How does the score affect your game.

jefffann

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Are there courses you won't play because they crush your confidence and/or increase your scores.Or are you the opposite and find the challenge the thing.
I feel bad when I post a high score because I know I can do better. It doesn't crush me and it makes me come back to see if I can do better.There are couses where I can break 100 normally. If I don't on those then I feel really bad.But on some I'm struggling to break 100 and a 106 doesn't make me feel bad at all.
What I try to do is concentrate on each hole and if I can make par on better on it that's great.I don't worry about how much I'm over till the end. I know on some holes I die but not for lack of trying.The bane of my golf game. From birdies ,pars to triples and worse. I try and just shruge those off and go on to the next.But I never give up.
I know for the better golfer this might seem like nonsense but what about the other hackers on here?

The only course I can think of that I will NEVER play again is Oak Country Golf Course in DeSoto, KS. Not because it's such a tough course, but because as a golf course, it sucks!

I have the same attitude Jeff, I'm always happy to get a par or birdie and even a bogey isn't too bad. The problem is when the birdie is followed by a double bogey or worse,haha.

On Oak Country
yeah but if it was kept up it would be still be a bear. On a day when the water is clear around the island green the lake has a urethane/surlyn bottom.
And can you beleive they are giving away golf there on the radio.Kinda like winning dog poo.

Yep Mo that is the problem..those doggone blow up holes.

Theres only one course I won't play and its a links style course called Red Tail landing by the Edmonton Alberta airport. One foot off the fairway and they have fescu(spelling?) a foot high and even the straightest golfer loses 3-4 balls a round. You just can't find it.

It's just unfair.

Yes drops because of rough are unfair to many of us .The pros have all the officials and galleries watching where their ball goes.So where's our releif from exceedingly tall rough
It must be a conspiracy perpetrated by the used ball industry

My score upsets me but not as much as it used to. I have come to the conclusion that I don't play well enough to get pissed. LOL

Theres only one course I won't play and its a links style course called Red Tail landing by the Edmonton Alberta airport. One foot off the fairway and they have fescu(spelling?) a foot high and even the straightest golfer loses 3-4 balls a round. You just can't find it.

It's just unfair.

That seems to be popular around here too, Adams Pointe has a lot of areas where if you miss the fairway by 5 ft. you are screwed. Unfortunately I play in a league there, if not for that it would be a once a year course for me.

That's why I like my home course, you can spray the ball all over the place and as long as it doesn't find the water you can hit it again.

It's all about the challenge. I once had a course that holes 14-17 would kick my ass. The day that drew the line was when I had to birdie 18 to finish even after being 4 under stepping onto 14. Pissed me off again.

Decided I was going to concer those 4 holes ,My normal avg through those holes was +4.Never once made a birdie on any of those 4.

Went there with a game plan to find the right way to play those holes since my way wasn't working.
Took me 2-3 rounds to shoot even or just 1 over thru those 4.Finally started shooting the scores I knew I should be posting on that course.

I don't play a course due to stupid layout and some have that.

It's all about the challenge. I once had a course that holes 14-17 would kick my ass. The day that drew the line was when I had to birdie 18 to finish even after being 4 under stepping onto 14. Pissed me off again.

Decided I was going to concer those 4 holes ,My normal avg through those holes was +4.Never once made a birdie on any of those 4.

Went there with a game plan to find the right way to play those holes since my way wasn't working.
Took me 2-3 rounds to shoot even or just 1 over thru those 4.Finally started shooting the scores I knew I should be posting on that course.

I don't play a course due to stupid layout and some have that.

As it was so eloquently said by noted Ghostbuster, Dr. Peter Venkman: "We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!"

Good stuff Lefty and I agree, the challenge is what it's all about. There are some courses I won't play because they were either designed by an idiot, or by Stevie Wonder. But I've never played a course that I thought was too tough. That's not to say that I haven't played tough courses and been beaten by them, but just as you felt about those four holes, so too did I feel about those courses.

Some of them I've managed to tame, while others are still a work in progress, but the fun is in the trying!

-JP

It's the course that does not allow me to play well that will get most of my attention. I will keep going back time, and time again trying to play better. There's a course in FT Worth called Rockwood which kicks my backside every time I play there. Breaking 100 is a chore there for me, with something in the mid +90s the norm. In contrast I play the other courses down there in the 80s, sometimes even breaking 80. Courses that I think are tougher than Rockwood.:confused2:

It's the course that does not allow me to play well that will get most of my attention. I will keep going back time, and time again trying to play better. There's a course in FT Worth called Rockwood which kicks my backside every time I play there. Breaking 100 is a chore there for me, with something in the mid +90s the norm. In contrast I play the other courses down there in the 80s, sometimes even breaking 80. Courses that I think are tougher than Rockwood.:confused2:

How funny,I just started a thread about this very thinking.

Our club is lucky enough to have two courses, and the one I think is easier has the higher rating. It's a classic Tillinghast course--narrow fairways and lots of trees. I hit straight and short, so it's no big deal. It bugs me a bit that the course I find far more challenging--all ups and downs, and few even lies--is considered the easier course.

Are there courses you won't play because they crush your confidence and/or increase your scores.Or are you the opposite and find the challenge the thing.
I feel bad when I post a high score because I know I can do better. It doesn't crush me and it makes me come back to see if I can do better.There are couses where I can break 100 normally. If I don't on those then I feel really bad.But on some I'm struggling to break 100 and a 106 doesn't make me feel bad at all.
What I try to do is concentrate on each hole and if I can make par on better on it that's great.I don't worry about how much I'm over till the end. I know on some holes I die but not for lack of trying.The bane of my golf game. From birdies ,pars to triples and worse. I try and just shruge those off and go on to the next.But I never give up.
I know for the better golfer this might seem like nonsense but what about the other hackers on here?

No matter how good you are, you'll find courses that play easier for you than others. Take Tiger for example. He shot a 71 in round one at the Buick Open and was not at all happy with it. He'd pay a lot of money to have shot -1 in either round two at Turnberry or round one at Bethpage this year.

Being able to shrug off holes is a very useful skill, and that goes for being under par as well as over. One of the hardest things to do is to keep going when you get in position to shoot a very good score. If you've never broken par before, then find yourself -4 after 11 holes, very often the first time that happens you'll finish even or worse (and that goes too for trying to break 80 or 90 or 100 for the first time). If you're able to block out what your score is and take each hole one at a time, that's the secret to shooting the best score that you can on a particular day.

When I lived in Northwest Arkansas, there was a course called "Big Sugar" that we would go play a few times a year. It had the highest slope rating in the state and it could be brutal. It was built in very rough mountains across the ridges and crevasses. A miscued tee shot was just gone forever and you reteed. I called it "Big Torture", but we never failed to go play it every couple of months, just to have ourselves humbled.

If I go back to visit, I will definitely do it again.

Back