Cavity back wedges or blade style?

Hotled

Reaction score
Handicap
old age
Just curious as to who plays what and why.
I have never played a blade style wedge before and I am looking real hard at the Cleveland RTX CB and blade style when it's released in Feb.
Is there a performance difference or is it a feel preference?
I have noticed that I can get the bladed style in low bounce that I prefer and the CB version is just labeled standard which I believe is 12* or more.
So does say a 54*or 56* CB play the same as a blade but just feel different?

Blade style

Blade style. Just personal preference for me.

Bladethemstyle for me

Blade for me. The 588CB isn't bad though

blade. cuts thru thick stuff a lot better.

I have the 60* RTX CB and really really like it. I replaced a Vokey 62.7 with it and I think the biggest difference to me is the 5 extra degrees of bounce that the Cleveland has. The wedge is very forgiving and I rarely chuck a chip shot with it. I also like that it is a D5 swing weight, gives me much more feel.

I have both. Cavity in PW and GW and blade in S. really thinking about going all blade though with score or Cleveland. Like I need to be spending more money on clubs...... The Cleveland personalized wedges have me in serious ponder mode.

J

I'm new to the CBs but I liked the way they felt when I hit em

Blades for the feel.

Pretty much what I thought based on the answers so far, it looks to be more of a feel thing vs. playability or performance.

Blade style because I haven't hit CB wedges.

Blade style because I haven't hit CB wedges.

I second this. Well, have hit them a couple times, but not enough to rule them out.

Yup, blade style.

Both. I love my Vokeys and I love my PING Tour S

I've played both throughout the years. If we are talking about a traditional size and shaped wedge, it doesn't really matter to me.

Blade for me. I play a CB in my pitching wedge, but my 52, 56, and 60 are all blade style. Its just personal preference for me.

Cavity back or blade style... doesn't matter to me. I don't notice a performance difference between the 2. There are other things I look for in a wedge like sole, leading edge, hosel design, etc...

Combo platter for me, gap wedge cavity back and sand and lob wedge blade style.

Which ever works Have used both

Depends. I like blades (regular gamers are blades) for the higher lofted wedges, but could definitely see the CB being helpful on full swings. I will say that the 588 RTX CB have opened my eyes a bit though. Took a bit to get used to them Use what works best for your game.

Depends. I like blades (regular gamers are blades) for the higher lofted wedges, but could definitely see the CB being helpful on full swings. I will say that the 588 RTX CB have opened my eyes a bit though. Took a bit to get used to them Use what works best for your game.

JonD, Thats exactly my little dilemma, I have never played blade styles before and as you may have seen in my Ponder thread that I can get either One Cleveland RTX CB for free probably go for a 56 to go along with my current PW45,AW50. Or I can get this full set for free as well.
Z0579551

I have always had blade style wedges myself. Like the feel and workability. Not saying a cb would be less workable because I don't know for sure.

JonD, Thats exactly my little dilemma, I have never played blade styles before and as you may have seen in my Ponder thread that I can get either One Cleveland RTX CB for free probably go for a 56 to go along with my current PW45,AW50. Or I can get this full set for free as well.
Z0579551

I dunno man. I'd probably go for the set. RTX CB is a solid club but you can get three for that price and then you have options. Maybe you start off with just one or two in the bag and ease into it. Just thinking out loud. I know when I started, the first blade wedge I got was a 56˚ as that was my touch wedge around the green. Worked well for me so I added a 50˚ a little later on.

Back