BigLeftyinAZ

Reaction score
So far I'm the leading candidate to become the head coach of the girls high school golf team.

Is a coach just a baby sitter or do you think the girls would be willing to listen to what I have to offer?

It depends on the skill level, and interest in the game.

If you have some girls who are serious about t he sport and want to compete, they will listen to what you have to say.

On the other hand, if they are just a couple of girls wanting to start the game, and join the golf team to get on that path, that may be a different story.

First thing is to try and keep the boyfriends away during practice, and tournaments :banghead:

If you can pass your knowledge on to them, making them better golfers, while also making the learning process fun, you will earn their respect. Respect is a two way street.

As for being a baby sitter, I kind of think that goes with the job to a certain extent. I know when I was coaching young ladies in softball, I was more than just a coach on many occasions. You are responsible for these young ladies while they are under your supervision in more ways than just golf. :comp:

Different states require different criteria. Some require a Class A I believe. Some require you to also teach a class and have a teaching certification.

Different states require different criteria. Some require a Class A I believe. Some require you to also teach a class and have a teaching certification.

This wan't part of the question. I know what's required,I wouldn't be this far into it,if I didn't know..

Reactions: JB
This wan't part of the question. I know what's required,I wouldn't be this far into it,if I didn't know..

Since you want to be that way about it. Nope Never mind, i will keep it off the boards.

Lefty - Based on the little I know of you from your posts - I'd have to say "no" - these girls won't listen to you. Why would they? If you speak to them the way you speak to us, they're not going to like you. I think you should turn the postion down.

:rofl::rofl:
Lefty - Based on the little I know of you from your posts - I'd have to say "no" - these girls won't listen to you. Why would they? If you speak to them the way you speak to us, they're not going to like you. I think you should turn the postion down.

:clapp: :rofl:

So far I'm the leading candidate to become the head coach of the girls high school golf team.

Is a coach just a baby sitter or do you think the girls would be willing to listen to what I have to offer?

If you want to do it then give it a shot. I think just the experience of coaching would be rewarding. I think that if the girls join the team they would be serious about it. It could be a blast.

If you speak to them the way you speak to us, they're not going to like you. I think you should turn the postion down.

I gotta go with Diane on this one Lefty. You may very well have a wealth of information to offer (and honestly, I think you do), but your delivery needs a lot of work. Are you going to tell the girls "Do it this way, because I said so," or are you going to say "I would suggest doing this because (and then explain your reason)." Kinda like making a post and expecting us to believe it and/or accept it blindly, instead of simply providing the source. And making it easy to find the source, not go on a scavenger hunt (like posting a link to another link). Are you going to throw the hammer down when they ask you "Why?" or are you going to be able to explain it to them without making them feel like they want to crawl into a hole?

People seem to forget you can't read expressions into typing. I'm short with answers cause I hate to type a whole story.For me it's harder to express ones self via typing.Some do a better job,obviously then I do typing.When you speak in person,everything is different,you see facial expressions and so forth.Hope you see where I'm coming from.

I gotta go with Diane on this one Lefty. You may very well have a wealth of information to offer (and honestly, I think you do), but your delivery needs a lot of work. Are you going to tell the girls "Do it this way, because I said so," or are you going to say "I would suggest doing this because (and then explain your reason)." Kinda like making a post and expecting us to believe it and/or accept it blindly, instead of simply providing the source. And making it easy to find the source, not go on a scavenger hunt (like posting a link to another link). Are you going to throw the hammer down when they ask you "Why?" or are you going to be able to explain it to them without making them feel like they want to crawl into a hole?

I don't take the Do it my way or the highway approach.If people don't understand my approach then I try to find a way for them to understand.It's easier to explain things via personal contact then Typing,isn't it?

I understand I'll have to find a way to make practice fun.While tying to explain my approach to the game.I'm sure it won't be easy at first,but I think it will be fun to try.

I know what's it was like playing High school golf,I also understand what it's like to be good when younger and think your **** don't stink attitude.I wish someone would have taught me the things I learned latter on in life about the game.I reached the rankings of 76th best Jr golfer in the state of Cali and was also ranked 134th in the usa,but I was hitting a wall and couldn't break through.Found a teacher after college who really transformed my game.That's what I'd like to share,how to obtain the next level. I also understand some hate to practice certain things and I'll have to find a way to turn it into a game and fun.

Last edited:
People seem to forget you can't read expressions into typing. I'm short with answers cause I hate to type a whole story.For me it's harder to express ones self via typing.Some do a better job,obviously then I do typing.When you speak in person,everything is different,you see facial expressions and so forth.Hope you see where I'm coming from.

I do and was thinking that maybe your response read louder than it was intended. don't sweat it Big L. I think you should go for that coaching job. No one on a forum knows anyone well enough to be judging.

If you want to do it then give it a shot. I think just the experience of coaching would be rewarding. I think that if the girls join the team they would be serious about it. It could be a blast.

That's what I'm unsure about.I'm sure some are there because they are already good and love the game.Some might be there just cause their parents say so.

I'm sure it will be a challenge ,but rewarding at the same time.I've worked with a few high school boys in the past,unsure what it's like to work with the girls.I hope very similar?

That's what I'm unsure about.I'm sure some are there because they are already good and love the game.Some might be there just cause their parents say so.

All Girls' HS golf teams are not equal. I have two friends who have daughters who play for their teams. Both were sophmores this year and both shoot about 50 on average for 9 holes. They are ranked 2 and 3 on the team. This is CT though and the girls only play part of the year. My guess is that in AZ the girls will be better players.

All Girls' HS golf teams are not equal. I have two friends who have daughters who play for their teams. Both were sophmores this year and both shoot about 50 on average for 9 holes. They are ranked 2 and 3 on the team. This is CT though and the girls only play part of the year. My guess is that in AZ the girls will be better players.

That is the beauty of it Diane. It should not matter. High school kids should play activities to have fun!!!!!

Since you want to be that way about it. Nope Never mind, i will keep it off the boards.

I don't see how this was being rude? Just stating that I knew what the requirements I needed and obviously I have them or I couldn't pursue this position.I now see where you might have benn coming from.
Plus , That wasn't my question.I was baffled by your response,because I thought,I would have gotten a great answer to my question from you.

I remember my high school coach very well and we still talk 20 plus yrs later.He was just a baby sitter and nothing more.We all practice together,but our own way.

I think it would have been fun to practice as a team,having many competitions with each other.Either on the driving range or chipping and putting.

I want to incorporate that into the teams practice .Make it fun while practicing all the things they will need on the course.

the talent will range all over the place.I remember reading all the scores from the local high schools when I first moved here.

I'll try and make it fun for them while hoping for them to improve while having fun.That's one of the main reasons for playing this game.It's no fun if we are not enjoying ourselves.
I also see how and why I cant play favoritism with the better players.Must treat all equally and with respect.
You have to get kids to be positive about themselves or the worst could happen like quitting.
This is a game for fun with friendly competition.Golf is a solo sport,but we must also play like a team because we are a team.

I can't answer your question Lefty, but if you're thinking girls and golf team, then use the Solheim Cup to your advantage--record it, have them do some of those competitions, let Morgan Pressel be their role model, etc. etc.

I can't answer your question Lefty, but if you're thinking girls and golf team, then use the Solheim Cup to your advantage--record it, have them do some of those competitions, let Morgan Pressel be their role model, etc. etc.

Sounds like an idea.Season doesn't start till next February,Only if I'm picked.Did have my third interview today and I think it went well.

I think it will be fun and I'm sure it will be a challenge.I hope I'm up for what's in store for myself.

Better have backup drivers when they model after her and chuck clubs, slam clubs, and break drivers during rounds.

Better have backup drivers when they model after her and chuck clubs, slam clubs, and break drivers during rounds.

Same could be said about Tiger,no? Except the breaking clubs thing.Unsure if he has ever done that?

Sounds like an idea.Season doesn't start till next February,Only if I'm picked.Did have my third interview today and I think it went well.

I think it will be fun and I'm sure it will be a challenge.I hope I'm up for what's in store for myself.

Hope you get it. Them girl's would be lucky to get someone with all your skillz. Good Luck Big L!

Coming from someone who has a daughter that is very excited at the opportunity to play school golf, I say go for it.
I had a "baby-sitter" that coached my high school golf team and it was a huge let-down. I had been a very good junior golfer, carrying a single digit hdcp, at age 13 while playing with my father's men's club on most days, during the summer. I walked away from golf for tow years and got back into it for high school, hoping to land a college scholarship, perhaps.
I had some struggles, as to be expected, but my "coach" was absolutely no help, whatsoever. He was simply a chaperone who catered to the #1 guy on the team and rode the natural talent of his team to several state championships. I played every match, both my junior and senior years, except the state tournament. There was a wall I hit that I just couldn't get past, and with only basic knowledge of my own swing, I had no where to turn for help.
BigLefty, if you have a solid game and can teach from a point of ability, I think that your students will listen. I wish you all of the best and can't wait to hear how it goes for you.
What high school are you working with, if you can share?
Thanks for offering your input to the golfers of tomorrow. I hope it all goes well.
LaMont in AZ

Back