Who Knew Bacon, Sausage, & Cheese had salt

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lawsuit alleges unsafe salt at Denny's - UPI.com

A class action lawsuit filed Thursday by a New Jersey man alleges meals at Denny's contain unsafe salt levels, a non-profit groups said.

The lawsuit, filed with the support of the food advocacy group Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington, seeks to compel Denny's to disclose on menus the amount of sodium in each of its meals and to place a notice on its menus warning about high sodium levels.

Nick DeBenedetto, a 48-year-old resident of Tinton Falls, N.J., said he has eaten for many years at Denny's restaurants but does not cook with salt or use the salt shaker at home. He is being treated for high blood pressure.

"I was astonished to find that these simple sandwiches have more salt than someone in my condition should have in a whole day," DeBenedetto said in a statement.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends most Americans consume no more than 1,500 milligrams of sodium per day.

At Denny's, the great majority of meals contain more sodium and some meals provide more than 4,000 mg or 5,000 mg of sodium, Michael F. Jacobson, CSPI executive director said.

For example, Denny's Meat Lover's Scramble, which has two eggs with chopped bacon, diced ham, crumbled sausage, Cheddar cheese, plus two bacon strips, two sausage links, hash browns, and two pancakes has 5,690 mg sodium, Jacobson said.

Good lord man, everything in moderation!

I can tell he doesn't cook - he would know scrambled eggs have salt in them.

I'll drum up sympathy now...

...trying...

...nope.

• Admin
The sad part is, there are some lawyers behind a lot of this. Class action lawsuits are not usually just about one guy.

Yet another example of why we need tort reform.

I agree.

My B-I-L is a personal injury attorney. He continually tells me he has the most noble profession known to man. :bulgy-eyes:

Im pretty sure that even if they posted the amount of sodium in the food, it wouldnt stop people from eating at Dennys.

Im pretty sure that even if they posted the amount of sodium in the food, it wouldnt stop people from eating at Dennys.

Agreed, I know I wouldn't be deterred.. I mean, if I wanted a healthy breakfast, I'd eat at home, I go to breakfast joints to SPLUUURRGE!! :joy:

Then I get home and hate myself for the rest of the day... oh, but there's those few fleeting moments of pure fattening ecstasy...:drool:

I like Denny's breakfast! Of course, I like salt....and fat....and sugar.....and monosodium glutamate....you know, all the basic food groups....

Maybe that's why they had to put that stent in me???? Hmmmmmm!

I like Denny's breakfast! Of course, I like salt....and fat....and sugar.....and monosodium glutamate....you know, all the basic food groups....

Ahhhh....tmi!

Sounds lovely..

A stent is a small mesh tube that’s used to treat narrowed or weakened arteries in the body.

shiver

"I was astonished to find that these simple sandwiches have more salt than someone in my condition should have in a whole day," DeBenedetto said in a statement.

:bulgy-eyes: A sandwich at just about any restaurant will have lots of salt. 22 of the 34 sandwiches on Subway's online menu have 1000mg of sodium, with 13 of those having 1500mg or more.

Duh!

Nick DeBenedetto thinking to himself: “Hmm, I wonder why these eggs taste so much better than mine at home? I guess it’s the magic ferry dust Denny’s sprinkles on them because it surely couldn’t be salt.”

When stupid people meet with unethical lawyers and advocacy groups it is bad for America. :angry::banghead:

When stupid people meet with unethical lawyers and advocacy groups it is bad for America. :angry::banghead:

:thumb:

PREACH ON BRUTHA!! For the most part, not a fan the whole lawsuit thing, it has gotten way out of hand and now EVERYONE is looking for an excuse to sue someone... Sigh.. it's sad really, I'm sure the initial intent of a a lawsuit was meant to benefit those who were slighted and had no recourse, but now it's things like "I ate at your restaurant and I got fat, you owe me" or "I was illegally underage drinking at your establishment and I'm now suing you for the car accident I got into."

Bleh... not a fan at all.

:thumb:

PREACH ON BRUTHA!! For the most part, not a fan the whole lawsuit thing, it has gotten way out of hand and now EVERYONE is looking for an excuse to sue someone... Sigh.. it's sad really, I'm sure the initial intent of a a lawsuit was meant to benefit those who were slighted and had no recourse, but now it's things like "I ate at your restaurant and I got fat, you owe me" or "I was illegally underage drinking at your establishment and I'm now suing you for the car accident I got into."

Bleh... not a fan at all.

Me neither. See my post #6 above.

:bulgy-eyes: A sandwich at just about any restaurant will have lots of salt. 22 of the 34 sandwiches on Subway's online menu have 1000mg of sodium, with 13 of those having 1500mg or more.

Duh!

Funny how Jared fails to mention that in his spots....

The 'best' ever was "you mean that coffee was hot? why didn't you tell me before I spilled it in my lap!?!?! Damn you Mickey D's!!!!"

The 'best' ever was "you mean that coffee was hot? why didn't you tell me before I spilled it in my lap!?!?! Damn you Mickey D's!!!!"

haha, I almost mentioned that one! I saw one about a dude who was suing the scratch off lottery ticket company because at the time he made the purchase the grand prize was already taken (not that he would've won if it was there) and he didn't think it was fair bla bla bla.. and wanted some type of monetary compensation for being mislead..

haha, I almost mentioned that one! I saw one about a dude who was suing the scratch off lottery ticket company because at the time he made the purchase the grand prize was already taken (not that he would've won if it was there) and he didn't think it was fair bla bla bla.. and wanted some type of monetary compensation for being mislead..

Jesus Christo! PA had a lawsuit here about 3 years ago where some 80 yr old lady sued the state lottery commission because she hadn't won anything yet. Her arguement was that it was impossible for her not to have won something given the number of times she played over the years. The verdict was 'case dismissed'

Reminds me of this joke:

Brandi the blonde is in such serious financial trouble that she decides to ask God for help. She prays, "God, I lost my business and if I don’t get some money soon, I’m going to lose my car. Please, God: let me win the Lotto."

But Lotto night comes and goes and Brandi’s numbers don’t come up. Again she prays, "God, I’ve lost my business and now my car and if I don’t get some money soon, I’m going to lose my home. Please, God: let me win the Lotto."

But again, Lotto night comes and goes and Brandi’s numbers don’t come up. In desperation she prays, "God, I’ve lost my business, my car, and my home and if I don’t get some money soon, my children will starve. Please, God: just this once, help me get my life back in order. Let me win the Lotto!"

Suddenly there is a blinding flash of light, a roar of thunder, the heavens open and Brandi hears the voice of God Himself!

"Brandi, my child! Meet Me halfway on this. Buy a ticket!"

The sad part is, there are some lawyers behind a lot of this. Class action lawsuits are not usually just about one guy.

A class-action suit by definition can't be about one guy...

Yet another example of why we need tort reform.

YES! You're absolutely right! Because of the one stupid lawsuit filed among the several million ongoing lawsuits in this country, we must come to the conclusion that the entire system is broken! Reform now! :rolleyes:

As to the lawsuit itself, I have one thing to say to this gentleman: D-U-H! Are you effing kidding me? This guy has HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, and is at least knowledgeable enough about his own medical condition that he cooks without salt at home, yet he eats at $%*&ing DENNY'S every day for YEARS and what, he thinks they cook low-sodium, heart-healthy meals? HOLY BLEEPING BLEEP, what an idiot! :at-wits-end:

It's an easy one to point out, but the coffee wasn't hot - it caused 3rd degree burns to her... well, you know. Third degree burns. That's more than hot. And if you think it's not that big a deal, google "3rd degree burns" and look at the pictures. I'll spare everyone from posting any here.

Back