Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
OK, these people may not talk when you're hitting, but they do everything else possible (innocently) to distract you. They're either fidgeting with their phones, banging clubs in their bags, zipping and unzipping bag compartments searching for god knows what. Some take practice swings that you can hear at address. Others pace within your field of vision. Still others click away on their cell phones texting while you putt.

Any of these irritate you? Sure, they can always say they don't say a word while you're hitting or putting but their other fidgeting distractions more than make up for it.

Do you know any people like this? Do you just deal with them or do you say something?

I used to play with a woman who would address her ball while someone else was putting. Since you weren't sure if she was going to putt - you stopped and you then she'd look at you like why did you stop. Made me crazy.

It usually doesn't bother me as long as they are out of my field of vision. If I can hear them moving about, I can block that out, but someone moving around where I can see will distract me. Recently, a maintenance worker started a chainsaw in the middle of my swing. I still made a good swing and the guys in my group cracked up and then commented on how I managed to hit the ball anyway.

It usually doesn't bother me as long as they are out of my field of vision.

Same here. My playing partners and I all grew up playing sports where noise is a constant. I think we're able to block out sounds around us pretty well.

Movement around me at address is pretty annoying though.

I become very tunnel visioned when I step up the the ball and when I take my practice swings. As Tiger says (as stated in Johneli's sig), it is just me and the ball.

It usually doesn't bother me as long as they are out of my field of vision. If I can hear them moving about, I can block that out, but someone moving around where I can see will distract me. Recently, a maintenance worker started a chainsaw in the middle of my swing. I still made a good swing and the guys in my group cracked up and then commented on how I managed to hit the ball anyway.

I'm just the opposite. If there is a fidgeter in the group, I'd rather that they stay in my field of vision. That way if they become too distracting, I can step back and glare at them. :at-wits-end: But I play with so many different players at so many different levels of the game that I'm pretty much bulletproof... deaf and blind when I'm addressing the ball.

What does get me is not when someone fidgets during my stroke, but when they fiddle around prepping for their own shot. It makes me crazy to have to watch someone stalk a putt, then plumbob, then line up the silly line on the ball, take 5 or 6 practice strokes, then finally address the ball and stand over it for 20 seconds before missing by a foot or more. THAT drives me nuts!!

I'm just the opposite. If there is a fidgeter in the group, I'd rather that they stay in my field of vision. That way if they become too distracting, I can step back and glare at them. :at-wits-end:
That made me laugh 4-Putt - I have a vision of you glaring and waving your rule book in the air.

Those folks don't bother too much, if at all. There are too many other noises going on. Planes flying over head, birds chirping, folks in their back yard doing stuff, dogs barking, are just a few. Vehicle traffic, sirens are some others. The person who does bother me is that pesky course marshal who drives the course backwards, and will park in front of me, waiting while I hit my shot. Those people are my ball magnet. :angry:

I have seen pro golfers on TV wig out about a bothersome noise in the gallery, but are not effected by the jet plane flying over head that can clearly be heard on the TV. :D

I have seen pro golfers on TV wig out about a bothersome noise in the gallery, but are not effected by the jet plane flying over head that can clearly be heard on the TV. :D

I think that's because the noise from the jet is somewhat continuous, but the noise from the gallery is sudden and unexpected. Any continuous noise fades into the background.

Doesnt really bother me one way or another,i focus on the shot i want to play rather on whats going on around me.

It usually doesn't bother me as long as they are out of my field of vision.

I'm the same way - unaffected by fidgetty noises as long as nothing visually distracts me.

The one that always gets me is the guy who duffs his drive and then starts taking practice swings while your trying to set up. I try to block it out, but it usually ends up getting to me.

I don't like when the guy who wants to hit next starts digging in his pocket for his tee when I am in the middle of my backswing. This guys usually has about a dollar in change in his pocket and is digging through trying to grab a tee. I have trouble focusing when this happens. I know I should block it out..... but...I struggle with it.

It doesn't bother me but neither does noise. I have played in a league with a guy that must have the best hearing ever because every little noise gets to him. Last night he complained because a cart that was a over 300 yeards aways hit their brakes in his swing. He complained once because a rabbit moved. We kind of laugh but try not to be too obvious that we are laughingh about it. To make matters worse he takes forever oer the ball. He is one of those that takes his practice swing then sets up and freezes. He will stand there at address for around 30 seconds (yes we have timed him) and then swing.

He wonders why nobody likes it when he is put on their team. He just doesn't get that golf is supposed to be fun. He is in a bad mood the whole time and complaining about everythng that kept him from making a good shot. Heck he still complains when he hit a good shot.

He just doesn't get that golf is supposed to be fun. He is in a bad mood the whole time and complaining about everythng that kept him from making a good shot. Heck he still complains when he hit a good shot.

Im going through this with one of my playing partners. I feel bad because he used to be a pretty good golfer and now he is in a funk, but he whines, throws golf balls and breaks clubs. Im kind of over it, I would rather play with myself. Im always just happy to be outside and not couped up in a office.

I think what gets me the most is the guys who attempt to be quiet whispering to the person next to them whilst I'm on the tee. They rarely whisper quietly and I'm always wondering what they're saying that's so important it has to be whispered during my backswing :)

I played with a guy last Monday morning who must have had twelve dollars worth of change and a few tees in the same trouser pocket. While I was teeing off he would rummage through that pocket looking for a tee. Can you imagine the racket of him fishing around in all that change for a tee? Next time I teed off I pulled a complimentary tee from the cart dashboard and handed it to him. He never said a word.

I think what gets me the most is the guys who attempt to be quiet whispering to the person next to them whilst I'm on the tee. They rarely whisper quietly and I'm always wondering what they're saying that's so important it has to be whispered during my backswing :)

That is the one thing I hate worse than anything if you got something to say go ahead and say it or not say it at all. Sometimes I get thinking they are talking about my swing or something and it really messes me up.:angry:

That is the one thing I hate worse than anything if you got something to say go ahead and say it or not say it at all. Sometimes I get thinking they are talking about my swing or something and it really messes me up.:angry:

I agree. I usually stop and ask them to watch my ball for me.

I agree. I usually stop and ask them to watch my ball for me.

What a great subtle way of making your point. I am going to remember that.

I think that's because the noise from the jet is somewhat continuous, but the noise from the gallery is sudden and unexpected. Any continuous noise fades into the background.

Exactly. Jets, someone mowing, anything like that shouldn't bother people. Not like you can do anything about them anyway.

Im going through this with one of my playing partners. I feel bad because he used to be a pretty good golfer and now he is in a funk, but he whines, throws golf balls and breaks clubs. Im kind of over it, I would rather play with myself. Im always just happy to be outside and not couped up in a office.

There's just no way I can NOT quote this! hehe

There's just no way I can NOT quote this! hehe

What, what, I dont get it. :confused2: I play with myself all the time. Im able to concentrate more.

You're killing me Gas! :quiet:

Back