TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

Well I managed to get out on a course again today. It is a 9 hole course so I played round twice. Conditions were lovely and sunny, very cold, pretty windy and the course was waterlogged in places so no run at all, in fact one drive buried below the surface!
It was the best round of golf I have played in years. I hit something like 12/14 fairways (the other two were a couple of yards into the rough but nothing serious) and 10 GIR.
I posted 15 over including 4 3 putts and 3 holes where I duffed the chip leaving it off the green from less than 10 yards away (guess I know what I need to practice!)!!
I hit a PW from 130 yards to 18 inches from the hole and made the birdie, plus I also birdied that hole the 2nd time around when I rolled in a 20 foot putt from just off the edge.
Hit quite a few to within 10/15 feet which was pleasing, on a better day I should have gone a lot lower.
I saved one of my best until last though, wind behind, 174 to the flag, I hit a 7iron (would have been a 4 or 5 with the old set), it landed 5 foot from the flag and ran on another 5 foot. Sadly I missed the putt! But two birdies in one round of golf, I hadn't had a birdie for a couple of years I don't think!
I am so pleased with my pereformance and the consistency of the irons, especially given the conditions.

I used the 5i off most tees today and hit it sweet.
But, from being very reliable, the 4i did not perform well today (or maybe it was me!).
Just looking back at my card now.
I used the 5i off 10 tees, and hit the fairway with 8 of those. 1 was just wide, not that poor, but one went OOB, big long pull.
I used the 3w on 2 and hit the fw with both of those.
I used the 4i on 2 and missed both. Not too wide, in fact they were only about 3 yards off the fairway, but one was only 120 and the other 160 yds. Both mis-hit pulls.
I did not use the 4i off the fairway. I used the 5i once and hit it beautifully long and straight.

I am trying to get out on the course where I used to be a member (20 years ago I played off 12 there) which is very long and tight, been told it is at least 2 strokes tougher than most. It will require a lot more mid to long irons than I had to hit today. In fact my approaches today were:
4 x par 3 - 9i, 9i, aw, aw
the remaining hole i went to the green with
1 x 5i
1 x 7i
1 x 3w
1 x 6i
The rest were 8i or shorter.
That is down to the length of the course not my power off the tee!

Our favourite club, the AW, was poetry in motion!

That 4i is a bit of a pain to hit. It needs smoothness instead of a really aggressive swing.

I'm really starting to enjoy the AW as well (and like that they put the degrees on the head).

The 4i isnt my favorite club in the bag. Frankly, I've still yet to embrace the double fat 4 and 5i's ... BUT the good shots on them are great shots. It's just taking a lot of getting used to. I've removed the 4i from the bag, but am keeping the 5i in as my 185 winter club. We'll see how it flies in the summer as it could be well over 200 and thus too long.

I'm really starting to enjoy the AW as well (and like that they put the degrees on the head).
I love playing my AW. It's one of my favorite clubs in this set. Quite versatile.

Ok, update time for me!
I have added to my collection. Bought the 3hybrid yesterday. I also, 3 weeks ago or so, bought a RAZR Fit driver and an MPT 60 degree wedge.

Have played three rounds since my last post in this thread. That one was +15. Since then I have gone +13, +14 and....+10 today!

I am not hitting the 4i as well as i would like but the rest are swinging nicely. But what stunned me a little bit yesterday but totally today was the hybrid. What a beautiful club!
Took it off the tee and could not miss the fairway (well missed once with it and that was only by a couple of yards).

The AW continues to hone in on the target. The mid irons are consistent so long as my swing is. I can only think of one truly awful shot I hit today and that was a chip that I moved 3 foot! I had one 8i that I pushed 5 yards right of the green and a PW that I pushed 2 yards right. My main problem was that I came up about 3 ft short of the green 4 times. And on the last two holes hit good shots that just drifted right a touch and caught an overhanging tree leaving me no shot.

So I am thrilled with the irons, they have done exactly what I wanted them to, they have given me consistent distance, accuracy, and above all else confidence.

And to cap it all I broke 80 for the first time since 1981 in Sarasota, Florida (Bobby Jones Course)

Ok, update time for me!
I have added to my collection. Bought the 3hybrid yesterday. I also, 3 weeks ago or so, bought a RAZR Fit driver and an MPT 60 degree wedge.

Have played three rounds since my last post in this thread. That one was +15. Since then I have gone +13, +14 and....+10 today!

I am not hitting the 4i as well as i would like but the rest are swinging nicely. But what stunned me a little bit yesterday but totally today was the hybrid. What a beautiful club!
Took it off the tee and could not miss the fairway (well missed once with it and that was only by a couple of yards).

The AW continues to hone in on the target. The mid irons are consistent so long as my swing is. I can only think of one truly awful shot I hit today and that was a chip that I moved 3 foot! I had one 8i that I pushed 5 yards right of the green and a PW that I pushed 2 yards right. My main problem was that I came up about 3 ft short of the green 4 times. And on the last two holes hit good shots that just drifted right a touch and caught an overhanging tree leaving me no shot.

So I am thrilled with the irons, they have done exactly what I wanted them to, they have given me consistent distance, accuracy, and above all else confidence.

And to cap it all I broke 80 for the first time since 1981 in Sarasota, Florida (Bobby Jones Course)

Congrats Sibbers! I have totally enjoyed my time with the RBZ irons. My swing has been very inconsistent this past year however when it's on, these irons flat out perform.

Congrats on breaking 80 Sibbers, that is awesome. Glad to read that you are loving the irons.

Congrats Sibbers!!! Feels good to play with clubs that you are confident in. Makes all the difference in the world!

The irons just keep getting better.
I am so confident over the ball (apart from the 4i if I use it).
Today was a masterclass of clean striking from me! Hit 3 out of 4 par 3s (the 4th I pulled the 5i into the hazard - hit 3 off the tee and found the middle of the green).
Put 2 7is within 3 ft and a 6i to 4 ft! the Aw was good to me again, and I am geting used to a half swing with it for shorter shots. Would have been best round ever had i not had 2 silly 3 putts early on as I got used to pace of greens and duffed a couple of chips yet again. In fact on one hole (par 5) I was 10 yards from the green in 2 and took 3 to get on!
Lost a ball with my driver too so had 2 x 3 off the tee and still shot 12 over. Should have been nearer 5 or 6 over! Cleanest ball striking I can ever remember.

Man, I love these irons.

The irons just keep getting better.
I am so confident over the ball (apart from the 4i if I use it).
Today was a masterclass of clean striking from me! Hit 3 out of 4 par 3s (the 4th I pulled the 5i into the hazard - hit 3 off the tee and found the middle of the green).
Put 2 7is within 3 ft and a 6i to 4 ft! the Aw was good to me again, and I am geting used to a half swing with it for shorter shots. Would have been best round ever had i not had 2 silly 3 putts early on as I got used to pace of greens and duffed a couple of chips yet again. In fact on one hole (par 5) I was 10 yards from the green in 2 and took 3 to get on!
Lost a ball with my driver too so had 2 x 3 off the tee and still shot 12 over. Should have been nearer 5 or 6 over! Cleanest ball striking I can ever remember.

Man, I love these irons.

They grow on ya huh? :D I'm putting my 4i back in the bag as I hit that thing pretty darn well. When I'm off my swing/rhythm I miss the 4 hybrid just as bad so what da heck. When I hit the 4i well, it goes a LONG way so I'm going to hang with it for a few rounds.

They grow on ya huh? :D I'm putting my 4i back in the bag as I hit that thing pretty darn well. When I'm off my swing/rhythm I miss the 4 hybrid just as bad so what da heck. When I hit the 4i well, it goes a LONG way so I'm going to hang with it for a few rounds.
I still have the 4i in the bag but didnt need it today.
I have a 3H RBZ, man does that thing fly! My old 3i was my 180yd club. This thing goes anywhere up to about 220! I never imagined i would have a 198 yard shot and choke back on it a bit like I did today! Have found a consistent distance for each club which adds to the confidence. I have always thought ranger finders to be unnecessary, but I was given one for Christmas and now reallise how much they help.

Just a heads up after doing a fitting this weekend where the golfer chose these over the Rocketbladez - golfer wanted to add the set SW but TM does not have any more available (nor do they have 3 irons).

Comrades,

I just picked up a set of RBZ irons, 5 through PW. Cool thing is they have the KBS Tour 90 stiff, steel shafts from the factory. In addition, I purchased a KBS shafted 3 iron and the AW with a Rifle 6.0 shaft.

I'm anxious to report back after I hit the course this afternoon, but (most importantly) wanted to thank the previous testers as I would not have known about the issues with the stock shafts (when coupled with a high swing speed) if not for them.

Cheers,

LAW

Comrades,

I just picked up a set of RBZ irons, 5 through PW. Cool thing is they have the KBS Tour 90 stiff, steel shafts from the factory. In addition, I purchased a KBS shafted 3 iron and the AW with a Rifle 6.0 shaft.

I'm anxious to report back after I hit the course this afternoon, but (most importantly) wanted to thank the previous testers as I would not have known about the issues with the stock shafts (when coupled with a high swing speed) if not for them.

Cheers,

LAW

Good for you Law! I still have mine and enjoy them immensely when my golf game shows up :D. I'm looking forward to your take with the KBS shafts. I believe VMan had those installed and loved them.

I hit them well and am very pleased. Smashed the 3 iron. I was a bit sketchy with the AW, as it felt like I hit it "thin-ish" multiple times. Hopefully, I can figure it out with a little range time.

I will continue to post my progress and thoughts as we are supposed to get some good weather this weekend.

LAW

I hit them well and am very pleased. Smashed the 3 iron. I was a bit sketchy with the AW, as it felt like I hit it "thin-ish" multiple times. Hopefully, I can figure it out with a little range time.

I will continue to post my progress and thoughts as we are supposed to get some good weather this weekend.

LAW
You're gonna love 'em!

I have the 5-AW and love mine thus far.

Glad to hear another taking on the 3i, law! I have my off days with it, but when it is on, it's a beast. The 4i seems to be more trustworthy for me, though. I prefer to hit the 4i off the tee over the 3i.

I hope the aw starts behaving for you.

RBZ's with KBS Tour 90's would be a killer set. Let us know what you think about em.

Only issue I seem to be having is that I'm very inconsistent with divots and the "depth" of my swing. When I hit 'em flush, they are fantastic, but I'm catching them fat or thin way too much.

Anyone else have this issue with them? Any thoughts on why?

Thanks in advance,

LAW

Only issue I seem to be having is that I'm very inconsistent with divots and the "depth" of my swing. When I hit 'em flush, they are fantastic, but I'm catching them fat or thin way too much.

Anyone else have this issue with them? Any thoughts on why?

Thanks in advance,

LAW

Law my misses are chunks and I just figured it was me. I've had these irons for a good while now and it would be interesting to see if a thinner sole would help? Good question.

Law my misses are chunks and I just figured it was me. I've had these irons for a good while now and it would be interesting to see if a thinner sole would help? Good question.

OG,

Thanks for the response. It seems to me that the tolerance between fat and thin is relatively small. I agree that hit pure, the ball just flies off the club...that feeling is intoxicating. However, IF that feeling is the exception, not the rule, than the forged Mizunos may see their way back into my bag asap.

LAW

Back