ZM I would agree with that. I don't mind the left arm getting a little higher than that, but that is the feel and position that I try to get my students into to feel the shorter swing. Thanks for that ZM that is a great referance point to develop the feel!

I use one, all the time since I'm physically not able to twist due to herniated discs and a blown out knee that's bone to bone. You can still make a mild shoulder turn with a back-swing that go back to parallel to the ground. Being able to un-cock your wrists at impact is what will help in not losing much if any distance if you are comparing this type of shot against all of your other shots including the ones that are a fairway over or in the woods. I try to hit a draw so my right foot is back a little bit and that helps in the mild turn.

Shortening my backswing was the best thing I ever did to my game. I had a massive overswing but managed to shorten it and be a lot more accurate.

I've seen on the Golf Magazine site they have a section on this but they call it the "no" backswing swing...

The pump action on this "no" backswing swing reminds me of Charles Barkley.

I did this last year, and actually it worked great, for awhile then it quit working, so I have bigger issues.

Also people gave me tons of crap for it.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I took this approach this last year, as well as flattening my plane a bit. And yes, I take a reasonable turn. It has certainly aided in my "spray" factor and has not affected my distance, and maybe even helped gain a few yards since I have better clubhead control and can sweetspot the drive more often. The other concession to age is that I have opened my RIGHT foot to help get a bit more turn on the back swing, and closed my stance a *bit* to encourage the inside out swing.

I took this approach this last year, as well as flattening my plane a bit. And yes, I take a reasonable turn. It has certainly aided in my "spray" factor and has not affected my distance, and maybe even helped gain a few yards since I have better clubhead control and can sweetspot the drive more often. The other concession to age is that I have opened my RIGHT foot to help get a bit more turn on the back swing, and closed my stance a *bit* to encourage the inside out swing.

Sounds good...I have tried to pull my right foot back to help hit a draw but it always seems to just mess up my alignment over time and I start aiming more and more right...then over time I start getting over the top to get back to the target line because I am aimed so far right...so I have to be careful with that but I have always heard that was a good way to get you to hit more from the inside???

I kind of went away from the shorter back swing for about a year and posted some good scores but only when my timing was on for most of the day...however, in restropsect I believe I was alot more inconsistent on the whole and have gone back to working on shortening my back swing (GIR stats decreased)...like I said in my earlier post it is something you have to work at by getting your timing right...the following is my pre-shot rountine to work on this:

1) Address the ball

2) Waggle = Take the club back to where my left arm is parallel to the ground with a solid wrist cock. I know when I actually make a swing and make a good shoulder turn with good ryhtmn that I will probably go past this point but it is just to remind myself to stay connected and shorter/compact

3) Re-address the ball

4) Swing in good ryhtmn trying to find that spot in #2 above and then let my lower body start the downswing

Sounds simple but takes practice...lots of practice!!!

:callaway:

Sounds good...I have tried to pull my right foot back to help hit a draw but it always seems to just mess up my alignment over time and I start aiming more and more right...then over time I start getting over the top to get back to the target line because I am aimed so far right...so I have to be careful with that but I have always heard that was a good way to get you to hit more from the inside???

I kind of went away from the shorter back swing for about a year and posted some good scores but only when my timing was on for most of the day...however, in restropsect I believe I was alot more inconsistent on the whole and have gone back to working on shortening my back swing (GIR stats decreased)...like I said in my earlier post it is something you have to work at by getting your timing right...the following is my pre-shot rountine to work on this:

1) Address the ball

2) Waggle = Take the club back to where my left arm is parallel to the ground with a solid wrist cock. I know when I actually make a swing and make a good shoulder turn with good ryhtmn that I will probably go past this point but it is just to remind myself to stay connected and shorter/compact

3) Re-address the ball

4) Swing in good ryhtmn trying to find that spot in #2 above and then let my lower body start the downswing

Sounds simple but takes practice...lots of practice!!!

:callaway:

Something else that helped with the inside out swing plane is addressing the ball off the toe of the club. It puts into my head that I have to 'push' the club head away on the downswing. That's the easiest way I can explain it. It helps me, anyway. <shrug> With the shorter backswing, I can keep it coming from inside a lot better as well. Less chance for error, I guess.

Something else that helped with the inside out swing plane is addressing the ball off the toe of the club. It puts into my head that I have to 'push' the club head away on the downswing. That's the easiest way I can explain it. It helps me, anyway. <shrug> With the shorter backswing, I can keep it coming from inside a lot better as well. Less chance for error, I guess.

Interesting...might have to try that...thanks.

Back