How many clubs are in your bag?

Hanks

On the Fringe
Reaction score
Handicap
bOOBs
Just out of curiosity, does everyone carry the correct amount of clubs in your bag (14) or do you 'cheat' and carry 15 or 16? Assuming that you're playing with friends and not competitively in a tournament, etc.

I carry 14 unless I am testing equipment. Then I may have an extra driver in my bag or an extra putter.

14 all the time!

My bag has 14 dividers and a putter well, so sometimes I carry two drivers. I practice on the range and decide which one I am using that day. If I don't make it back to the truck I carry both. I might cheat and switch off during the round if the one I picked was the wrong choice that day!

Last weekend, when I got my chipper mid round I actually had 16 clubs! Ooops!

I carry 14. On days that its hot/humid, and I know I'll be dragging a pull cart around, I try to reduce the weight of the bag by taking our clubs that I know I won't need for the course I'm playing (maybe one hybrid and the 4-iron, or a fairway wood).

There was a time when I carried 15 clubs - Driver, 3W, 5W, 7W, 3-PW, SW, LW and a putter. I no longer carry a 7wood, nor a 60*, and now carry just 14.

14 for me. My bag has 15 slots for some reason, so I jam my umbrella in there.

I only carry 14 unless I have some demos that I am trying out then I will carry more. If I am demoing a new driver I want to be able to hit it and my normal driver both on a few holes.

I carry 11 clubs and I'm sure I even need all of them lately.

Fourteen on the nose.

14 or 15 for me.

I'll see if the 2H is working better than the 4w, and swap out. Sometimes I can't make it back to the truck either.

14. I'd love to add one more, a gap wedge, but rules are rules.

I make one exception. When I take my annual summer trip to Scottsdale, I bring along an old 8 iron to hit out of the desert.

Question for those of you who carry more than 14 and this includes you JB when you're testing clubs - do you post scores from those rounds?

I carry 13 clubs but I'm looking for a 60* for a lefty to round it out to 14

15+, except in sanctioned play. I like to try out different shots, with different clubs when playing just for fun rounds. The club I take out for accountable, sanctioned rounds is a toss up between my driver, and #4 hybrid. My 14 club bag when loaded up will weigh some where between 25-30 pounds. :cool:

I don't keep score sometimes regardless of how many clubs I am carrying. Just no reason to keep score every time out. I probably keep track of my first putts, or short game average more times than I keep an actual over all score card. If I am out there walking by myself, pretty much alone, I will play multiple balls, using a different club for the shot (lie) at hand. As far as posting scores for hndcp purposes, to be used later in sanctioned events, I use those rounds with 14 clubs or fewer. I have played my home course with as few as 3 clubs in some special tournaments, and posted those scores. :clapp:

Question for those of you who carry more than 14 and this includes you JB when you're testing clubs - do you post scores from those rounds?

14 here as well, though I could probably do just fine with 11.

I could probably do as well dropping a few clubs too.

I don't count it when I use the other driver, btw. But I haven't entered any scores yet this year anyway.

Just out of curiosity, does everyone carry the correct amount of clubs in your bag (14) or do you 'cheat' and carry 15 or 16? Assuming that you're playing with friends and not competitively in a tournament, etc.

I actually usually go the opposite way, I generally have 13 clubs in my bag (D, 3w, 2h, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW, putter). Sometimes I'll take the gap wedge out and play with 12. I always carry, so weight can be an issue, depending on the weather. I've also had a bad back recently, and played a few 9 hole rounds with 8 clubs (D, 2h, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW, putter). To be honest, the only club I really missed was the gap wedge when I played like that.

Why not? I thought you've been playing.

I have been practicing more than playing. I've only had a handful of rounds that would count. Just haven't bothered entering, more than anything.

It would seem you would have some overlap there with a 3 and 4 hybrid and a 3 and 4 iron, no?

I don't carry a 3i, just 4-pw. I hit my 4 hybrid 195 and my 4 iron 185. As I mentioned in another thread, for me the 4 hybrid actually replaces a 3 iron. The 3 hybrid replaces either a 2 iron or 5 wood. That is my dilemma right now. I either have a gap between my pw (46*) and sw (54*) or between my 5 iron (175 yds) and 4 hybrid. I've chosen to keep my 4 iron in the bag because I can hit a 3/4 pw pretty well to fill the gap.

I don't carry a 3i, just 4-pw. I hit my 4 hybrid 195 and my 4 iron 185. As I mentioned in another thread, for me the 4 hybrid actually replaces a 3 iron. The 3 hybrid replaces either a 2 iron or 5 wood. That is my dilemma right now. I either have a gap between my pw (46*) and sw (54*) or between my 5 iron (175 yds) and 4 hybrid. I've chosen to keep my 4 iron in the bag because I can hit a 3/4 pw pretty well to fill the gap.

Yeah, at your handicap that would seemingly make sense. Although, the more I think about it, I would argue that the extra wedge is more likely to shave a stroke off your scores than a 3 iron. Maybe play the same course a few times with the different setups and see which is more useful? I'm sure that's not a revolutionary recommendation, but I personally would go with the extra wedge. I have at least a 30 yard gap (probably more like 45) between my hybrid (16*) and my 4 iron, and the only time I ever really feel like I wish I had a 3 is off the tee on short par 4's.

Back