The Home Renovation Thread

My wife and I are starting to meet with people this week to talk about kitchen renovations. Some of them are already trying to upsell us on things. I have a pit in my stomach that things aren't going to go well.

Yeah man, We have a finished basement with a storage area which is where the water comes from. It's a nightmare. Thankfully we put all our stuff in rubbermaid containers 2 days before we had water the first time. Good luck!

I knew that we would have problems when all of the storage space was on pallets lol. Stupid water.

My wife and I are starting to meet with people this week to talk about kitchen renovations. Some of them are already trying to upsell us on things. I have a pit in my stomach that things aren't going to go well.

Good luck with it, ary.

My friends father does it for a living. I have talked with him a few times about it before. He told me to make sure you go in with a plan and pick out what you want. Don't let them talk you into what they want. Layout and things are different but appliances and materials are things you can control and help control the cost.

In our case, it's on the two walls that take in water. It feeds to a sump and out the house. There's cheaper ways to do it than this with standard drain tile, but I wanted a little peace of mind, so I spent a little more.

Makes sense, I don't doubt it one bit.

Once I close on my house at the end of march, i have a few walls to paint and I really want to replace the kitchen/dining linoleum with Tile. I will probably do it my self but have been looking into putting some heating pads down for to heat it :D. Anyone have experience with this?

Just make sure you don't screw it up or you'll be pulling up all your hard work to fix it :D

Just make sure you don't screw it up or you'll be pulling up all your hard work to fix it :D

I will be putting in my research before hand.. I am sure i will mess something up along the lines

Once I close on my house at the end of march, i have a few walls to paint and I really want to replace the kitchen/dining linoleum with Tile. I will probably do it my self but have been looking into putting some heating pads down for to heat it :D. Anyone have experience with this?
I help put this in my father in laws new bathroom. He bought the type that you just roll out and cut to spec. It's very easy to do and the tile floor stays nice and warm.

I help put this in my father in laws new bathroom. He bought the type that you just roll out and cut to spec. It's very easy to do and the tile floor stays nice and warm.

That is what I think I am going to do. Seems like the cost is worth it, especially if you do it yourself.

That is what I think I am going to do. Seems like the cost is worth it, especially if you do it yourself.
Yeah we put it all in and he knows an electrician. The electrician wired the heater to a thermostat on the wall .I'm not sure i would tackle that part myself but I know very little about electric stuff. We also put all the tile down. It's no big deal either. I would rent a good tile saw If you don't have one. That saved us a ton of time. Good luck with it!

Yeah we put it all in and he knows an electrician. The electrician wired the heater to a thermostat on the wall .I'm not sure i would tackle that part myself but I know very little about electric stuff. We also put all the tile down. It's no big deal either. I would rent a good tile saw If you don't have one. That saved us a ton of time. Good luck with it!

Perfect. The wiring will be done by an electrician and I am going to rent a wet saw to do it all.

Perfect. The wiring will be done by an electrician and I am going to rent a wet saw to do it all.
You will have no trouble at all then. That was the first time we done any tile. You will be a pro at it in about 30 mins. Good luck!

My friends father does it for a living. I have talked with him a few times about it before. He told me to make sure you go in with a plan and pick out what you want. Don't let them talk you into what they want. Layout and things are different but appliances and materials are things you can control and help control the cost.

That's good advice. We're going to control the costs somewhat by going mid-range on both the countertops and the appliances. The bigger priority is getting more functional storage and a better flow to the kitchen with the dining room and living room.

If you have questions you can't contact me, I have put in several.

:bulgy-eyes:

You know, for the price of what it will cost you to rent a wet saw, you can buy a pretty decent one at Home Depot. I put a full bath in my basement over the summer, hell of a lot of tile involved. I think it cost me $80 to buy the saw and it has the advantage of if you for whatever reason don't feel like tiling one day, or if something comes up where you can't you don't feel guilty about blowing a day's rental fee.

I did put in one of the heated floors in there and it was fairly easy and not overly expensive.

Wet saw cost us about $45 for the weekend. Be sure you know what size tile you are laying before you go rent one. The bigger the tile, the bigger the blade/deck needs to be.

You know, for the price of what it will cost you to rent a wet saw, you can buy a pretty decent one at Home Depot. I put a full bath in my basement over the summer, hell of a lot of tile involved. I think it cost me $80 to buy the saw and it has the advantage of if you for whatever reason don't feel like tiling one day, or if something comes up where you can't you don't feel guilty about blowing a day's rental fee.

I did put in one of the heated floors in there and it was fairly easy and not overly expensive.

is the saw decent quality though? I have read that the price for a cheap one isn't worth the price to rent a quality one but that may depend on the brand as well.

I would say rent is your best option unless your going to do several jobs with it. Typically the wet saws for rent are professional quality and can handle up to the 16 x16 tile. The cheap ones as HD are just that cheap. And te pumps go out in a few hours.

is the saw decent quality though? I have read that the price for a cheap one isn't worth the price to rent a quality one but that may depend on the brand as well.

I cut over 1200 tiles with it and it still is going strong. Nice straight cuts, no chipping. Now if I were going to be laying flagstones or do a brick patio outside I would definatley go with one of the big rental saws

I have this one works great appox. $400.00 mk diamond cuts up to 14" tile diag.buy one and then resell when done. only thing is dont use inside water gets every where and make sure pump stays submereged. tiling can be fun just take your time and plan ahead..jmo.
5262762eb35d35778d9cfaa3b07e4577.jpg

My fiance and I are looking for houses, but living in Southern California it is looking a bit pricey for our budget. Is there anyone that knows of a good resource to locate foreclosed and short sale properties or a way to do so? Don't necessarily need a shortcut or get rich quick thing, just a solid method and/or what type of people to contact.

My fiance and I are looking for houses, but living in Southern California it is looking a bit pricey for our budget. Is there anyone that knows of a good resource to locate foreclosed and short sale properties or a way to do so? Don't necessarily need a shortcut or get rich quick thing, just a solid method and/or what type of people to contact.

Usually through your city hall.Be carefull you can be opening a big can of worms with these deals buyer beware..

Back