Is talent earned?

I don't agree that anyone that works hard can be a golf pro. Those that play this game at the highest level have some god given talent. How much of this talent, well that's another question. TW was given the whole package. Tim
Heron hit just enough to be viable.

I also think the level of success has a lot to do with the level of competition. Guys like Skip Kendall can no longer compete in this modern area. Though talented and a golf pro, he missed his window to be dominate. He may be able to make a living but as for being relevant, I don't think so.

I think there has to be some god given talent in 98% of the pros on your. There may be some isolated cases where hard work has paid off but talent out weighs hard work on the range.

I think it's different for everybody. To think that any professional doesn't have to work is probably very far from the truth, but I know some of them appear like they have to spend more time at it than others.
Well put Hawk, I know there are others who put it a ton of time working and it doesn't pay off!!!

I had a friend in high school who I played baseball with. Decided he wanted to play golf, broke 80 within a month. Decided that wasn't good enough, and switched to lefty and I kid you not he shot a 72 within another month. There is something to be said for naturally gifted people

That's awesome! He could make a decent living traveling the country and gambling... "I bet you $500 I can beat you left handed".

I definitely believe anyone who puts in the work could become a pro, but for some it is just easier than others to get to that level so I think some of it has to do with natural ability.

I disagree with this post. For the large majority of people, they will never be able to make it pro regardless of how hard they "work". Some people lack the hand eye required. Some people will never be able to generate enough club head speed to drive the ball more than 230 yards. There are all kinds of natural limitations that simply can't be overcome through hard work.

I go back to that bunker shot Tiger hit at Torrey last weekend. Nobody practices that shot. You can't train hand eye coordination to that level. That's Jeebus given skill.

I go back to that bunker shot Tiger hit at Torrey last weekend. Nobody practices that shot. You can't train hand eye coordination to that level. That's Jeebus given skill.

Agreed, or the one he hit in Canada a few years ago out of the fairway bunker, 6 iron I think. Artificial intelligence!

I think some people are genetically predisposed to be good at a certain thing.

I've played a ton of sports and have played with guys who seemed to do very little but were the best in the leagues we played in and then there were guys like me who busted our butts just to make the team.

If you have the natural talent for something it makes it a lot easier to be good at it. I also think that the earlier you start at something the easier it comes to you.

I don't think talent just applies to sports it also applies to careers and education.

You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't have any drive to succeed you won't make it, but if you are still very talented and work hard you can go a long ways.

I think Thainer and Blu nailed it on the first page. It's a mix of the two, and the drive within them to develop that natural god given skill that makes some exceptional.

Sam Bradford and Johnny Football are both close to/are scratch golfers, and have been since their teens. I doubt either of them put a ton of work in on their golf game, at best a fraction of most THP'ers. They are just naturally gifted.

I live by the quote "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" anyone can beat someone when they outwork them. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't work hard to be better than the rest then you will be beaten.

There are some people who just have a natural talent. There are another small percentage of those with talent who have just extraordinary talent. Within that very small percentage there are some that have just can do it with little or no practice. But, again, within THAT small group there are the ones that will put in the time to practice and become superstars.

Natural talent can take you only so far depending upon your talent. The superstars have the best talent and best work ethic. Larry Bird and Michael Jordan shooting baskets for hours and hours. Ben Hogan and Lee Trevino are considered the best ball strikers ever. The both lived at the range. Talent plus practice.

But even if you live at the range like Hogan and Trevino, a person will never get to their level. Two people with similar talent will be separated by the work ethic or lack thereof.

Back