Jim Rice & Rickey Henderson Enter HOF

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats to both guys. Growing up I always looked at Rice as the most feared hitter in baseball and was surprised it took this long for him to go in. But glad he did.

Funny Rickey story. A family friend used to be J. Olerud's agent. He said Rickey came up to him later in his career and said "I used to play with a guy a few years back that wore that same helmut." Olerud turned to him and said "Hey Rickey, that was me.". Rickey was Rickey long before Manny was Manny.

JB, I thought I read that Olerud and Henderson had both said that story was not true, but they had wished they could say it was. Either way, Rickey Henderson stories crack me up. He used to be one of my favorite players when I was growing up.

I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on the radio this past Thursday, and I didn't catch who they were talking with, but he told a Rickey story where Ricky had been injured that year, so the guy talking had ended up with the most steals for the season. So, he receives a phone call from Rickey Henderson and he's expecting to be told congratulations. Instead, he hears this:

"60 stolen bases?! That's pathetic! Rickey would have had 60 by the break!"

*click*

• Admin
I have heard Rickey deny it, but not Olerud. It came from an agent, so we all know it has a 50/50 chance of being true...hehe

a few other Ricky being Ricky tales.....

There is a story that once a team called to ask why his signing bonus check - a very sizable one - hadn't been cashed. The team was concerned there was a problem. They called his agent - whose former job had been towel boy in the A's locker room - and were told that Henderson was waiting for the interest rates to go up before cashing it. Another has him taking his first million dollar check and framing it on the wall -- until the team called to tell him he had to cash it first.

Another Henderson goes that he once missed a game in August with frostbite because he left an ice pack on his foot too long.

check these out....
http://www.faniq.com/blog/The-25-Best-Rickey-Henderson-Stories-Of-All-Time-Blog-15243

Last edited:
Back