Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
Anything other than making sure it fits a cart bag and that it latches securely that makes a good hard sided travel case? I need two for September and can get what I think I want on ebay for 70 bucks shipped (each). It works, because they have the same thing at Sports Authority for 80 bucks plus tax. (The thickness of the plastic seems adequate and it has wheels). I'm keeping the budget for this under $100 total, for each.

I'm thinking having padding would be nice but that can be achieved with towels or something. This one locks,but since we are taking them on a plane, we can't lock it so that doesn't matter.

Anything else anyone looks for in a hard travel case?

Last edited:
OK I suppose since there is exactly zero responses means that what I am looking at are indeed the most important qualities of a hard travel case!

Something else came to mind though, wold you be more apt to use a hard case with a cart bag than a stand bag? Conversely, if you were taking a stand bag on a plane trip, would you be more likely to use a soft side bag? I suppose one thing to definitely keep in mind is the type of vehicle you are going to use on your trip (will two hard bags fit along with your luggage?) and whether or not you can rent or have access to a truck or SUV. We don't know if we are renting a vehicle yet, and whether or not the person that would pick us up would have access to their son's Explorer.

WAsn't there another thread that addressed this topic?

Not that I know of. There was a thread about travel bags recently that only talked about soft bags.

My mistake. I thought hard cases were discussed in that thread too.

Unless I missed it, I don't recall that they were.

I have used a hard case several times when I traveled and a soft case once. I prefer the hard case, but you are right about the lock. The TSA is gonna require you to leave it unlocked. The one I used was perfect for my stand bag and left room for my shoes and some accessories. I intend to buy one, but I still have two soft cases that were given to me as gifts or won in tournaments, I don't remember which.

Couldn't you just use a TSA lock on it, that way if they want to open it and have a look they can but you will still have the security of not leaving it unlocked? The one I have/used had an indicator on it to show if it had been opened.

It is a key lock, not one where you could use a padlock.

Zip ties. The TSA can cut them off, and will usually put one of their own on when they are done.

Zip Ties are usually enough to keep a thief out because they can't just unzip and quickly grab. Thieves will go for the path of least resistance.

Back