I looked at this and worked my grip so that when I closed my fingers with the glove hand around the club it did not turn the face off square. Shot's were surprisingly straight and on target. Can't wait to try this Saturday in the round. The range is my friend but you have to pay attention to using it to build and learn. Not just swinging at bucket after bucket. imo

I haven't been making it to the range lately, work's picking back up. I'm still at the office.

I hit 4 different ranges:

• One on my way from work, it's a meat & potatoes range, with a few flags, and limited flight balls (the only part I don't like)
  • One where I take lessons, I don't make it to this one very often, maybe once a month. This is where I buy my clubs, and have them worked on if it's something I don't have the tools for.
  • One near the house, which I hit the most often. It's got lots of bays, a grass area, a bunker to practice from, a chipping/putting green, and mini golf for when I just want to goof off.
  • Top Golf, which is the one I go to the least, but it's always a ton of fun. Think of it as being like playing skeeball with golf equipment. The balls are limited flight (about 2 clubs), but it's a blast to go out there and play. Top Golf Dallas

I only go to grass ranges. Hitting off mats doesn't work for me. My thought is that I am really hitting on a pad on top of concrete. I don't like the tee heights on the mats either. There are several grass ranges within 20 minutes or so of me. One of them has the mats too, and sometimes they only have those open. Those are the times I don't go to that place.

There are no grass ranges here. The only places you find them are at private clubs.

That's too bad Diane. Hitting off mats is like how Harry feels about meatloaf! Well maybe not quite as intense, but you get the idea! hehehe

Yes, Harry is rather passionate about his meat and the shape it takes.

Yes, Harry is rather passionate about his meat and the shape it takes.

:quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet:

:quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet::quiet:

Smallie - Keep your mind on business. Shape as in loaf. I have no idea what kind of meat. I like to use a mixture in meatloaf.

My range is grass only. but I only usually go there when i don't have time for 9 or working out a flaw.

The range at the club is pretty basic, but it's very handy. Also where I take lessons. It's sometimes intimidating, because most of the folks there are really, really good.

Further away is a public range, with covered bays. I don't like it much, but it's the only choice in lousy weather. This isn't quite as snarky as it sounds, but it's reassuring to pause a few minutes and watch where some of the other golfers' shots go. It makes me feel better about my own game.

I love the range. I use it to focus on what's not working for me and I always try to make a game of it or a test rather than mindlessly hitting balls. Oh and I always try to make sure I get in at least 30 mins on the putting green as well.

I love the range. Many days I would rather go to the range than play. I like it because it gives "instant feedback" on what you're doing wrong by following the ball flight.

I love the range. Many days I would rather go to the range than play. I like it because it gives "instant feedback" on what you're doing wrong by following the ball flight.

I'm with ya Joheli. I didn't play for almost 2 weeks and lived at the range during that little 'break.' Still struggling with the driver so I'm not sure how well that worked out for me but sometimes I like the range better than the course.

I love the range. Grass only, no mats. I go to two different ones, both munis. The Silverbell range is close to my office for lunch, and I go to the Randolph North range in the evenings. I usually go 3-4 times per week. I am working on a couple of swing changes I have not been ready to take to the course yet.

The range at the course nearest me is very basic. The mats are old and there aren't that many stalls. The better range is at a golf course about 15 miles away. It has grass tees, a nice pitching, chipping area, and a separate putting green. Too bad it's so much farther away - I don't make it out there very often.

Back