Best driver for lower swing speed?

Scooter

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey im new here and i have a few questions im pushing 48, and i have both shoulderes replaced one knee and a hip lol...... Not plesant! But after many years off ive been able to play again the past 3 years and i would like the lightest weight driver i can find. I would like the most forgiving and would love to gain the most speed as possible. Thanks alot cant wait for the feedback

Check out the Cleveland Black thread maybe... good stuff there.

Firstly - go get fitted for one.

First suggestion - Cleveland XL270 or Cleveland Black

Surely get fitted but the specs you'll want to consider are drivers with a lighter overall weight and higher loft. The Cleveland stuff mentioned above is a great starting point. I'd probably go no lower than 10.5*, but it really depends on the numbers so make sure you hit several options.

yes i need to go with a 12.5, and there isnt really any "fitting" where i live other then hit some in the machine at a little local shop. Thanks for the many great ideas so far hopefully i hear somemore opinions to! I never even thought about Clevalnds so thats great!! Thanks so much so far

For slower swing speeds, I definitely recommend the Cleveland Black.

I am not very experienced so take this with a grain of salt, but I have a low swing speed (around 85 if I remember correctly) and just went through a fitting at Golftec. It turned out that the driver I hit the best was a Taylormade R11S 12* turned up to 13.5* with the M flex shaft option. Was 20 yards further than any other I hit including my current Nike SQDYMO2 11.5* on their monitor and I seemed to be just as if not more consistent with it. Just got it in today and the wind is blowing about 50 mph here so I won't get to try it on the range till tomorrow, but I will try to give you some better feedback on it when I get out there. If there is any place close enough for a reasonable drive for a fitting, I highly recommend it. The guys at Golftec spent a lot of time working with me and I learned a bunch from the experience. I tried so many different combinations I was pouring sweat by the time I was finished. It was a great experience.

Some great feedback so far, this is why i had to ask i would have never thought i would be thinking about the Clevland now! Thanks alot

The Cleveland Black and XL270 jump to mind but I think it would serve you well to go to your local shop and hit everything they have. Also you can check the OEM's webpages and see what demo days may be coming to your area so that you might hit them outside.

+1 on the Cleveland XL270 or CG Black!

For lightweight drivers I'd also say definitely take a look at the Adams Speedline products.

Cleveland black would be my #1 suggestion.

If your swing speed is under 90 mph you will need a Senior shaft which are usually graphite and nice and lite. I have a slow swing speed and all my clubs are senior shafts. Each manufacturer uses his own code, Titleist uses an A, TM uses an M. A fitting would be the best idea and said many times above. Let us know how you make out.

It's hard to make a blanket statement on shaft flex just based on ss. There are several factors that affect flex besides ss. If you have a very quick transition, or a very slow smooth transition, you will need different flex shafts regardless of your ss. As stated, it's very important to get fitted if there is anyone in your area that can do it.

Earl

If you have a slower swing speed, you need to play with a 50 g shaft. Regular flex is OK. And the driver loft needs to be around 11 to 12 degree to really help the launch angle.

Like most here recommend a Cleveland driver. I want to add Taylormade R9 Supertri. R9 Supertri got a higher spin rate and might help those who have a lower swing speed.

I agree that the Cleveland light drivers are great for slow swing speeds. I was fitted to the Cleveland SL290 10.5* regular flex with a swing speed in the low 80's. The black driver and the XL270 didn't pan out too well for me compared to the SL290. I use senior flex for my irons but regular flex for my driver and woods based on my fitting. My fitting was done by a teaching pro and a Cleveland rep on an open range.

Senior flex shaft. And nothing less than 12*. Or even higher.

I started golf 3 yrs ago at the age of 40 and my first driver was a NIKE 16* which I still have and use on a lot of par 3's. I knew NOTHING when I started and that club was given to me. I'm glad that was my first driver.

I now use a 10.5* with regular flex 46" shaft.

Tried out the Callaway XHot and Nike Covert today. Found out my swing speed is only 82 mph (getting old has some drawbacks). I did not hit either better than my Nike VR_S. Average drive 218 yards with 13 degree launch and low 2000s spin. Which of the new drivers coming out might help my distance? I am going to try out the TM RBZ Stage 2 and R1 next week. Did not see better results (lower spin numbers) with the Ping G25. Love Cleveland stuff, but the shot dispersion was not good for me with the CG Black. Probably should consider higher launch options since everything I hit is between 1800 and 2200.

Lighter shaft in the 50 Grams range like a Bassara or B. Asha in senior or regular flex depending on the SS exactly and then the loft is 10.5-12 depending on the setup and if price is a factor it is hard to direct you to the shaft or driver that may work best as everyone has a different budget but I can say this I hear you on not really being able to test clubs out because of where you may live and such so stick with those lift and do the best reasearch on some ultra-lightweight shafts and then find a nice driver that will help out with some of what you want out of the club! People are saying the Cleveland Black, well that may be an answer but I am sure there are other good ones out there for you as well! Do you have any clue what your SS is and if you slice or hook the ball stuff like that for other to help better serve you?

For slower swing speeds, I definitely recommend the Cleveland Black.

This. And don't shy away from higher lofts!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

This. And don't shy away from higher lofts!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
Bought the Black twice. Shot dispersion was not good (I believe others had the same issue). No problem with higher loft but 10.5 produces 12-14 launch. Spin was 1800-2000 with G25 and about 2200 on my VR_S gamer. Shot pattern is generally straight to slight draw. Would just like some shorter clubs into green to try to get below current 12 handicap, although some recent short game work has helped me break 80 four times in the past 6 weeks.

Hard to say because there are so many variations in driver heads and shafts. I just picked up a Wilson Staff DXi Superlight a couple of weeks ago and it has added about 15 yards for me and has improved my accuracy. It has the Matrix Ozik Xcon 4.1 shaft. My SS is about 93 and I got the R flex.

I think a nice forgiving driver with a properly fit shaft and a ball you can easily compress, this will give you the best distance for your game

Back