Drinking while playing

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I know this has been discussed over and over and over but I have a different twist to this "question". A couple weeks ago I played in my company golf outing. I usually don't drink while I play golf. In the past I've had a beer or two while playing but they were pretty spaced out. This year I played and rode with a guy that was drinking quite a bit and I found myself drinking right along with him. In the past I played with guys that didn't drink. Do you find yourself drinking more while playing if your partner is drinking more too? Between the 2 of us we put down a 12 pack. I know that's nothing compared to some people but that's more than I've drank in a long time. I also got a lashing from the wife when I got home and she found out how much I had drank.

I do not drink while I golf. For some reason it just does nothing for me. If others want to, it does not bother me one bit. I am constantly thirsty in the FL heat and I have a feeling if I was drinking I would be whiffing an awful lot.

I just experienced exactly the same thing. I usually walk and don’t drink alcohol while playing but occasionally I’ll drink a couple of beers in a round. A couple of weeks ago I played with three guys from work one afternoon and my cart mate and I put down seven apiece. I never drink that much. One of us just seemed to always be asking if the other was ready for another.

There are some days where I feel like knocking a few back while playing, but most of the times I stick with water or a Pepsi.

I do not drink while I golf. For some reason it just does nothing for me. If others want to, it does not bother me one bit. I am constantly thirsty in the FL heat and I have a feeling if I was drinking I would be whiffing an awful lot.

What I found funny was neither of us were drunk and weren't playing better or worse. I was mixing water and gatorade/powerade along with the beer.

I just experienced exactly the same thing. I usually walk and don’t drink alcohol while playing but occasionally I’ll drink a couple of beers in a round. A couple of weeks ago I played with three guys from work one afternoon and my cart mate and I put down seven apiece. I never drink that much. One of us just seemed to always be asking if the other was ready for another.

That's the way it was with us. We both seemed to be finishing off about the same time. It's a good thing that the beer girl stopped coming past us or we would have probably drank more.

If the right situation presents itself, I will have a beer or two. In fact except for some wine, that is all I drink when it comes to beverages with alcohol. I think where drinking becomes a problem is not so much on the golf course, but with those folks who drive home afterwards. I know for a fact if the police set up a sobriety check point at the entrance/exit at my home course, a lot of folks would be going to jail for DUI. :comp:

Then there's the person you are golfing with who you don't know who asked if I am cop. When I say "no", he/she lights up a joint, and proceeds to party on down the golf course. :cool:

Rarely do I drink unless I'm playing with a vendor who is paying for me. In that case it's a 2 beer maximum. Traditionally I just drink water or Gatorade

:D
...Then there's the person you are golfing with who you don't know who asked if I am cop. When I say "no", he/she lights up a joint, and proceeds to party on down the golf course. :cool:

Classic! You could have always yelled, “You didn’t ask if I was a prosecutor”. :D

Depends on time of day and who I'm with, but we frequently have some. Having a few truly does loosen me up (therapist advised me to, off the record last year!) and I think helps me "think less", thus usually play more relaxed and actually better.
No worrying and trying to focus on every little aspect of what I could be doing better or changing, make sense?

I'm not opposed to it, but typically I stick to water. I will say that I played 36 holes a while ago, stopped at the clubhouse inbetween 18's, polished off three beers and preceded to shoot the best round of my life.. Perhaps I should do this more often? :)

I think the reason it isn't a constant for me is that the effect of alcohol varies and thus can do just the opposite of my intent :)

Depends on time of day and who I'm with, but we frequently have some. Having a few truly does loosen me up (therapist advised me to, off the record last year!) and I think helps me "think less", thus usually play more relaxed and actually better.
No worrying and trying to focus on every little aspect of what I could be doing better or changing, make sense?

That makes perfect sense Scooter, I've noticed that in my game as well. Just a couple max though, there is a fine line to where suddenly instead of relaxing you it just causes you to play like a damn fool.

I dont drink while playing golf no matter how much the people Im playing with drink. Last Saturday I played in a work golf outing and the other 3 people in my group were doing A LOT of drinking. Just to give you an idea, they brought a 30-pack and ran out of beer by hole #14.
I didnt drink at all during the round. I wont drink while out on the course. I take my game too seriously to dull my senses and judgement with alchohol.
After the round, by all means will I have a beer or 2 in the clubhouse but never, ever during the round.

I try not to drink while I'm playing. I have a bad enough time sober.Another thing is the guys I play with want you to go in on a 6-pack and the way I drink I get 1 to their 5.So I just opt out.

I won't be helpful since I do not drink on the course or off. I can understand 1 or 2,but more then that,I'm unsure how your game will go.When you drank more then your usual did your game suffer?

That makes perfect sense Scooter, I've noticed that in my game as well. Just a couple max though, there is a fine line to where suddenly instead of relaxing you it just causes you to play like a damn fool.

Oh yes, I've crossed that line many times:banghead:

I haven't had a drink at all since February so this year I haven't drank on the course at all. I used to sometimes have one at the turn if it's really hot out, and after that go back to water.

My last couple of golfing vacations to Scottsdale though, more often than not we drank during the round. I am not sure but I probably had four to six a round, and we played in the mornings!

Ive played golf with people who swore that having a few drinks helped to settle their nerves and smooth out their golfswing.
IMO though, there is a fine line between having a few beers to help you relax and getting stupid drunk.

I am not a big drinker, you could count on one hand the drinks I have had in the last 10 years. In the last couple of months, I have had one beer on the back nine twice. One beer makes me goofy, so I quit doing it. It was just so hot and cold beer sounded so good and I was playing so bad, that is seemed like a good idea. NOT!

I had a buddy that drank beer from the first tee to the 18th green and could easily go through a 24 pack. He never even seemed tipsy. He truly had a problem and it cost him his life eventually.

image.php

Hmmm, what kind of cookies?

I won't be helpful since I do not drink on the course or off. I can understand 1 or 2,but more then that,I'm unsure how your game will go.When you drank more then your usual did your game suffer?

Actually my game was still just as bad. :sad: I wasn't drunk to the point where I was falling over or a hazard to myself or anyone else on the course. I'm sure if I took a b.a.c test then I may have been close but for a big guy 5'11" 260 pounds those 6 beers didn't do much. I also wasn't shotgunning them one after another. I was "chasing" them with water and Powerade most of the time. Plus a had a pretty good sized breakfast before heading to the course and then snacked most of the round on goodies and lunch.

I always tend to have beer on the course. It's a habit from the dynamic of my regular group I played with before I moved. I was the youngest and only female and the age ranges went up around 65 year old war veterans. Those guys were drinking fine scotch out of special cups. Do have to say some of the most fun i had after those rounds is when they took us all up to the VFW after and bought us more beer. Pretty sure ive now two-stepped with every war veteran in that small county. Talking about it makes me miss them a lot!

I always tend to have beer on the course. It's a habit from the dynamic of my regular group I played with before I moved. I was the youngest and only female and the age ranges went up around 65 year old war veterans. Those guys were drinking fine scotch out of special cups. Do have to say some of the most fun i had after those rounds is when they took us all up to the VFW after and bought us more beer. Pretty sure ive now two-stepped with every war veteran in that small county. Talking about it makes me miss them a lot!

Very cool. I'm sure you made their days.

But what about medicinal marijuana?

Back