What do you play for?

roguepixel

Reaction score
Handicap
Me and another guy, in my group of golfing buddies, have a very friendly, yet, competitive rivalry. We love to talk trash to each other. Me, I'm a 17 handicap, he a bit worse than me. Anywho, we like to play for something.

In lieu of playing for money, we play for "The Crying Towel." A regular old, white terry cloth towel, with the words "The Crying Towel" written on them in red Sharpie. Also, the loser has to tee off with a pretty pink golf ball and play it through the first hole.

I do play 50 cents a hole with the guys from work (only 9-holes).

What do you folks play for?

We play for a couple of things, but usually the loser has to take the cart back to the cart barn after the round and we also play for the winner gets to drive the next round.

I play for myself. Even though I'm super competitive in everything else, I never feel the drive to want to beat the tar out of someone at golf. I'm basically competing with myself to make myself better, etc. Sole focus is on me and my game

I've got one guy that always wants to play for lunch, negotiating for strokes is always fun. Outside of that it's usually just for bragging rights and talking trash.

Many times it will be over lunch or 25 cents.Total a person can lose will be 5-8 bucks.

With other friends ,we play match play and the loser must play a lady IQ180 pink ball untill he wins a hole.No money,just the shame of playing a pink ball.

Other guys we do the same,but we have 2 trophy's involved that gets passed around.One for the winner and one for the loser. We all had a great time doing these little games.

A $5.00 nassau is pretty popular with our regular group. I just don't remember anyone ever collecting, or paying. We know how much we owe, or are owed from each other, but no money ever changes hands. If I wind up with someone I don't know, I am playing just for the heck of it, and for a good score. I once played a guy while on vacation for some decent money. It was a three round nassau. I thought at first he was a hustler, but he turned out to be just another vacationer with a game that was pretty even with mine. :comp:

Sometimes I have match play rounds with my friends for a buck. I beat him last time by 5 strokes over 9 holes. Or sometimes little tough shot bets.

We play for a raggity old black fitted nike visor that's so tight it cuts the circulation off to the brain..

We usually play for some pretty low stakes, .50 cents a point when playing games like Lone Wolf or Low Ball/Low Total, .25 cents a point when playing Vegas, and if we've usually got a $2 to $5 (max) snake out there as well. At the end of a great day you might pull in 6 or 7 bucks, bad days and you're usually shelling out around a 5 spot.

$1 for closest to the pin on par 3s

We usually play for some pretty low stakes, .50 cents a point when playing games like Lone Wolf or Low Ball/Low Total, .25 cents a point when playing Vegas, and if we've usually got a $2 to $5 (max) snake out there as well. At the end of a great day you might pull in 6 or 7 bucks, bad days and you're usually shelling out around a 5 spot.

I need to find better folks to play with...

Last time I played Wolf, it cost me $20 (but I did collect $5, only because I picked a good partner)

$2 nassau plus $1 for birdies $3 for eagles. If more than 2 players, typically $1 skins with the same for birdies and eagles. It's not about how much. It's about who has to dig into their pocket at the end of the round.

When I bet with people on golf, the wager is usually $1 per hole.

We used to play for an oversized golf ball that hangs from a keychain that you attach to your bag. The winner that day got it (A 'Traveling Trophy"). It has a tee sticking out of it's mouth and when you push on it it says things. I can't remember what though, because it doesn't work anymore!

Usually my friends and I play for bragging rights, but other times its $1 a hole, par or better, no carry over. Or before tournaments we'll play $5 a hole, birdie or better, no carry over.

We bet a lot, usually on a bucket. (In other words, who buys the bucket of balls at the driving range that we're going to share.) But that doesn't work great, since we roughly take turns buying the bucket anyway. So for our last bet (which was actually the Harrington v. Duval bet) we bet five buckets...I told Josh I'd make him a punch card.

Sometimes we play till the death, but that is pretty rare.:act-up: Besides the skins game I play in sometimes, Ill play my buddies for dinners or lunch.

Sometimes we play till the death, but that is pretty rare.:act-up: Besides the skins game I play in sometimes, Ill play my buddies for dinners or lunch.

So far you're doing pretty well in those death matches, I have to guess you're undefeated right Gas?

Back