Athletes & PEDs - A Question

I want Carl Petterson tested immediately :)

I don't think he stopped at the Antlers...he ingested the whole deer to be sure of mass effect.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised one bit if there was a report that came out and said some of the top golfers in the world were on PEDs. These guys are the ultimate competitors and I think that anything that would give them an advantage, they are going to try it out.

Very crude example, but look at golf equipment. Players use certain types of golf equipment because they feel it gives them an advantage over other types of golf equipment.

Where do you get this stuff at?

No problem questioning it at all. I only used AP as an example. There are alot of people that wouldnt surprise me. At least in my head, HR's = PED's only because of what we have seen in the past. Any player that is not a power hitter would surprise me. I guess I should have kept it more general and not used specific people.

I see, it's the power portion and the past history we have seen. I agree..

Exhibit A: Curtis Granderson. Guy can rake HRS, pretty sure he is a buck 60. I would say power does not necessarily equate to PEDS. None of that crap about Yankee stadium, he did it in Detroit too.

I am not surprised at all by new names on the lists, I think I am over it. The media gets really excited about it, but most people I know dont really care

I would no longer be surprised if I learn of any athlete -- and I do mean any athlete -- being linked to PEDs.

Honestly, it does not bother me at all. Athletics is their profession, and for many athletes there is an extremely window of opportunity to play professionally. If I was in the same situation, and if I was given an opportunity to take a pill or an injection that would allow me to excess in my career or prolong it, I can't imagine that I would pass on that opportunity.

In my opinion, baseball has blown PEDs way out of proportion because it is a game of numbers and statistics, and there is this (largely grandiose and unrealistic) black and white image of historic ghosts playing baseball the "right" way. This mentality has leaked into other sports, though still not to the level of baseball and its "holy grail" of statistical records.

The only real concern that I have from all of this is that we are giving children the wrong impression that PEDs are needed to generally compete in sports. However, I think this issue can be addressed without removing PEDs from the professional ranks. I would actually support such a path for professional sports.

The Term PED leaves open countless things. Lets use Tiger as an example. After his knee surgery if his doctor gave him a legal script for growth hormone (that is one of its legitimate uses, injury recovery) and Tiger used during his recover process would you consider that cheating? I would not. Also what about a guy who goes to the Dr and has his T-Levels checked (all males should have this checked around age 40) and tests showed he had a very low T count (lets say 150) if Dr gave him a legal script for TRT just to get him in the normal (350 to 550) range, would you consider that cheating, again I would not. If that is cheating, then I would say taking aleve or Advil is cheating as well. Just something to think about

Do you really think Tiger is massive? He is more muscular than most golfers on Tour. But he is hardly massize. He looks like a guy who works out. Nothing more to me.

Doesn't mean he hasn't used PEDs. I just don't think he is THAT big.

I'm not sure mass is the leading indicator of PED use. Take Melky Cabrerra -- PED user who actually got smaller while using them (mainly because he was a worthless tub of goo while he played in Atlanta).

There is not a single pro or top amateur athlete that would surprise me if they used PED's. From my encounters with athletes in the past, I can say with first hand experience,that a significant portion of them (that I met, which I know is a small sample size) are enhanced in some way. Keep in mind PED's includes much more than anabolic steroids. I would venture to say that HGH, IGF-1, etc for recovery purposes is much more prevalent than anabolics for muscle growth.

Do you really think Tiger is massive? He is more muscular than most golfers on Tour. But he is hardly massize. He looks like a guy who works out. Nothing more to me.

He's very muscular. But I'm just basing it on the stick that he was vs. what he is now. And I'm comparing it to Barry Bonds. Just food for thought.

Today is another day when athletes are being "linked" to using performance enhancing drugs. Not a year goes by that a star (current or past) gets linked in some fashion. Some are users, some are not, but the thought keeps coming into to my head about golf (and every other sport).

The question I have is really singular. Would it surprise you to hear that any top player was using PEDs? Meaning if it came out now or any other time in the next few years that any top player (be it golf or anything else) was using something would you be surprised?

I like to think that I would still be "shocked or surprised", but truthfully, I am not sure a single name coming out in todays day and age would surprise me. Sad? Maybe, but it seems that not a day goes by that more keep popping up for all the wrong reasons.

Surprised....No. Sad yes. I still thinks this was all bound to happen given the amounts of money being thrown at professionals today. Sad for sure.

I don't expect to see it much in golf, luckily this is a game of all around skill and strength isn't one of the main tools needed. The first day I ever golfed seriously I was taking a lesson and my instructor said "most guys(military) that come to see me are all muscled up and not flexible at all, but that's the good thing about golf, you can be the smallest, oldest, and weakest person on the course and still out do anyone". Big confidence boost me being a skinny-ish guy.

As for taking them for quicker recovery, could definitely see that happening a bit.

Generally, I agree...now. But isn't Tiger slightly smaller now than 4-6 years ago? Also say it ain’t so, Vij...oh, wait.

Tiger was much bulkier 4-5 years ago. He very well could have been on PEDs depends on how vascularized and muscely he was. That's usually a tell tale sign.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Just to further take my Tiger Woods-Barry Bonds point:

Tiger in 1997:
136824003_display_image.jpg
Tiger in 2008:
large_WoodsUSOpen.JPG

Barry Bonds comparison:
BarryBonds.jpg

Tiger was much bulkier 4-5 years ago. He very well could have been on PEDs depends on how vascularized and muscely he was. That's usually a tell tale sign.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

I would agree with that, the size aspect. Definitely previously bigger and now smaller. No knowledge if he has ever taken any substance or not.

I would agree with that, the size aspect. Definitely previously bigger and now smaller. No knowledge if he has ever taken any substance or not.

I would like to think he didn't. But we know he was already cheating for a couple years anyway:alien:

Tiger in 1997:
Tiger in 2008:
large_WoodsUSOpen.JPG

Barry Bonds comparison:
BarryBonds.jpg

Sorry man. I know he has put on a lot of bulk. But Tiger is not that big of a guy now. Or even a few years ago. He just looks a guy who works out, in my eyes

Barry wa obscenely huge at the end. Also, from the time I turned 21 to now, I have put on over 40 pounds. Does that mean I roiding?

Point of fact, I am not saying tiger hasn't used PEDs. Just that I don't think his size is an abnormal growth.

I would like to think he didn't. But we know he was already cheating for a couple years anyway:alien:
Bah! LOL True, yes. I don't think he did. It's a good photo comparison but maybe it took that long to get to that size. It was dramatic but I don't think impossible.

Unfortunately, in this era of sports there isn't any athlete that would surprise me if they were caught using PED's. These athletes are so competitive and often will do whatever it takes to stay on top for as long as possible.

No shock here....I don't care who they are or what sport.
They are all under so much pressure to perform that most if not all mortal humans would succumb to the pressure.
Just don't lie about it and say..."I had no idea there was anything prohibited in that stuff".

Tiger in 1997:
Tiger in 2008:
large_WoodsUSOpen.JPG

Barry Bonds comparison:
BarryBonds.jpg

Phil in college
ysaga2ej.jpg

Phil today
mutyhuzu.jpg

Sorry man. I know he has put on a lot of bulk. But Tiger is not that big of a guy now. Or even a few years ago. He just looks a guy who works out, in my eyes

Barry wa obscenely huge at the end. Also, from the time I turned 21 to now, I have put on over 40 pounds. Does that mean I roiding?

Point of fact, I am not saying tiger hasn't used PEDs. Just that I don't think his size is an abnormal growth.

I have not or will not ever say that Tiger Woods used any form of PED. However next time you stand next to him at an event, tell me he is "not that big of a guy". Having seen him local so many times, the guy is a monster and has gotten bigger every single year I have seen him. I have not stood next to him in about 5 months to say how it is this year, but the last few he has been a monster.

Heck, GG used to work out right next to him every single day of the week. His arms were getting huge. Thighs are gigantic and his waist tiny.

Maybe we should look at Jordan at the start and end of his career.

I have not or will not ever say that Tiger Woods used any form of PED. However next time you stand next to him at an event, tell me he is "not that big of a guy". Having seen him local so many times, the guy is a monster and has gotten bigger every single year I have seen him. I have not stood next to him in about 5 months to say how it is this year, but the last few he has been a monster.

Heck, GG used to work out right next to him every single day of the week. His arms were getting huge. Thighs are gigantic and his waist tiny.

Every time I see Tiger in person I think of how small he looks and am always thrown off that he isn't bigger in person. My father, sister, girlfriend, and mother have all said the same. He looks pretty big to me on TV.

...and yes, I have been close to him, not just looking from a distance. I could have tripped him if I wanted to many times (go to 2 events a year, follow him all rounds).

I guess it is just all in the eye of the beholder.

Back