TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I should add that the overlap at the top which requires me to pull a club also allows me to carry 4 wedges, which I prefer to do anyway. So it is all good.

I have two hybrids In my bag still which are the Rescue 11 #3 and #4.

No problems at all with gapping here, my RBladez 5 iron covers the 175-190 range, my 4 hybrid covers 190-210 and 3 hybrid covers 210-230.

Next club in my bag is then the RBZ 3 wood.

Very interesting input by everyone already.

I currently have a Mashie M3 and M4 in the bag and I will be curious to see if my gaps are still good once I put the RocketBladez in play, though I am pretty resigned to the fact that the M4 will likely get kicked out due to the increase in distance going to these irons from the weaker lofted PING G15s. If the numbers I was seeing on the launch monitors hold true in outside play, I am thinking that I may have to either try out an M2 or perhaps a RocketBallz or Rescue 11 3H (both have stronger lofts than the M3) to correctly gap out the top of the bag.

Anybody else had a chance to spend much time on a launch monitor with these irons? Specifically curious about what spin rates you may be seeing with the 5-7 irons.

Anybody else had a chance to spend much time on a launch monitor with these irons? Specifically curious about what spin rates you may be seeing with the 5-7 irons.

Sorry, but I haven't. I can try this weekend, although my normal shop is getting a bit tight with the Trackman machines so I may not be able to pull it off.

Sorry, but I haven't. I can try this weekend, although my normal shop is getting a bit tight with the Trackman machines so I may not be able to pull it off.

No worries man. Just something I'm curious about. Especially with how it relates to distance vs stopping performance.

No launch monitor easily accessible to me, I did post some indoor monitor numbers with a stock 6i here. The backspin numbers are hard to see, but it looks like 5000~ in the first shot and 4300~ in the second? Would be nice to see an average of 10+ shots...

No launch monitor easily accessible to me, I did post some indoor monitor numbers with a stock 6i here. The backspin numbers are hard to see, but it looks like 5000~ in the first shot and 4300~ in the second? Would be nice to see an average of 10+ shots...

That's actually pretty helpful. Thanks for posting. Higher there than what I'm seeing, though so many factors go into that, including the indian.

Here's what I saw yesterday with the 7 iron. Numbers were taken via Vector with an e6. Average of four balls that were all well struck.

Ball Speed - 111.5
Launch Angle - 21.2
Descent Angle - 41.95
Back Spin - 3,936
Side Spin - 176.5
Carry - 169.25
Dispersion - 7

So yea, my spin is quite low, however my ball height is really up there. No, I don't have the numbers for that, but it was in or slightly below that 30y range. With that height and the descent angle, I still think I have a pretty controlled shot into the green and I did see that when playing on the course.

Here's what I saw yesterday with the 7 iron. Numbers were taken via Vector with an e6. Average of four balls that were all well struck.

Ball Speed - 111.5
Launch Angle - 21.2
Descent Angle - 41.95
Back Spin - 3,936
Side Spin - 176.5
Carry - 169.25
Dispersion - 7

So yea, my spin is quite low, however my ball height is really up there. No, I don't have the numbers for that, but it was in or slightly below that 30y range. With that height and the descent angle, I still think I have a pretty controlled shot into the green and I did see that when playing on the course.

Hawk is that any longer than your 588 7 iron? I am liking those numbers for sure, maybe a bit more backspin, but otherwise solid

Ball Speed - 111.5
Launch Angle - 21.2
Descent Angle - 41.95
Back Spin - 3,936
Side Spin - 176.5
Carry - 169.25
Dispersion - 7

That was the problem I was seeing with these irons when I was trying them out. I was hitting a 6i and my back spin was like 1800-2200. Which is WAY low. I am usually in the 4000-5000 range with a 6i and carry about 180 or so. Granted I did carry the thing like 190 or 195 if I remember right but with so little back spin I would never hold a green.

I would like to check my numbers as I feel like I am getting quite a bit of spin with them vs. my previous clubs - or any other clubs I've tested for that matter. I know it's an inaccurate science with data, but I am pulling balls back with everything from my 7-PW, whereas I used to get them to check up after a bounce. Some of the backspin could be attributed to a little higher ball flight than I have before, but I'm not really hitting the lower irons that much higher than my previous irons.

I'll have to see if I can score some time on a lanch monitor to see what my 'bladez and KBS' are producing....

Hawk is that any longer than your 588 7 iron? I am liking those numbers for sure, maybe a bit more backspin, but otherwise solid

If I hit it pure, yes the distance is comparable, though my longest balls recently are with the RocketBladez. Difference of a few yards.

That was the problem I was seeing with these irons when I was trying them out. I was hitting a 6i and my back spin was like 1800-2200. Which is WAY low. I am usually in the 4000-5000 range with a 6i and carry about 180 or so. Granted I did carry the thing like 190 or 195 if I remember right but with so little back spin I would never hold a green.

Mine wasn't quite that low, but my 5 iron creeps into the high 2ks at times. I tend to think that what I saw on the course (I was able to hold greens) will ring true because they've spun low for me from the get-go. I think it's a trajectory thing.

I would like to check my numbers as I feel like I am getting quite a bit of spin with them vs. my previous clubs - or any other clubs I've tested for that matter. I know it's an inaccurate science with data, but I am pulling balls back with everything from my 7-PW, whereas I used to get them to check up after a bounce. Some of the backspin could be attributed to a little higher ball flight than I have before, but I'm not really hitting the lower irons that much higher than my previous irons.

I'll have to see if I can score some time on a lanch monitor to see what my 'bladez and KBS' are producing....

I wouldn't doubt that, stevie. You have a pretty high swing speed for those Tour 90's. Not that it's harming you in any way.

Mine wasn't quite that low, but my 5 iron creeps into the high 2ks at times. I tend to think that what I saw on the course (I was able to hold greens) will ring true because they've spun low for me from the get-go. I think it's a trajectory thing.

True. On the course it's probably a different story. I did try the 7i in MB and it was just as long as my irons then, but I put them both in the bunker so I wouldn't know if I could have held the green or not. And that was the only time I hit the irons all day. Just didn't like the feel or the sound of them.

True. On the course it's probably a different story. I did try the 7i in MB and it was just as long as my irons then, but I put them both in the bunker so I wouldn't know if I could have held the green or not. And that was the only time I hit the irons all day. Just didn't like the feel or the sound of them.

That's definitely understandable. Honestly, if was going on feel, looks, or some of the other intangibles, I'd prefer my old irons for sure. The forgiveness did prove useful in a few rounds though.

What were your launch numbers? Is it possible for trajectory to be high while also having low backspin numbers? Having seen the way these irons flight the ball I suspect backspin may be a less important number for holding greens than normal. Except when hitting into near frozen greens with a wind at my back I've not had problems holding greens at all, and don't recall that being an issue for anyone else either, so I just wonder.

What were your launch numbers? Is it possible for trajectory to be high while also having low backspin numbers? Having seen the way these irons flight the ball I suspect backspin may be a less important number for holding greens than normal. Except when hitting into near frozen greens with a wind at my back I've not had problems holding greens at all, and don't recall that being an issue for anyone else either, so I just wonder.

Depends on some other factors, but yes it is.

Yes you are right. But I was going off strictly numbers. Not on course experience. So to be honest I don't remember launch numbers but it is possible that backspin wouldn't matter much if trajectory is high enough and decent angle is steep it would be able to hold the green just fine.

Regardless, it's pretty interesting stuff. I'll see if I can get something similar from a non-slotted iron with more loft.

Regardless, it's pretty interesting stuff.
I agree completely. My question about backspin and loft was not rhetorical. This is new stuff for me...learning, learning, learning.

I'm not sure if anyone's addressed this subject in any detail yet, but it's something I'm curious about and very interested to work out for myself once my clubs arrive: is anyone seeing the need to now re-do the top of your bag because of the increased length in these irons?

The danger is there if you're replacing a more-traditional set with the same numbers. I dropped from 3-AW to 4-AW with this set, so I didn't get the gap between my longest iron and the hybrid I carry.

Tequila ..You live in Oregon ? There isn't a lot of firm fast greens this time of year is there? So maybe a lack backspin would be less of an issue holding greens there now.
gb

Tequila ..You live in Oregon ? There isn't a lot of firm fast greens this time of year is there? So maybe a lack backspin would be less of an issue holding greens there now.
gb

I've been picking my courses carefully to avoid the soaked ones, and very often playing 1st thing in the morning when they are just about frozen. That combo has tended to translate into firmer greens than you'd normally expect for Oregon this time of year, though I agree that aren't fast by a long shot. My impression has been that pitch marks are not noticeably deeper than summer. Still that's a fair point and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in the summer.

A good deal of my playing time was in late fall when it was really dry here. I still didn't see abnormal situations where I lost ball off the green, and I was testing a ball that really was about as anti-spin as they come.

Back