The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck with it. Love me some lessons. I'd take one a week if I could afford it.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else feels this way or has thoughts on this...

I'm constantly torn between owning my own swing (and fixing all its flaws on my own) and seeking a PGA pro's help (with which inevitably comes a "textbook" swing). Every time I get into a good groove, I figure that I can deal with my own swing and work through any flaws as needed. But as soon as I have a really bad range session or back-to-back poor rounds, I can't help but wonder if going back to a PGA pro (which I've done on and off over many years with slight success) is what I need. Maybe it's because I'm the son of a teacher and coach, so I appreciate and value what PGA pros can offer. But what I think it comes down to is that I'm just not knowledgable enough about the golf swing (like so many of you here at THP are), and thus I can't properly fix my own swing. I've thought about trying to use video and/or Swingbyte to help myself, but with the time and effort involved, a few lessons might be a better use of resources.

I always think back to baseball (which was my best sport through college): whenever I was in a batting cage or at the plate during a game, I could miss a pitch by a fraction of an inch and know exactly what happened. I could adjust on the fly and hit the very next pitch. However, I am not even close to being able to do that with golf, despite many lessons and what I think is a solid foundation.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. My instructor doesn't really have me looking textbook like Adam Scott, but we work hard on doing the things that create power, consistency, accuracy, etc.

Good example is that we almost never talk swing path or plane. I'm flat and I know it. I actually asked him about it after seeing some recent video and he said, "I don't care about that. Look at Matt Kuchar." Basically, he's working to get the most out of what I bring to the table.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. My instructor doesn't really have me looking textbook like Adam Scott, but we work hard on doing the things that create power, consistency, accuracy, etc.

Good example is that we almost never talk swing path or plane. I'm flat and I know it. I actually asked him about it after seeing some recent video and he said, "I don't care about that. Look at Matt Kuchar." Basically, he's working to get the most out of what I bring to the table.

I need to find an instructor like this. Help me own MY swing and not try to scrap it all.

Migs, I agree with Hawk. There are teachers that try to adjust your swing to fit a mold, a la Foley. Then there are those that take what you've got and try to tweak a mechanic here and there to correct flaws, but keep your swing as your swing, a la Butch Harmon.

There are golfers that need both. Some take pride in having a swing that mimics a pro.

Ask questions and find the teacher that fits the category that you like.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I've learned to do differently.

I'm sure, but I like that it wasn't "we are going to make you swing just like player x here". I don't want that.

I'm sure, but I like that it wasn't "we are going to make you swing just like player x here". I don't want that.

No, I've had that guy. He put me side by side with Adam Scott. That's not fair on many levels, especially handsomeness.

We do video and he can show me things (like my butt coming off the line for example), but it's all about me.

No, I've had that guy. He put me side by side with Adam Scott. That's not fair on many levels, especially handsomeness.

We do video and he can show me things (like my butt coming off the line for example), but it's all about me.

This is what I want/need to find. I've gotten where I have on my own, but I want more.

I just got lucky dude. I can't speak highly enough about my teacher, but finding him was just dumb luck.

Well now that my back seems to be sorted I will hopefully be back to playing soon assuming the weather keeps improving and lets the courses dry out a bit more, but in the meantime I will hopefully get to the range to hit some balls without a goal at first, just to get back into the groove and then start working on a few things

So, I've been having some major swing struggles, specifically off the tee lately.

Talking with our one and only Freddie, he made a statement that struck me. Basically that at a certain level it is usually the smallest things throwing things off in the swing like grip, stance, etc. So, I took a video and looked. Basically my right knee has been locked on the tee, no bueno. Add to that my grip has gotten extremely lax, not bueno AT ALL.

So at parent teacher conferences last night I re-read two of my favorites on the grip and properly placing your hands on the club, Mr. Harvey Pennick and Slicefixer. It showed me just how lazy my grip has gotten and this disappointed me a lot. As tot he knee, I read some thoughts on it as well to have a bookmark in my brain for the range/course. I'm big on OWNING my OWN swing ans not mimicking someone elses, its just how I am, and I need to remember that its a good thing (if not a necessity) to go back over some things sometimes.

We shall see.

I agree Jman, it can be the smallest things - I went through a round last year where I could not hit a wood off the tee at all until I got to the 13th where I hit a 3W followed by a 5W to be pin high on a 500yd par 5.....it turned out that I had been standing fractionally too close to the ball and was trying to force the swing on an unnatural path (for me) which was making a mess of things. The work colleague who I was playing with said he could tell something was up as normally I don't have a problem hitting my 3W off the tee but he didn't realise what the problem was, so it just goes to show how small the problem can be and how big an effect it can have

Hopefully it won't take you long to get things sorted

I just want to jump in here,., I have worked with instructors that want to have you mimic pros, and I have found those that want to tweak what is causing an issue with my swing. I prefer to work on the issue. I went 2 years ago to an instructor because I had developed something that was killing my driving and I could not figure out what it was. They spotted it within a few swings and I was good to go for a long time. One little flaw was all I needed cured.
To know the truth, and I need to do this again.

My first range session since my lesson last week. I've just been taking mock swings to try to engrain the positions into my muscle memory so I was excited to go hit balls. I flushed so many iron shots it was just awesome. I hit a few more on the fat side than I normally would but my misses were going completely the opposite of my high right/short miss before. Low, left and long when I didn't hit good ones, that is a sign that things are working. I haven't hit this many just solid contact iron shots in a while, even when I was playing well I still felt like that ugly miss high, right and short was just around the corner at any time.

Iron shots were traveling far, going straight or just a little draw and contact was on the button more often than not. I'm super excited to keep this going. My driver swing started off a little goofy but the more shots I hit the more it came around ultimately to the point where I was hitting some very good balls there too. I love having a plan when I practice, I see a fast start to the 2013 season!

Love to hear that Jake! Man, there isn't anything like solid irons shots, is there?

My first range session since my lesson last week. I've just been taking mock swings to try to engrain the positions into my muscle memory so I was excited to go hit balls. I flushed so many iron shots it was just awesome. I hit a few more on the fat side than I normally would but my misses were going completely the opposite of my high right/short miss before. Low, left and long when I didn't hit good ones, that is a sign that things are working. I haven't hit this many just solid contact iron shots in a while, even when I was playing well I still felt like that ugly miss high, right and short was just around the corner at any time.

Iron shots were traveling far, going straight or just a little draw and contact was on the button more often than not. I'm super excited to keep this going. My driver swing started off a little goofy but the more shots I hit the more it came around ultimately to the point where I was hitting some very good balls there too. I love having a plan when I practice, I see a fast start to the 2013 season!

Great to hear Jake!

Love to hear that Jake! Man, there isn't anything like solid irons shots, is there?
Nothing! It is such an addicting feeling. I've cracked out the J40 CB's as of late to get myself re-geared toward using an iron like that since my Callaway irons for the Morgan Cup are either going to be X Hot Pros or X Forged and MAN I love that feeling of a solid shot off those irons!

Thanks Shark!

Nothing! It is such an addicting feeling. I've cracked out the J40 CB's as of late to get myself re-geared toward using an iron like that since my Callaway irons for the Morgan Cup are either going to be X Hot Pros or X Forged and MAN I love that feeling of a solid shot off those irons!

Thanks Shark!

I get addicted to it and just can't stop sometimes man. Maybe the most satisfying feeling in golf to me.

Well had a much better range session today and felt great about it when I left the course. I started the day over at the the two short game greens and practiced everything from chips and flops and 100 yard shots. I found a feel for my approach shots that I haven't felt in awhile. I gave myself a slightly open stance as well as a slightly open club face; plus I moved the ball to almost the middle of my stance vs the off inside back foot that i have been using for a while.

On my swing plane I make it feel as if I'm going outside in, and mainly play to a very slight fade. For the 1st time in a while I felt totally comfortable with a wedge in my hands, what a great feeling that is. My control of distance and accuracy were night and day compared to my last 2 times out. I went ahead and hit another bucket with my irons and woods and that went pretty decent as well.

I gotta get back out there this weekend to keep that feel going.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Spent some time on the range today before I hit the course.....working with the J40 Driver with Project X shaft that White Rhino sent me to use for awhile....Thanks buddy!
was really happy with the ball flight and distance from the J40...went out and hit 11/13 fairways with it.

Well had a much better range session today and felt great about it when I left the course. I started the day over at the the two short game greens and practiced everything from chips and flops and 100 yard shots. I found a feel for my approach shots that I haven't felt in awhile. I gave myself a slightly open stance as well as a slightly open club face; plus I moved the ball to almost the middle of my stance vs the off inside back foot that i have been using for a while.

On my swing plane I make it feel as if I'm going outside in, and mainly play to a very slight fade. For the 1st time in a while I felt totally comfortable with a wedge in my hands, what a great feeling that is. My control of distance and accuracy were night and day compared to my last 2 times out. I went ahead and hit another bucket with my irons and woods and that went pretty decent as well.

I gotta get back out there this weekend to keep that feel going.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Man, I miss the short game area at my old club. Sounds like a nice session.

Spent some time on the range today before I hit the course.....working with the J40 Driver with Project X shaft that White Rhino sent me to use for awhile....Thanks buddy!
was really happy with the ball flight and distance from the J40...went out and hit 11/13 fairways with it.

That's solid Tim!

I took a day off and then hit balls last night for an hour or so. Results were fine, though I wasn't entirely focused on practice as much as I was hitting the XL driver. Today is going to be a good day for me I think. Getting outside for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm ready to see some balls fly after all the recent work. Heading to the temp greens/tees course, so I'll just park on a couple holes and hit all the balls in my bag and then move on.

It's rare that I say this, but that sucked. The sun never came out so it was like 30° with 20 mph winds.

I get addicted to it and just can't stop sometimes man. Maybe the most satisfying feeling in golf to me.

No kidding. Worked on halfway back to the top today in my lesson and bang - hitting it in the center and it feels great. Still got a little adrenalin going now I am home. Worked hard on the take away over the last week and its starting to look great, one piece take away and out wide. The monitor showed all green numbers except shoulder turn but it was just 1 degree off being green.

Too bad its still winter and the only place I can practice is in the bay indoors. Spring can not come soon enough for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back