Mother Nature vs. the PGA Tour.

Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it just me or have you noticed how many rounds of golf on tour have been postponed or cancelled this season due to inclement weather? I've been watching televised golf for as long as I can remember and cannot think of a season where weather interfered more. Can you say "global warming?"

So, I guess the question is "Do you believe global warming is responsible for this wild weather or is it merely a coincidence?"

I believe as everyone should!

Sincerely,

Al Gore

:quiet: Trying very hard to not get sucked into a political debate. :D

You can say what you want about global warming, but weather patterns are definitely changing.

You can say what you want about global warming, but weather patterns are definitely changing.

Like they have since the beginning of time.

Spoiler
global-cooling.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,947122,00.html

Last edited:
Like they have since the beginning of time.

Spoiler
global-cooling.jpg

Well it's rather obvious that the politics of this are driving your viewpoint, but boy, this is one I wouldn't want to be wrong about. But if it gives us a chance to thumb our nose at Al Gore, what difference does it make, right?

We will not turn this into a political thread. Back on topic or posts will get deleted

The weather patterns have definitely change out west. Some of our western lakes are down so low, due to lack of snow melt, the fish are developing their own water proof sunscreen. As for global warming being the cause, not sure I can completely buy into that yet. Maybe 50/50. One of my many studies in school were about environmental, and storm water compliance issues. When we discussed global warming back in the early 1970s, at that time there was no concrete evidence available. Perhaps there is now. I do know we are polluting our potable water supply at a pretty good clip.:comp:

We will not turn this into a political thread. Back on topic or posts will get deleted

I thought I was being on topic since Johneli’s question was "Do you believe global warming is responsible for this wild weather or is it merely a coincidence?"

To directly answer the question, no I don’t believe man made global warming is causing this supposed wild weather or the PGA to postpone or cancel events.

You were AHH. No issues. Just saw a pattern we see here sometimes and wanted to keep this on topic.

You were AHH. No issues. Just saw a pattern we see here sometimes and wanted to keep this on topic.

Actually it was AHH who brought up Mr. Gore.

Anyhow, all of the unbiased science says man is causing this, at least to a great extent.

We are indeed partially to blame but it's China who literally pours polutants into the atmosphere to the point where the Chinese government is restricting automobile use and ownership. Isn't it interesting that instead of stemming the flow of polutants from factories they choose to limit their population's use of the automobile.......Geez does that sound to you like "we are going to be the number one producer of GDPs at any expense."

Anyhow, all of the unbiased science says man is causing this, at least to a great extent.

Actually no it was not. Read the thread again. It was thanks1974.

I intended no political discussion here. This topic can be discussed either scientifically or philosophically without having to get into the messy business of politics.

Here's a question: If not for global warming and a diminished ozone layer why are there so many more skin cancers then there were 20 years ago? (After population increases have been factored in.)

I think many factors can play a role in that Johneli. Tanning Salons, More people getting it checked out. More people tanning year round. More people living in sunny areas, etc...

I think many factors can play a role in that Johneli. Tanning Salons, More people getting it checked out. More people tanning year round. More people living in sunny areas, etc...

Well, whatever the reasons JB I'm getting sick and tired of cracking a beer on Sundays at 3pm, tuning into golf, and having to watch a tournament from ten years ago!

I intended no political discussion here. This topic can be discussed either scientifically or philosophically without having to get into the messy business of politics.

Well if you're talking the science of it, there is no discussion. The entire thing now is centered around politics. If Al Gore were telling us the world was cooling, the right would be screaming he was wrong and stood to gain from his investment in a geothermal heating company.

The science of the issue is clear.

Is it just me or have you noticed how many rounds of golf on tour have been postponed or cancelled this season due to inclement weather? I've been watching televised golf for as long as I can remember and cannot think of a season where weather interfered more. Can you say "global warming?"

So, I guess the question is "Do you believe global warming is responsible for this wild weather or is it merely a coincidence?"

Since I do not believe in "Global Warming", I would have to go with the coincidence angle.

Do you read these threads or just make up stuff as you go?

I do not know the answer to your question, but here is a piece of personal history. I was born in the very sunny desert, and have lived here all my life, with no issues so far. My wife was born in the Midwest. She has had a bout with skin cancer. Both of us have had far too many sun burns, and otherwise spend a great deal of time out of doors. My worst sunburn was one I received in Guam btw. Our doctor attributes a lot of skin cancers to folks who live in less sunny climates, or those who work indoors who get too much sun every so often, over a period of time. Also, he says he sees this type of cancer from those folks who live in sunny climates, who do not protect themselves very well from the sun. Light skinned folks suffer more so than dark skinned folks. He see more cancers on the top of the ears, the tip of the nose, below the knees, and below the elbows. He also says genetics play a roll in who does, or doesn't suffer from the various types of skin cancers. He also says that not all skin cancers are caused by the sun. (My brother has skin cancer which was caused by "agent orange" .) This is all stuff I have picked up attending seminars with my wife. :confused2:

Here's a question: If not for global warming and a diminished ozone layer why are there so many more skin cancers then there were 20 years ago? (After population increases have been factored in.)

Since I do not believe in "Global Warming", I would have to go with the coincidence angle.

Bingo!
Wow this is a tough topic to keep online yet avoid becoming political. I think global warming is a farce invented to further line the pockets of con artists.
The earth has gone thru many warming & cooling trends over hundreds of millions of years.

To even attempt to base any sort of global warming or climatic changes based on a lousy 100 or so years is ridiculous. We have had the coolest july on record here, I believe there have been 3,000 record low temps set here in the USA this month alone.

Bingo!
Wow this is a tough topic to keep online yet avoid becoming political. I think global warming is a farce invented to further line the pockets of con artists.

I could make so many comments about the past 8 years and using policy to further personal gain, but I'll take the high road...

I could make so many comments about the past 8 years and using policy to further personal gain, but I'll take the high road...

Not to mention that would be highly flammable political bait which is taboo here.

Not to mention that would be highly flammable political bait which is taboo here.

Which is why I didn't respond to your post on global warming. I almost started a thread on it - then quickly came to my senses.

No threads are taboo if they can be debated in the proper way. However it seems that certain subjects, as we have seen here recently, cannot be.

Back