2009 Evian Masters

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
This week's LPGA tournament is the Evian Masters in Evian, France. It is one of my favorite events on the LPGA Tour. The course is beautiful, we get to see a lot of the LET players we don't normally get to see, the players are treated royally, and it almost has the aura of a major.
Jul 23 6:30-8:30 PM ET GC
Jul 24 6:30-8:30 PM ET GC
Jul 25 1:00-4:00 PM ET GC
Jul 26 1:00-4:00 PM ET GC
Par: 72
Yardage: 6,344

rubon92.jpg

Evian.jpg

Evian12.jpg

Evian34.jpg

Evian56.jpg

Evian78.jpg

Evian910.jpg

Evian1112.jpg

Evian1314.jpg

Evian1516.jpg

Evian1718.jpg

im assuming hole number 5 is supposed to be a par 4? because i dont think any women are making a birdie on that hole :bulgy-eyes:

I too love this event Harry. It is like another major. Good coverage too. Some of these holes need to be moved back though. Par 3 that is only 115 yards needs to go.

I love this tourney as well. After all, look at the defending champion! The hole narration by players (maybe) is cool, too.

I'll say--wow!

Tweet photos from Christina Kim:

Hole #2:
18548031.jpg

Hole #5:
18548301.jpg

Evian Masters 2009 - Tournoi de golf professionnel féminin

Live webcast of the tournament on evianmasters.com from July 23 - July 26, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Not sure if it will be available in the U.S. or if that is French time or Eastern U.S. time. (I think Evian is 6 hours ahead of Eastern U.S. time.)

EDIT:

Twitter photos from @evianmasters

Hole #1:
Evian-Hole1.jpg

Helen Alfredsson on the practice putting green:
Evian-ppg.jpg

Helen Alfredsson:
[YOUTUBE]Z30gqMwxQqo[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT #2:

Another Twitter photo from Morgan Pressel. Practice area:
18273130.jpg

Last edited:
After that, I may not be the only one with a crush on Helen Alfredsson.

6300 yd course, nice. Those yardages fit in with what I can actually play. May actually watch this tournament.

Most of their tournies this year seem to be about that distance Dyna.

I'm excited about the coverage and will be watching.:clap:

Just a reminder that web coverage is supposed to start in a little less than 3 hours:

As last year, the Evian Masters proposes all internet fans to feel the emotions of our unique tournament, directly on our official website.

You will be able to watch every round of the tournament, through our Evian Masters TV Live, that will broadcast from 7am to 6pm (local time), between three holes: hole #1, hole #6 and hole #18.

ET is 6 hours "earlier" than local time in Evian.
CT = 7 hours earlier
MT = 8 hours earlier
PT = 9 hours earlier

Hmmm. So far the webcast is disappointing. Tiny stationary video and no audio.

Watching it now, just came on. No sound yet:angry:

Can't tell who is on the tee, they are just stretching and wandering around. I guess they don't actually tee off for another 10 minutes, maybe the sound will show up then.

unless you have been to Lake geneva, you cannot appreciate the beauty of that area. It truelly is stunning.

In fact i am picking a friend up from the airport who will have flown back from geneva tommorrow! -I have been several times.

the course itself is set a little distance from evian though....as evian is on the lake front. But being set back is only a bonus, as the further up the hill, the more impressive it is.

doubt t will get any mainstrem coverage here in the UK (i dont have sky) - which is a shame.

It wasn’t a good day for Wie. She ended at +1, tied for 53rd.

This leaderboard does not make for very good casual fan tv.

No it isn’t JB. Maybe something will change tomorrow so the weekend lineup will be different. Nothing against the leaders but I would like to see the LPGA catch a break and get some of the bigger name Americans at the top of the leader board. In the end I think it would be better for the entire organization and the individual golfers.

They dont even have to be Americans for me. They just need more big names.

I find it curious that the stories on the front page of the website have different photos accompanying them:

Image1-1.jpg

Image2-1.jpg

Some observations:

• Michelle Wie's facial expression when she picked up the divot from her chip in on 17 was hilarious. Like this, :excruciating:, only laughing. Nice birdie-birdie finish too after a less than stellar day. Hopefully that's her bad round for the week.

• Holy exploderating hotels Batman! How about the small hotel where a bunch of players were staying that caught fire at 10 p.m. the night before the first round. No smoke detectors and no fire alarms. The players just heard "crackling" and opened their doors to the fire. Amy Yang and her father threw their mattresses out the window and jumped off the balcony. Catriona Matthew's husband (and caddie) got 2nd degree burns on his foot running out of the fire. I'm surprised the only story was the comments from the announcers and the interview with Amy Yang. Why nothing on the Golf magazine websites?

• I wasn't aware that Suzann Pettersen picked up Lorena's former caddie. Boy, talk about a reverse of temperament.

• Enjoyed Morgan Pressel's interview with Tom Abbott. She's becoming very press savvy. Very comfortable with interviews. Peach and beige outfit was cute too.

• I forgot that GC has to rely on European cameras. Between the British Open last week and the Evian Masters, it makes me wonder why American cameramen and women are so much better at framing the shots and following the ball. WTF? Also, no on-course announcers - only Beth Daniel (who has good comments, but her voice drives me bananas) and Brian Hammond (who is a great "traffic controller" but not much of a "personality.")

• Did anyone else notice the slope on the 16th green?!?! Holy cow! And on top of that, the pin placement was only about 15 feet from the front of the green, which was the downhill edge of the slope. Tough approach shot or tough downhill putt, player's choice.

• Normally, I don't like the players wearing the short-shorts, but they looked okay on [SIZE=-1] Marianne Skarpnord. She managed to pull them off.
    [/SIZE]

Found an article on the hotel fire:
Yang, Matthew escape Evian Masters hotel blaze - Â*MSN Sports Singapore | news and images | football | f1 | golf | tennis | nba | cricket |

Yang, Matthew escape Evian Masters hotel blaze

Scotland's Catriona Matthew and Amy Yang of South Korea were forced to escape a blazing building on the eve of the Evian Masters.

Scotland's Catriona Matthew and Amy Yang of South Korea were forced to escape a blazing building on the eve of the Evian Masters.

Yang and Matthew were in an apartment block where they were staying with their families near the Evian Masters Golf Course when a fire broke out at around 2000GMT on Wednesday.

Matthew and her husband Graeme heard a noise which they thought was rain, but they turned out to be flames ravaging the building.

As they ran out through the door, the porch roof collapsed burning Graeme Matthew's bare feet and he spent the evening being treated in hospital.

He was unable to caddie for his wife on Thursday.

However, Catriona Matthew, playing in her first tournament since the birth of her second daughter Sophie nine and a half weeks ago, was able to make her tee time.

Luckily, the pair had left their two small daughters Sophie and Katie at home.

Yang was staying on the second floor of the building and was sleeping when her father heard strange noises.

"I was sleeping but my dad was not sleeping. We heard some noises and he told me that there were some fireworks. We checked it out and I saw we already couldn't get out of the room to the door," she said.

"First thing he thought of was the golf bag and clothing bag but there was no clothing in it, just one T-shirt. We jumped out and the smoke was really bad so my dad threw the mattress and we jumped out of there. I'm trying not to think about it and just focus on the golf."

Yang's father singed the hair on his arm as they escaped through the burning window frame.

Both players recorded the same score in the first round - a two-over par 74 which left them tied for 64th place.

That is really scary about the fire. I remember gazillion years ago, a French nightclub caught fire and almost everyone was trapped inside and died of smoke inhalation--because the doors opened in, not out. People were so jammed against the doors they wouldn't open.

When are they gonna get it?

Anyway, back on topic. NY Choi has serious game. Not a huge name yet, but she was second to Yani Tseng last year in the rookie of the year race (and it took until the end of the season for Yani to nail it down).

Harry,
The camera work was almost unwatchable. Pressel has great people taking care of her and working with her on interviews. Hopefully a few can do that for Wie as well.

Back