Where do you do most of your golf equipment shopping?

jlukes

Reaction score
Wanted to start a thread to see where THPers do most of their golf research, equipment testing/fitting, and purchasing.

Research: First and foremost THP, nothing better than the feedback from actual people. I also like going to youtube and watching random video reviews of equipment I'm pondering.

Testing/fitting: I do almost all of mine at Golf Galaxy in Oxford valley, Pennsylvania. They have a great selection of clubs and their staff is great. Their General Manager, Dan, is extremely knowledgeable about pretty much every product in the store. I've had numerous demo and fitting sessions their and have had nothing but positive experiences. I've never felt pressured to buy anything.

Purchasing: I get almost all of my new stuff at the Golf Galaxy that I mentioned above. I also like to use amazon.com if I have gift cards. If I am looking for used balls, I use Lostgolfballs.com and for used equipment I'll stick to THP or Craigslist. Don't have complete faith in eBay, but I know there are some great deals to be had.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I shop at my local Golftown and craigslist. Most of the guys there are great and the selection is huge, and a couple times a year they have great sales. I have never developed a comfort with ebay so I avoid it.

Thp marketplace

Good topic for a newbie to the forum! I am in Connecticut and have purchased my irons and driver through Dicks Sporting Goods. The routine purchases of balls and tees I usually purchase where I can find a deal, Golfers Warehouse, Dicks Sporting Goods, Target, Wal-mart, pretty much anywhere as long as they are authentic materials. I do most of my testing and fitting with my golf instructor who happens to work at Dicks Sporting Goods but he has purchased shafts for me through his instructor network that is tied in with the PGA manufacturers....so that is a pretty good deal! I don't trust anything online as there is so much counterfeit equipment that is available..If I am going to put hard earned money and time into my game I need to make sure my equipment is up to snuff. Very interested to see where everyone else shops!

Research : THP, Golf Digest web sites and manufacturer web sites for detailed specs. I do a TON of research before buying most stuff, probably excessively so.

Testing/fitting: I always try to see something in person before buying it online. Best place is a nearby Golfer's Warehouse, they stock tons of brands and have everything out to hit. Lots of bays with launch monitors. I was fitted by GolfTEC recently and absolutely recommend it for others.

Purchases: Mostly online, various sellers. In-person purchases at the GW mentioned above and a nearby Dick's when they have stuff on sale. I rarely use eBay but you can get good deals there if you're careful and patient.

PS: Hey jlukes, I grew up in NE Philadelphia and know exactly where Oxford Valley is. I presume the big mall is still there?

PS: Hey jlukes, I grew up in NE Philadelphia and know exactly where Oxford Valley is. I presume the big mall is still there?

Yup! Heading there today actually!

Research: THP and OE websites.

Testing and Fitting: Big Box stores if they have what I want to try. THP Demo Day in May. Also trial and error. I know my game pretty well and can usually get pretty close based on what what I read and research.

Purchases: Depends on what I'm getting but mainly online retail shops. Some small stuff I will pick up in store. I shop around and wait on a deal. There is very little that I have to have right away. I have let a few good deals get away mainly because I don't pay attention all the time. I do use ebay on a fairly regular basis, and have had a pretty good level of success on getting deals because I can be patient on there.

I just buy whatever gets a gold medal in the hotlist

Research: Youtube, THP (of course), retail sites, and online reviews

Testing: My country club or Golf Galaxy. Maybe Dicks

Buying: My country club or eBay. I've had only positive experienced with eBay almost every time

I buy from Golfsmith and discount golf when online. Both have had great service.

Research: THP, other golf forums and websites.
Testing: Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith for initial testing to narrow the list (or a local store that has demos they allow you to take to the course)
Final decision/Fitting: Demo day or a Fitting Center fitting; usually demo day for irons (based on feel and looks) and Fitting Center for woods (I like to see the numbers)
Buying: Online only. Blind 9 was used a lot last year, but I have a few others that have good customer service that I check with as well. Whoever is cheapest ultimately.

I used blind 9 a lot. It's a shame we can't really rely on them anymore.

Edwin Watts store or online at GlobalGolf or TGW

Research: THP, Google

Testing: PGASS

Buying: depends, most of the gear drops in value quickly, and will look used after one round or range session, so I try to buy used. Many sources. I bought my i20 irons used at PGASS. Got my ATV wedges here. Rossi and Twoballs (for my wife) putters at GS. Most everything else on ebay. I think I'm going to head to PGASS today, they are blowing out demo clubs at up to 75% off. Looking for a 4 wood.

Research-THP
Testing- I don't often go out to hit clubs
Buying- GolfTown, kijiji is where I found my putter, Ebay and pro shops for accessories

I research on THP, I don't test much (lefty), and I buy almost all my golf equipment online.

Wanted to start a thread to see where THPers do most of their golf research, equipment testing/fitting, and purchasing.

Research: First and foremost THP, nothing better than the feedback from actual people. I also like going to youtube and watching random video reviews of equipment I'm pondering.

Testing/fitting: I do almost all of mine at Golf Galaxy in Oxford valley, Pennsylvania. They have a great selection of clubs and their staff is great. Their General Manager, Dan, is extremely knowledgeable about pretty much every product in the store. I've had numerous demo and fitting sessions their and have had nothing but positive experiences. I've never felt pressured to buy anything.

Purchasing: I get almost all of my new stuff at the Golf Galaxy that I mentioned above. I also like to use amazon.com if I have gift cards. If I am looking for used balls, I use Lostgolfballs.com and for used equipment I'll stick to THP or Craigslist. Don't have complete faith in eBay, but I know there are some great deals to be had.

I do pretty much the same as you, THP first for reviews then I go to the Oxford valley golf galaxy and take swings with the new gear and get fit by Jason.

I buy new and used at golf galaxy, golf smith in willow grove and online at global golf.

Research-THP and other online reviews.

Testing- PGA S/S, GolfSmith, THP outing and events

Buying- Of course on the DOTD, ebay and from the PGA S/S and GS.

Research: first THP, then I look at OEM sites and talk to friends.
Testing: I'll see if friends have what I want to try and I might go to Golfsmith and GolfTECH
Purchasing: if I need new I will try Golfsmith or eBay

Well I read up on things here. I discuss things here. Throw my thoughts on what I'm pondering here. People tell me I'm nuts here. I then find the best/cheapest place to purchase. I like Discount Dans a lot. I will also utilize Ebay for certain things.

Research - THP! I usually google my questions followed by "the hackers paradise" ..seems to work better than the search feature on the site.

Testing - Dick's and local shops. Have yet to find a place I really like though. The old guy behind the counter at Dick's knows nothing and is rude, and most local shops seem annoyed if you don't spend $1000 every time you're there.

Buying - DOTD, Ebay, etc.. I pretty much do all of my buying online except for certain apparel, I usually like to see how it fits.

I usually shop at Dicks ,Edwin Watts, and Golf Warehouse they usually have pretty good deals. I never have tried Craigslist, may give it a look.:bashful:

I usually shop at Dicks ,Edwin Watts, and Golf Warehouse they usually have pretty good deals. I never have tried Craigslist, may give it a look.:bashful:

I have been looking on CL recently. They have not had anything that I checked. I bet there are some deals to be had though

Research here and youtube mostly. Bought my irons from the marketplace. Check deal of the day thread almost daily and grabbed my latest putter, driver, and rescue mostly thanks to deals linked by DawgDaddy. I have been really happy with Rock bottom golf as well getting a lot of the smaller stuff through them.

Research: Here, various web sites and magazines. Talk to our fitter at the club. He is a great resource and excellent fitter with tools and fitting carts to do the job.

Testing: At my club for the most part. Left handed stuff is not as plentiful in the fitting carts but if they have it, they will let me take it to the course and play it for a few days. We are limited to Titleist, Ping, Mizuno and until this year, TM. TM charges more for the fitting cart than we sell in a years time. The others are reasonable. If I want to try something different, PGA SS in Kennesaw and I almost always try some things at Fiddler's Green in Oregon when out there.

Buying, I buy at our club when possible. We get good prices even with customization, such as shafts, lengths, flex, etc.

Back