Do you let your heart rule your head?

barryboymunro

Reaction score
Handicap
Just wondering how often we let our hearts rule our heads with club choice. Do many of you fall in love with a club and buy it even though the numbers don't work for you? I'm asking cause I have this TM full fitting soon but I really love the Nike Covert driver more than the R1 but it's difficult to follow whats best for your game.

Just wondering how often we let our hearts rule our heads with club choice. Do many of you fall in love with a club and buy it even though the numbers don't work for you? I'm asking cause I have this TM full fitting soon but I really love the Nike Covert driver more than the R1 but it's difficult to follow whats best for your game.

I think plenty of people will attest to this. Purchasing without trying a club out comes to mind as one way this is done. Not trying all available options is another.

It is always tough to take your personal bias out of the equation but more information I have from hard data the easier it is to go with what works vs. what I drool over. This year for my irons for example, I love the way the AMP Cell Pro's look but I will be gaming the AMP Cell's because they are just so easy to hit.

I am guilty of this for sure, but I am getting better. Lower scores are more important than what I or anyone else thinks about some clubs in my bag.

I have been that way before but getting a little wiser these days. I'm slowly getting better with my short game and I'm pretty sure my handicap will be coming back down in March. I'm looking for clubs that work the best no matter what brand they are these days.

Happens all the time. You can get enjoyment both ways, so whatever floats your boat.

I think I am semi-guilty of this. For example, today I am going to go look for a new hybrid and fairway wood. I really want to hit the Amp Cell good because it just seems like a really solid club. If my numbers are close, I'll give the Amp the nod, if not, I'll have to suck it up and go with the numbers.

I don't think I do with golf stuff, if it doesn't work it doesn't work and no matter how bad I want it I'll be patient. I will not replace anything in my bag unless it performs better than what's in there.

I do it. If I feel more comfortable over a club that I hit 6 yards shorter than the other one, I'll go with the one I'm more comfortable with. A few yards isn't really that much.

I do believe that "loving" your clubs with your heart is almost more important than knowing your clubs are perfect.

I have a tendency to try and make sure all my clubs are not the same brand which is silly as you should go with whats gives you the best results. I know the feeling though you get when you really want to hit a particular club well.

I will certainly let my wants get in the way of whats best for me at times. I have had many clubs for a very short while over the years, now though it seems I intend to buy a particular club and when I hit similar ones on a monitor I end up buying something different than the one I "loved" .

Im guility of this. For a long time I tried to play blades even though GI irons would have been a much better choice for me.

Eh, not so bad. If I love a club far more than another, I'll gravitate towards it, but I tend to love the clubs I hit the best, so it works out.

Golf is such a mental game for me that when I love a certain thing whether it be a ball, a putter, driver or iron that the confidence that item brings me actually does improve my game.

I'm guilty of this for sure, in that I basically refuse to look at game improvement irons because I think that super colorful ultra cavity back VW size iron heads are ugly as sin, even though they would probably make me more consistently straight (at the cost of workability, but we hit many more straight shots than shaped shots). There is a chance I could actually like them, but shallow cavities and musclebacks are just so sexy!

Definitely guilty....With me, it's loving the look of the club...I've never been on a monitor and never been fitted..All things that would help my game..I try different clubs based on their looks (I like a larger head iron with a thick topline)..I try a lot of clubs but always return to my Callaways...Good irons and I know I could get better results with a fitting but I'm thick headed sometimes...And I have a Ping Zing putter from the mid 90's....I tried to replace it but it won't go away...Again, there are putters that feel better and perform a little better but I can't let it go...

I do it. If I feel more comfortable over a club that I hit 6 yards shorter than the other one, I'll go with the one I'm more comfortable with. A few yards isn't really that much.

This...

A few years back, I'd say yes. But not any longer. I have no desire to waste time or money in clubs that don't work for me.

Not usually. I love the way most Ping equipment feels at address, but I quickly start using my head and put them down once I remember how expensive their clubs are.

I think we all let the heart rule at some point. I certainly have. Hell I have played nothing but Callaway for 6 years now and with the Morgan Cup 2013 coming soon I really don't see my love for Callaway changing anytime soon

I do believe that "loving" your clubs with your heart is almost more important than knowing your clubs are perfect.
+1. There are better club combos for me in the driver or woods. That said if your not confident when you pull that bag out of your bag what good does it do to play it. Golf is half skill, half management and half confidence.

I have certainly done this many times in the past. I am not one to change clubs so often any more and believe that lessons are probably a better investment than the latest and greatest.

I could be guilty of heart over head when it comes to golf balls though.

I was guilty of this for a long time....I was a big TM homer...now I dont own a single TM club

It is slowly changing for me. I used to play all Callaway, and then switched to TM. Gradually I am forcing myself to accept that all the clubs matching, whilst it does have some advantages is not an ABSOLUTE requirement. So instead of limiting myself to a R1 or Rocketballz stage 2, I am going for a brand agnostic driver fitting. However, what chances I come back with a TM? We will see...:act-up:

Back