I just watched the recording and I am not sure I heard that the same way.

Heh-heh. Keep watching soxy.

I know later she made the statement that Michelle hasn't won on tour yet, etc, but I think she is just trying to keep everything a possibility. After than first comment I think Michelle is in, but I do think Beth would rather her play herself into the top 10 or at least closer. I am watching Friday's round now.

Okay, if I understand the points allocation system correctly, a player only receives points if she finishes in the top 20 of an event.

Spoiler because there is a discussion of today's results at Evian:
Spoiler
Right now, the only U.S. players in the top 20 at Evian are: Paula Creamer (T7) and Cristie Kerr (T4) who are both already locks for the top 10 in Solheim points; Brittany Lang (T11) who is probably guaranteed a top 10 spot; Wendy Ward (T11) who currently sits in 17th on the Solheim points list with 132.5 points); and Stacy Lewis (T11) who is mathematically eliminated from the top 10.

Michelle Wie is T23 and 2 shots out of the top 20 at Evian, so she could easily get a few Solheim points. But, likely not enough to vault her into the 11 or 12 position, which would make it easy for Beth Daniel to select her as a captain's pick with virtually no potential criticism.

Juli Inkster maybe playing herself out of a captain's pick with her play this week. She's currently T59 and +1 for the tournament. In contrast, Stacy Lewis is surging at the right time. I think Inkster may be offered an assistant captain position and a promise of captain in 2011 or 2013.

This really is going to come down to the Women's British Open. But what if Wendy Ward has a good finish at Evian? No one has even mentioned her as a captain's pick.

I think if Inskster is chosen they really need to rethink the points system. Experience or not, I cannot even remember the last time she was relevent in an event.

It is the top 20 that will earn points, but check out below to see those point totals. Michelle needs over 30 points to move into the 13th spot, 40 to move into the 12th. She needs to get into that top 10 at the Evian to really make a move. The good thing is however, that all points are doubled for a major. Next week should be exciting for the Solheim points in addition to it being a major!

Solheim Cup years – 60 points for first, 30 for second, 28.5 for third, 27 for fourth, 25.5 for fifth, 24 for sixth, 22.5 for seventh, 21 for eighth, 19.5 for ninth, 18 for 10th, 16.5 for 11th, 15 for 12th, 13.5 for 13th, 12 for 14th, 10.5 for 15th, 9 for 16th, 7.5 for 17th, 6 for 18th, 4.5 for 19th and 3 for 20th.

That's 7.5 points for Stacy Lewis--a good move for her.

We will be putting up part 1 of a 3 part article series on the Solheim Cup. Jason K has put this together and the entire thing will be 3 parts.

Part 1 - Some history for people not real familiar on the event as well as background info.
Part 2 - Preview of the event once selections are made.
Part 3 - Recap of the Solheim Cup at completion.

We hope everybody likes the articles and lets Jason know their thoughts on the team competition.

Ok, the possibility is back that I will be going to Solheim. I will be taking 3 flights, two different rental cars and all with my golf clubs. but I think I am going to go on both Thursday and Friday!:blob::blob::blob::blob::blob:

Ok, the possibility is back that I will be going to Solheim. I will be taking 3 flights, two different rental cars and all with my golf clubs. but I think I am going to go on both Thursday and Friday!:blob::blob::blob::blob::blob:

:shock:

so.jealous. :sad:

I totally agree with these statements:

Three captain's picks for two spots
RANDALL MELL, Senior Writer, GolfChannel.com
Posted 07/25/2009, 10:02 AM EST
You can see the effects the pressure to make the Solheim Cup appears to be having at the Evian Masters.

Laura Diaz and Stacy Prammanasudh, 11th and 12th, respectively, on the U.S. Solheim Cup points list, both missed the cut.

The top 10 at the conclusion of next week’s Ricoh Women’s British Open automatically make the team.

The interesting storyline brewing is over whom American captain Beth Daniel will choose as her two captain’s picks.

She may have a tough, tough choice to make with three candidates standing out.

Diaz and Prammanasudh better make the team on points with big finishes next week, because they’ve been moving backwards on the points list all season. Diaz hasn’t earned a point all year and Prammanasudh hasn’t earned a point in more than four months.

The three names Daniel has to be studying most closely as captain’s picks off the points list are No. 13 Pat Hurst, No. 14 Juli Inkster and No. 16 Michelle Wie, all of whom made the cut at Evian. No. 15 Jane Park shot 80 on Saturday and hasn’t earned a Solheim Cup point in more than four months.

It would be difficult to argue with Daniel taking Hurst and Inkster , a pair of Solheim Cup veterans, but Wie’s hotter and playing with better momentum. If all three remain outside the top 10, Daniel’s in a hard spot. Inkster , a Hall of Famer, may be looking at her last shot to play in the Solheim Cup. How do you deny her? Then again, Hurst is the only one of the three who has a victory this season.

Hurst and Inkster are good friends, but if Wie closes strong while staying outside the top 10 in points, are Inkster and Hurst pitted against each other in Daniel’s mind for the last captain’s pick?

I totally agree with these statements:

Me too, except I would add Stacy Lewis to the mix based on her play the last couple of months.

Right now Stacy Lewis and Michelle Wie should be the 2 that are chosen. They are playing better than any of the other names. Are two names that could be the future of the LPGA and can bring casual fans to the coverage.

Guys, I have to disagree with Stacy Lewis. I am a big fan of hers and think she will make numerous Solheim Cup teams in the future, but she won't even be in the top 20. I don't think you can make a captain's pick for someone so far from the top 10. No new standings out yet this AM, I will post when they are up.

A Stina Sternberg Article from Golf World

A Wie Chance of Making the Team

07.23.09 | 8:53 PM
In exactly 10 days, at the conclusion of the Ricoh Women's British Open at Royal Lytham and St Annes in Lancashire, England, the 2009 U.S. and European Solheim Cup teams will be announced. The European team will include the top five players on the Ladies European Tour points list, the top four European players on the Rolex World Rankings and three captain's picks; the U.S. team will include the top 10 players on the American Solheim Cup points list, plus two captain's picks. As the clock ticks closer to decision time for captain Beth Daniel, the identities of the American captain's picks are the subjects of great speculation. The home team will be heavy favorites to win this year's event at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove, Ill., August 17-13, no matter who Daniel picks, but there's a lot riding on her choices.

First of all, there's what most people would call the mandatory Solheim send-off of veteran Juli Inkster. At age 49, Inkster has lead the U.S. team to victory in four of seven Solheim Cups she's played, and if she gets another invite this year, she'd tie Daniel and Meg Mallon for most Solheims played by an American at eight (Englishwoman Laura Davies has 10 starts and is likely to make the 2009 team on points alone; if not, she's a shoe-in for a European captain's pick to take her total to 11). Unless Inkster, currently 14th on the list, pulls off a win at the Evian Masters this week or a couple of back-to-back top fives in the next two events, she's not going to make the team on points. But even if she hasn't exactly had a great year so far (her best finish is a T11 at the Michelob Ultra in May), she always seems to step up her game at the Solheim Cup. Add to that her close friendship with Daniel and the indisputable fact that she's become a crucial den mother to all the younger players, and it'd be tough -- if not cold -- for Daniel not to pick her.

Next, there are Solheim Cup veterans Laura Diaz and Pat Hurst, currently in 11th and 13th place in the rankings. Both have proven records in the Solheim Cup and tend to take on leadership roles, just like Inkster -- qualities that are valuable on a team full of young players -- but neither has been playing well lately. Hurst's win at the Mastercard Classic in March has been followed mainly by missed cuts and finishes in the 50s and 60s, and Diaz's 2009 season has been nothing short of abysmal (her best three finishes of the year, all T-26, came in February and March). Unless they pull off miracles during the tour's current European swing, picking either of them would amount to questionable favoritism on Daniel's part.

Then there's Michelle Wie. Currently in 16th place in Solheim Cup points, she'd also need two top-fives in the next two weeks to break onto the team on points merits. The Evian Masters is one of her favorite events and she's come close to winning there in the past, and a -2 start Thursday bodes well for the rest of her week, but nobody's banking on back-to back romps by the rookie from Hawaii. However, Wie's current form is as good as it's been in years: she has two top-10s in her last two starts and five total this season, and her injuries and parental demons seem to be a thing of the past. Plus, her Solheim Cup points would be a lot higher if she'd had two years to accumulate them like the rest of the players above her on the list; since she didn't officially join the tour until this season, she's getting shafted on the math end. Especially considering the limited number of qualifying events on the 2009 calendar.

Some might say Daniel would be crazy to pick a rookie who's never played in a Solheim Cup before, but there could be a lot to gain from going with Wie -- not the least of which would be some much-needed suspense and media hype. If there's one thing the LPGA Tour needs right now, it's good publicity, and say what you will of Wie's troubled past, but she's by far the biggest media draw in women's golf. Would picking Wie be worth it even if she wasn't playing at her best? That's debatable. But hopefully she'll perform well enough in France and England to leave Daniel with an easy choice.

Personally, I think Wie and Inkster paired together in foursomes and best ball could make for some of the most riveting Solheim Cup viewing we've seen all decade.

--Stina Sternberg

I'd love to see Inkster, but I'm really concerned about her game this year. Inkster and Wie would be great bookends for the team.

Interesting issues on the LET as well, given that Anna Nordqvist and Karen Stupples would both need captain's picks to get in.

I'm jealous as well, Soxy--particularly because I'll be at my in-laws'!

Guys, I have to disagree with Stacy Lewis. I am a big fan of hers and think she will make numerous Solheim Cup teams in the future, but she won't even be in the top 20. I don't think you can make a captain's pick for someone so far from the top 10. No new standings out yet this AM, I will post when they are up.

Soxy, the one thing you have to remember about Lewis is, that, as a rookie, she has only had 7 months to acquire Solheim Cup points, whereas, all the other girls in contention (save Michelle Wie, also a rookie) have had a full two years.

Soxy, the one thing you have to remember about Lewis is, that, as a rookie, she has only had 7 months to acquire Solheim Cup points, whereas, all the other girls in contention (save Michelle Wie, also a rookie) have had a full two years.

That is exactly right. That is why I think the system is a little flawed. I dont see anybody in front of her other than Wie that is playing as well right now.

The LPGA has posted the new points, but they only list the top 15.

Rank Player Points
1 Paula Creamer 769.5
2 Cristie Kerr 693.5
3 Angela Stanford 573.0
4 Nicole Castrale 314.0
5 Brittany Lang 301.5
6 Morgan Pressel 277.0
7 Kristy McPherson 276.0
8 Christina Kim 255.0
9 Brittany Lincicome 250.0
10 Natalie Gulbis 201.0
11 Laura Diaz 177.0
12 Stacy Prammanasudh 170.0
13 Pat Hurst 164.0
14 Juli Inkster 152.0
15 Jane Park 141.0

No significant changes for those on the bubble.

Anyone outside the top 15 would have to win the British Open to make the Top 10 on the points list.

Stacy Lewis would break into the top 12 with a win. I think that would make her a lock. Same for Michelle Wie if she takes 2nd.

I think Stacy P. and Laura Diaz are out unless they make the team on points.

Interesting thought: What if someone knocks Gulbis out of the top 10? She's been playing consistently well this year and is a Solheim veteran. What if it comes down to a choice between Wie and Gulbis?

It shouldn't Harry. Both should make the team. I hate that it has to be this way. But players like Gulbis, Wie, Creamer should be locks. Because the LPGA and ladies golf in general needs all the help it can get. Not to mention that I cannot think of anybody US playing consistently better than the two of them this year outside of the top 10.

I agree, JB.

Plus, it would take a really high finish to knock Natalie Gulbis out of the top ten.

Here are the standings 16-24.

16 Michelle Wie 133.5
17 Wendy Ward 132.5
18 Meaghan Francella 117.5
19 Irene Cho 90.5
20 Allison Fouch 84.0
21 Michele Redman 82.0
22 Stacy Lewis 76.5
23 Leta Lindley 67.0
T24 Jill McGill 58.0
T24 Heather Young 58.0

Lets take a look at the 10-22's performances this year:

Laura Diaz: 0 top 10s, 0 top 20s, 9 missed cuts
Stacy P: 1 top 10, 0 top 20s, 7 missed cuts
Pat Hurst: 1 win, 1 top 10, 0 top 20s, 4 missed cuts
Juli Inkster: 0 top 10s, 2 Top 20s, 1 missed cuts
Jane Park: 2 top 10s, 0 top 20, 6 cuts/WDC
Michelle Wie: 5 top 10s, 1 top 20, 0 missed cuts
Wendy Ward: 2 top 10s, 1 top 20, 2 missed cuts
Meaghan Francella: 2 top 10s, 2 top 20s, 1 missed cut
Irene Cho: 0 top 10s, 2 top 20s, 5 missed cuts
Allison Fouch: 0 top 10s, 1 top 20, 5 missed cuts
Michelle Redman: 0 top 10, 1 top 20, 4 missed cuts
Stacy Lewis: Two top 10s, 2 top 20s, 5 missed cuts

If you are just going by play this year, then included in the topic of Michelle Wie (who I think is a lock) and Stacy Lewis, is also Meaghan Francella. Both she and Stacy have 2 top 10s and 2 top 20s.

I still think that Juli Inkster's numbers this year (her top 4 finishes: 11, 15, 22 and 26) combined with her experience and winning percentage in the Solheim earns her a captains pick. If you look at that top 10 automatic picks, I believe there are only 9 Solheims between ALL of them. It is a different atmosphere and I think what Julie brings in experience is worth it. But I see the argument for Stacy or Meaghan.

I think you have to look at the Euro team though and see that I am not sure experience and the course dictate who you pick. Inkster has struggled for the most part lately and Wie and Lewis are both playing EXTREMELY well. If they both play well in the British, it would be hard to choose against them. But this is the LPGA (sort of) and they always seem to find a way to choose what the casual fan will not watch.

By the way, bought my tickets for Friday's round tonight! Woohoo!:blob::blob::blob::blob:

But this is the LPGA (sort of) and they always seem to find a way to choose what the casual fan will not watch.

I am not sure that the casual fan has heard of Stacy Lewis more than they have heard of Julie Inkster? Michelle Wie, hands down would be a huge mistake not to pick based on the number of fans and attention she will bring the tournament.

Back