Nike VRS Covert Driver Preview

Checked 'em out at lunch. The Tour shaft was a bit floppier than I expected, but I still wanna hit it!

Hit this today at golfsmith. On thier vector LM. My previous 2 outings with this at Golf Galaxy was a 50/50 split. 1st I hated it, then I was crushing it. So today, on my continued quest to "like" this club a paies the Performance version with stock stiff Kuro Kage at 11.5 against the Tour model with Matrix Black Tie at 10.5 (what was available)...

*Note* GM from Golfsmith did mention the club head spead reading are always 4-6mph off.

**NOTE** first 3 shots are the performance model and last 3 are the TOUR model

Tapping away on my S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360354909281.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360354909281.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is the red Kuro Kage in the performance a made for shaft does anyone know? I wasn't a huge fan of it. I did like the real one in the Tour though.

Is the red Kuro Kage in the performance a made for shaft does anyone know? I wasn't a huge fan of it. I did like the real one in the Tour though.

Yes. The red shaft is stock in performance.

I picked up my Covert two days ago, I fell in-love during the fitting. Lower launch angle, faster ball speed, less spin and tighter disbursement!
If you told me to describe my ideal driver these words in this order would be what I said. Lower launch, faster ball speed, less spin and tighter disbursement. SIGN ME UP!

I have a raging headache saying this, but I am seriously pondering a Covert Tour. With a Fubuki K and 11.5 loft I was hitting it straighter than I ever have before and just about as long as my 9064. I don't think I could ever pull myself to do it, but the thought is in my head :(
Oh wow. Straighter than ever before and still long? DO IT!!! :D

Puttin4Bird said:
Oh wow. Straighter than ever before and still long? DO IT!!! :D

It's been bothering me all day long. I'm gonna drive myself insane over this golf club.

I have a raging headache saying this, but I am seriously pondering a Covert Tour. With a Fubuki K and 11.5 loft I was hitting it straighter than I ever have before and just about as long as my 9064. I don't think I could ever pull myself to do it, but the thought is in my head :(
Love that shaft too. Wish I never got rid of mine.

Your pro shop had one in the fitting cart? That's awesome. Do you happen to know what the upcharge is from Nike?

I may be on the late show, but I give you mad props for giving the evil empire a go. Wonders never cease, good for you!

You're going to end up with one. It's written all over your posts!

Don't encourage it. My madness is bad enough.

Love that shaft too. Wish I never got rid of mine.

Your pro shop had one in the fitting cart? That's awesome. Do you happen to know what the upcharge is from Nike?

It was a Nike Speed Trial launch event so there were Nike reps there with everything for it, they had like 30 shafts. My shop doesn't have any of the new fitting carts yet. Should the unthinkable happen, I'll let you know the upcharge.

I may be on the late show, but I give you mad props for giving the evil empire a go. Wonders never cease, good for you!

It hurt to try it a second time, but a door opened inside my brain...

I just had a hit of the performance model, I loved how it flew off the face and was pretty straight. I ended up buying it as I got a good trade in deal, I now have the covert and the XHOT to play about with now.:banana:

Is there a Nike Custom Options pdf anywhere around the interwebs? I've been looking for 20 minutes and can't find their custom options. I know it's been said you can get anything but I want to see an actual custom options pdf.

I just hit the Covert at Dicks. Stock stiff shaft, set to 8.5 degrees. I was only averaging around 277 and total spin was high for me, around 3200-3600. So put that up against the R1 that averaged 296, I don't think I could buy it without a shaft fitting (not gonna happen near Monroe, LA). I will say this, that sucker was straight! I loved the feel, and I liked the sound- I didn't find it loud or high-pitched like some have said. So, with as straight as it was, if I can find a shaft to bring that spin down to around 1800-2100, I'd like to see what it could do!

Is there a Nike Custom Options pdf anywhere around the interwebs? I've been looking for 20 minutes and can't find their custom options. I know it's been said you can get anything but I want to see an actual custom options pdf.

Go through Nike golf Canada.

Spent some time at the sim today. After hitting several balls at each loft, the best result for me was at 12.5 degrees (launch angle 13.2) averaging 284 yards (stock Kuro Kage Black stiff shaft). At 11.5 degrees I was averaging 269. My swing speed was between 99-102. Not sure on the spin and all that stuff or if these numbers with swing speed and lofts are accurate. This was just what I was seeing after hitting the driver for 1/2 hour at all of the lofts. Obviously, next month I will be able play outdoors and will get the true results. With my previous Cobra AMP I was averaging 265 yards so this is an improvement in distance. The dispersion was awesome as well with very few balls off the center line. Spending a ton of time with this today, I must say at how much I love the feel of this driver compared to everything else I have hit. Obviously I am a Nike homer, but I just cannot wait to get this thing outdoors.

I just hit the Covert at Dicks. Stock stiff shaft, set to 8.5 degrees. I was only averaging around 277 and total spin was high for me, around 3200-3600. So put that up against the R1 that averaged 296, I don't think I could buy it without a shaft fitting (not gonna happen near Monroe, LA). I will say this, that sucker was straight! I loved the feel, and I liked the sound- I didn't find it loud or high-pitched like some have said. So, with as straight as it was, if I can find a shaft to bring that spin down to around 1800-2100, I'd like to see what it could do!

You really have to increase your loft with this club compared to what you usually use. That's when you should see an increase in distance, as most who hit this driver are.

Demo'd this in regular flex today for half an hour. I came away much more impressed than I thought I would. Even liked the look more than anticipated. Very easy to swing through the ball and the ball flight was nice and penetrating. I'll have to think about it more, but a very unexpected surprise.

Hit again today. I'm buying the performance model with the tour kuro kage silver 70g shatf thats in the tour model. I was bombing this combo today at Edwin Watts.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk HD

taking out the Covert Tour with Kuro Kage stiff tomorrow and sunday for a few live rounds; looking forward to it; right now, i've got it set to what my current VRS with a'hina shaft are set to - 10.5, neutral - expecting some good things tomorrow

You really have to increase your loft with this club compared to what you usually use. That's when you should see an increase in distance, as most who hit this driver are.
Yeah, with a starting point of over 3000 spin, not gonna get much more out of it by raising loft, which adds more spin. With 110 mph SS, I actually need the spin rate to go down. The 14-15 launch would then be okay.

Even though I loved it I talked myself out of buying it (I've bought 6 drivers in the past 12 months, I have issues) I think my wife has decided to buy it for me for my birthday next month since I've actually decided to be sensible and NOT jump on the latest and greatest when it's released.

Not a complaint one will slip from my mouth if she does.........

Took some more swings with this yesterday. Noticed that my launch angle was lower than with some other drivers like the XHOT, Xtreme, and R1. However spin was still an issue for me. I don't think it's the club I'm very certain it is me right now. Even with my spin numbers being high in the upper 3,000's it was still lower then the others mentioned. The longest drive I hit yesterday came with the XHOT based on carry, but the Covert was the most consistent in terms of carry yardage. I just need to get that driver swing back, lower the spin, and then get some yardage back because it's definitely robbing me of plenty of yardage.

I gave the Covert tour another chance last night and was actually quite impressed the 2nd time around. I found it easy to hit the sweet spot of the club head over and over and the small head profile really works for me. The stock shaft in this club might be my favorite OEM offering of the year so far, it's just so smooth and the Stiff was holding up to a 108-112 SS just fine.

Back