Nike VR_S Covert Tour Driver Preview Thread

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
A gorgeous new Nike VR_S Covert Tour driver has arrived for me to do a home page review on. The Covert Tour has gotten a ton of press already and I cannot wait to get started with the review. As you know the Nike Covert is the first metal wood to employ a cavity back construction, this allows Nike to increase ball speed and centralize the impact zone. The VR_S Covert comes in a Tour and non Tour version. This is the Tour version that I'll be doing my review on. It has a 430cc head that is adjustable from 8.5 to 12.5 degrees of loft and three face angles. This one has the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Silver 60 Shaft. Everything I've read so far says that this is the legit shaft, not a made for model. I can't wait to get more experience with this setup.

Here are a couple of pics. I'll get much more as I begin my testing on this. So far my first impressions are that from address it is simply stunning to look at. Very pretty red color with the Swoosh on the rear of the crown. From the sole angle it reminds me of a transformer to be 100% honest. I think it looks really cool and I cannot wait to get started with my testing!

20130208_164051_zps53d17a17.jpg

20130208_164202_zpsd6f59e8b.jpg

20130208_164243_zps84e4cdcc.jpg

20130208_164303_zps7a38bbc6.jpg

20130208_164428_zps29c888d6.jpg

20130208_164445_zpsbe797a13.jpg

20130208_163947_zpsc5f63d2a.jpg

Lucky man, you're gonna like that driver me thinks!

Awesome Jake, looking forward to the real world thoughts on this one. Nice photos!

Definitely interested in your thoughts on this one Jake. I have a feeling you're going to mash that thing.

Looking good buddy.

Posted via tapatalk.

Its going to sound weird but if the sole of the non tour version was black I would probably own it already. I hit it really really well. It's a bomber and its gorgeous in person.

Why don't you just send me that guy after the review to save me the trouble of explaining to the sales guy why I'm crying as I purchase one of these?

Jake. You had me at Transformer.

Can't wait to hear what you think. I had to force myself to leave Edwin Watts without one today.

Can't wait to hear what you think Jake. I'm more interested in the non-tour version but the Covert driver definitely has my attention.

This is one of the nicest drivers I have seen. The face looks real deep on these pics compared to others I have seen around here.

Looks good, I can't wait to see what you think Jake.

Nice Jake! Between the two, the Tour was a hands down winner for me. Loved it!

Nice Jake! Between the two, the Tour was a hands down winner for me. Loved it!

Tour over Performance? You a very high spin player War?

Tour over Performance? You a very high spin player War?
With the driver, yes, I am. Better ball flight, distance, and just overall better performance with the Tour.

With the driver, yes, I am. Better ball flight, distance, and just overall better performance with the Tour.

The extra bonus is that the Tour head is a stunner! Did you try the Performance head with the Tour shaft? That combo was incredible for me

The extra bonus is that the Tour head is a stunner! Did you try the Performance head with the Tour shaft? That combo was incredible for me
I did not. I bet a lot of it had to do with the shaft, but I also liked the smaller sized of the Tour head.

Wow I really like the looks of that driver. Can't wait to hear how it performs.

I picked one up today from Edwin Watts to demo this weekend, and I can second the fact that it looks so much better in person; I have heard some good things about this shaft too, so I am looking forward to putting it through its paces for a round tomorrow and Sunday

I picked one up today from Edwin Watts to demo this weekend, and I can second the fact that it looks so much better in person; I have heard some good things about this shaft too, so I am looking forward to putting it through its paces for a round tomorrow and Sunday

Watts lets you demo a club offsite? I had no idea.

Watts lets you demo a club offsite? I had no idea.

Yep, they just take your credit card number in case it never comes back. Usually ask you to return it in a day or two.

I have a pretty good relationship with the guys there; I have spent enough money and time with them, they usually let me take out whatever I want to demo because they know I'll get something new sooner or later

So Chunky had a good mix with the performance head and Tour shaft, and WE had a good day with the Tour version as a whole... Hmmm. Okay, I put this in the Performance thread, so what would you try? 110 mph SS, 15+ launch with the head set at 8.5 neutral and the spin was an outrageous 3000-3600. Avg distance total was 277 (R1 TP I messed with last week had a 296 avg, for reference). So, what will bring down spin to 1800-2100? Tour version? Tour shaft, Performance head combo? Any guesses? No Tour demo to hit yet at our Dick's...

So Chunky had a good mix with the performance head and Tour shaft, and WE had a good day with the Tour version as a whole... Hmmm. Okay, I put this in the Performance thread, so what would you try? 110 mph SS, 15+ launch with the head set at 8.5 neutral and the spin was an outrageous 3000-3600. Avg distance total was 277 (R1 TP I messed with last week had a 296 avg, for reference). So, what will bring down spin to 1800-2100? Tour version? Tour shaft, Performance head combo? Any guesses? No Tour demo to hit yet at our Dick's...

From what others have said about the Tour version, it's a spin killer, and the Covert performance with the KK Silver shaft is a good combo. There's also no upcharge for switching shafts between the two models which is also good. I wanted to try a Tour with KK Black combo just to see how it is, but my local DSG didn't even get demo clubs either. They didn't even get the new 20XI and One RZN golf balls and those released before the Covert.

Awesome Jake! You KNOW I'm curious about this one!

Back