Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what it sounds like TGM.

Looks like Lee to the Phillies is going down right now.

You jsut beat me to it TGM. It is official.

Jack Wilson and Snell traded to Mariners for 5 players.

Why don't teams just do what the Royals do? Take a shortstop who can't hit, and turn him into a pitcher?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1347413.html

After watching shortstop Tony Peña Jr. struggle at the plate for almost three years, it looks as if the Royals are now ready to see what he can do on the mound.

Manager Trey Hillman said Peña, who recently cleared waivers, threw a bullpen session under the watchful eye of pitching coach Bob McClure on Friday and will soon report to Surprise, Ariz., to work on becoming a pitcher.

“We’re looking at converting him,” said Hillman, who added that he sees Peña as a possible reliever.

Peña, 28, wouldn’t discuss the move — “I’m just here to work out,” he said before Sunday’s game — but Hillman said Peña is on board with the decision.

“He’s all for it right now, to at least take a look at it and see where it goes,” Hillman said.

During his time in Kansas City, Peña has been solid defensively but struggled at the plate. After hitting .267 as a full-time starter in 2007, Peña hit .169 in 225 at-bats in 2008 and was hitting .098 in 51 at-bats this year before he was designated for assignment July 16.

However, Peña showed the Royals something when he pitched the ninth inning of the Royals’ 19-4 loss to Detroit last July. Peña, who throws three pitches, sat the Tigers down 1-2-3 and punctuated the inning by striking out Ivan Rodriguez.

“I saw touch and feel, and I saw a lack of fear (from him), even though the situation didn’t promote a lot of fear,” Hillman said. “He’s got the ability to throw from different arm angles, he’s got life to his fastball, and he showed in the strikeout of Pudge the ability to spin the ball.”

Peña has a long road ahead of him, but plenty of players have successfully made the switch from position player to pitcher. One of them is 38-year-old lefty Ron Mahay, who was converted to a pitcher by Boston in 1996 after being drafted in 1991 as an outfielder.

Mahay said it took him a while to get rid of his inner outfielder. But now, 13 years later, he is happy with the switch.

“I was fortunate that the team I was with at the time gave me another chance, and I told him that he’s fortunate that this club gave (him) a second chance.”

Hillman wouldn’t put a timeline on how long it would take for Peña to become a big-league pitcher but added that the move doesn’t necessarily mean Peña’s career as a shortstop is over for good.

“Tony is still young enough that if the pitching doesn’t go the way that we think it has a possibility of going … he can always go back the other way,” Hillman said.

Jack Wilson and Snell traded to Mariners for 5 players.

Wow, I wonder if that means they havent given up yet. They were talking fire sale yesterday.

It appears the Bedard injury is not serious and they think they can make a run.

Great trade for the Phillies, get a cy young winner without giving up a top prospect, unreal!!!! Yes I am a bitter Indians fan.:at-wits-end:

Looks like the Bucs are going to trade Freddy Sanchez to the Giants.

Can somebody please beat the Angels. Please.

After Broxton blew another save last night, Im pretty sure the Dodgers make a move for Sherrill today. Broxton needs to go on the DL.

Great trade for the Phillies, get a cy young winner without giving up a top prospect, unreal!!!! Yes I am a bitter Indians fan.:at-wits-end:

Farm- I think CPD needs to issue a warrant out for the arrest of the Phillies' GM because he absolutely stole Lee from you guys. Yay for us though. Also, supposedly the Phils are still looking at Halladay for an obvious lower price now. Toronto screwed the pooch on this one....

I dont think Toronto was convinced they wanted to trade him right now. I think that next year he holds the same value for teams. Even moreso because they can rent him short term.

Farm- I think CPD needs to issue a warrant out for the arrest of the Phillies' GM because he absolutely stole Lee from you guys. Yay for us though. Also, supposedly the Phils are still looking at Halladay for an obvious lower price now. Toronto screwed the pooch on this one....

I cant believe Amaro pulled it off without giving up Happ or Drabek. It seemed like they would have to give up one of them.

There are reports going around that Ortiz tested positive in 2003 along with Manny and A-Rod.

There are reports going around that Ortiz tested positive in 2003 along with Manny and A-Rod.

no surprise at all.

This slow trickling of names being released is getting ridiculous. They need to just release them all and get over this already. Pappis name being on there is a major bummer.

Agreed TGM. It really goes back to this was a confidential test. Either release them all, or release none. This trickling makes it worse for the sport.

Agreed TGM. It really goes back to this was a confidential test. Either release them all, or release none. This trickling makes it worse for the sport.

Agreed, the whole confidential thing bugs me. I would feel violated.

Looks like George Sherrill to the Dodgers is about to go down.

Here is the article with Oritz
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-ortiz-ramirez-druglist&prov=ap&type=lgns
NEW YORK (AP)—Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz(notes) became the latest star implicated in baseball’s ever-growing drug scandal, acknowledging Thursday that the players’ union confirmed he tested positive in 2003.

Shortly after hitting the go-ahead home run that beat Oakland 8-5, Ortiz responded to a story on The New York Times’ Web site that he and former teammate Manny Ramirez(notes) tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs six years ago.

“I’ve just been told that the report is true,” Ortiz said in a statement after contacting the union. “Based on the way I lived my life I’m surprised to learn I tested positive.”

The popular Big Papi, who had never been linked to drugs, said he intended to find out what was in his system and would tell the Red Sox and the public.

“You know me—I will not hide and I will not make excuses,” he said.

Alex Rodriguez(notes), Barry Bonds(notes), Roger Clemens(notes) and Sammy Sosa(notes) are among the many All-Stars tainted by the drug cloud, which has called into question some of the sport’s greatest achievements over the last two decades.

Ortiz and Ramirez led the Red Sox to the World Series title in 2004—their first in 86 years—and another championship in 2007.

Ramirez, now with the Los Angeles Dodgers, recently served a 50-game suspension for violating baseball’s drug policy. Asked about this second alleged doping violation, he told reporters in St. Louis: “You want more information, I’m pretty sure you guys got the phone number to the union. Call the union, and they can explain that to you guys.”

More than 100 major leaguers tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003—the results were supposed to be anonymous and are now under court seal.

“Precisely for that reason, the Players Association will not, indeed cannot, comment on whether the information is accurate,” union leader Donald Fehr said.

The Times’ story cited lawyers involved in pending litigation over the testing results who spoke anonymously because the information is under seal by a court order. The newspaper did not say what the players tested positive for.

The results from the 2003 tests were supposed to remain anonymous but were seized by federal agents. Rodriguez admitted using performance-enhancing drugs after he was linked to the 2003 list. And in June, The Times reported Sosa also was on the 2003 list.

Ramirez was a long-established star in 2003. Ortiz, in contrast, had been a part-time player before that season.

Ortiz had never hit more than 20 homers in a season as a part-time player in Minnesota early in his career. He came to Boston as a platoon player in 2003 and had four homers by July 1, then hit 27 the rest of the year.

Ortiz followed up with seasons of 41, 47 and 54 home runs as he established himself as one of the best sluggers in the game.

Last year, he dipped to 23 home runs, and his slump continued this season. He went into Thursday’s game hitting .224 with only 13 homers.

Ramirez returned from his suspension this month and quickly re-established his presence in the middle of the lineup for the NL West-leading Dodgers.

Boos have rained down on Ramirez throughout this week’s series in St. Louis whenever he comes to the plate or touches the ball.

“He’s a great player and I don’t think the suspension has anything to do with it,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “Personally, if he never got suspended they’d still be booing the hell out of him.”

“I think the reception would have been the same. Some people hate the long hair or whatever it is, or the fact he’s a free spirit,” he said.

Boos have rained down on Ramirez throughout this week’s series in St. Louis whenever he comes to the plate or touches the ball.

“He’s a great player and I don’t think the suspension has anything to do with it,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “Personally, if he never got suspended they’d still be booing the hell out of him.”

“I think the reception would have been the same. Some people hate the long hair or whatever it is, or the fact he’s a free spirit,” he said.

I'm a Joe Torre fan, but I'm calling B.S. on that. Torre was a player and a manager in St. Louis - he knows the fans aren't like that.

Manny got booed in St. Louis because he's a cheater and a selfish prick.

I agree 100% Harry.

he Mariners have traded left-handed pitcher Jarrod Washburn to the Detroit Tigers for rookie left-hander Luke French and pitching prospect Mauricio Robles.

I'm a Joe Torre fan, but I'm calling B.S. on that. Torre was a player and a manager in St. Louis - he knows the fans aren't like that.

Manny got booed in St. Louis because he's a cheater and a selfish prick.

:clapp: totally agree Harry

I think part of the problem is that sports fans sometimes believe these "expert commentators" actually know what they are talking about. Some do, most don't. All they are doing is playing a guessing game for ratings. If it is important enough to know how things are going, you need to dig up your own stats, and information, and go with that. :comp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back