Must play courses in Tampa area ?

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
Heading down to Tampa end of the month - would really like to hear of any really good courses in the area. Probably play TPC Tampa, but the reviews I've read say it may be overrated and not worth the money. Any local info would be appreciated ... Thx

World Woods(Pine Barren and Royal Oak) I was really impressed with both layouts and completely different styles.If you can do 36 holes,nice way to spend a day!

Innisbrook
Westchase is great for a public course

thanks guys for the recommendations !

I'd probably nix TPC Tampa Bay. It's not worth whatever they're charging you (probably around 100)

Innisbrook, World Woods, Westchase, Lake Jovita South

Southern Hills Plantation in Brooksville, FL. It's North of Tampa, but better than TPC Tampa for sure.

I got to play West Chase during my last visit to Florida, it is an awesome track!

There are few former Private courses that have opened up for public play in the area. Wentworth and Crescent Oaks up near Palm Harbor are a couple. It never hurts to check websites before a visit. Crescent Oaks was a public course while they built up private equity numbers, then it was Private until a few years ago in the down economy. Wentworth was always Private until 2 years ago, when they opened up for outside play. I wouldn't say they were "must play" courses, but they're decent enough with CC amenities at a reasonable price. While the TPC Tampa can be a bit pricey, Cheval right next door is open to the public- just call the pro shop for a tee time and rates. They have a "Member for a day" deal. I would second the World Woods selection, they have a 36 hole deal. Innisbrook is even pricier than TPC on at least three of their courses, and the other 2 aren't must plays, either.

+1 on Innisbrook. Copperhead and Island are excellent courses. Service was first class.

Island is supposedly the better of the two big courses. I've never played it though cause if I'm driving the pain in the neck way to get there, I'm playing what I've seen and played before.

World Woods(Pine Barren and Royal Oak) I was really impressed with both layouts and completely different styles.If you can do 36 holes,nice way to spend a day!

Get on the WW email list. It costs 119 today, tomorrow with coupon, 49. Also the Dunes course near WW is a really good layout, conditions not as good, but for 36 green fee, it is a bargain. You may have to bump it a little in a few places, greens are pretty good.

It looks like all of them have been said. I just played World Woods on friday and it was in great shape.

Glad I did a search on this. I'm heading to Tampa for business Apr 29 - May 1. Family is flying in to meet me on the first and we'll get some golf and scuba in. I'll have to check out the courses you've been listing. Any divers have any scuba recommendations as well?

Lots of great options. Innisbrook is getting ready to host the PGA tournament next month, so it will be in great shape. Saddlebrook is a good option:

http://www.saddlebrook.com/golf.html

Brooksville Country Club is a great bargain, and is up north near World Woods, The Dunes, Southern Hills, etc. The back nine features several holes built on an old quarry, which are great fun:

http://www.brooksvillecc.com/

I personally think Westchase and TPC are rather "ho-hum". Fox Hollow is good:

http://www.foxhollowgc.com/

Has WW recovered?

Has WW recovered?

Get on the WW email list. It costs 119 today, tomorrow with coupon, 49. Also the Dunes course near WW is a really good layout, conditions not as good, but for 36 green fee, it is a bargain. You may have to bump it a little in a few places, greens are pretty good.

Hey - don't want to hijack the thread but seemed ok to ask - How is the condtion of the World Woods courses? I've played there a few times but not for several years. First time I played Pine Barrons (maybe 12 years ago) it was excellent. Took some friends back about a year later and it was very spotty. Tried again a year or so later and it was nearly unplayable on some greens. Finally just gave up - seemed like it was heading steadily downhill. I'd love to hear it's back - loved the layout.

Hey - don't want to hijack the thread but seemed ok to ask - How is the condtion of the World Woods courses? I've played there a few times but not for several years. First time I played Pine Barrons (maybe 12 years ago) it was excellent. Took some friends back about a year later and it was very spotty. Tried again a year or so later and it was nearly unplayable on some greens. Finally just gave up - seemed like it was heading steadily downhill. I'd love to hear it's back - loved the layout.

It's in great shape, you should definitely check it out when the prices drop later in the year.

It's in great shape, you should definitely check it out when the prices drop later in the year.

Great! Thanks!

I think TPC is sort of a letdown. The greens are a great challenge though. World Woods is worth the drive.

Avoid TPC Tampa bay. Rip off. What are you in the mood for?

I was about to come back and delete my post with the question about TPC Tampa after familiarizing myself with the beginning comments. I'll be staying at Marriott Waterside by the convention center. I'm not wanting to take the entire day to play a round due to the fact that while my oldest and I will be playing a round, my wife and other son will be doing "whatever" to kill time while we are golfing. Of course after that on another day, my youngest and I will be getting a scuba trip in while my wife and oldest will be doing "whatever". Needless to say though, I'm trying to keep the drive relatively short so I really don't want to travel an hour or so to get a round in. If we can keep it short, my wife could just drop us off and then come pick us up after our round. If there's an hour or so drive, that doesn't make much sense and she won't have much to be entertained for 4 hours or so out in the middle of nowhere. The other option would be just to leave her and my other son in Tampa while my oldest and I take the car up and play. That may be fine as well since there will be plenty to do near the convention center probably. In other words, I'm trying to keep EVERYONE happy. Innisbrook seems fairly close though so that may be a viable option.

Easy drive from downtown Tampa to Brandon, which has a few decent tracks.

Easy drive from downtown Tampa to Brandon, which has a few decent tracks.

I'll check it out. Did a search in WW seems to be at the top of most lists. Also saw Saddlebrook listed, but no comments in this thread. Thoughts? They don't list their green fees. It's also a huge tennis complex. Probably pretty pricey I would imagine.

I'll check it out. Did a search in WW seems to be at the top of most lists. Also saw Saddlebrook listed, but no comments in this thread. Thoughts? They don't list their green fees. It's also a huge tennis complex. Probably pretty pricey I would imagine.

By that time Saddlebrook will have come down a good bit in price, your best bet will be to use the tee time app at the top of your screen, much cheaper than paying the rack rates. That goes for most courses in the area. There really aren't many courses near the Downtown area. There are a couple munis that aren't too far, but there are better options if you don't mind going a bit farther. What are some things your wife and son enjoy doing? Might make it easier if you are playing a course near some things they like. Like Erky said there a couple options in Brandon, and you can jump on the crosstown and get over there in 20 minutes. Up in New Tampa there are quite a few options, but traffic is such a pain in that direction if you are going or coming at the wrong time. There are a couple courses on Dale Mabry that may be accessible. Westchase is about a half hour, and that could be a very good option for you.

Palma Ceia is close but private. If you are going to be down here for business maybe someone could get you on? Or if you are a member of a club at home they might could call.

There is also the Dunedin Golf Club, which is a Donald Ross design. Close to Innisbrook (a bit south off of Old 19)- and for $50 or less, a relative steal compared to Innisbrook, TPC and WW. If the wife and others are beach folks, it is right near the entrance to Honeymoon Island. A block south of Curlew Rd. Played there a long time ago and remember it being a decent test. Not sure about conditions these days though. But at least it's a tick off the 'classic designer list' of courses.

Back