TaylorMade R1 Driver Review - Forum Testing Thread

Could someone set theirs to 2 degrees closed and take some pics at address ? I'm trying to see if that looks the same or similar to how the supertri looked when set to Left .

Sorry man, crazy day here! I can definitely snap these in the morning but want clarification.

Are you looking for pics of neutral (10* loft) versus 8* loft or neutral sole plate versus 2* closed sole plate?

I still confuse this when people say 2* closed so want to make sure I get it right for you.

AD that was a phenomenal review post. I do have a question though. You mentioned that this is a low spin head. I have seen people compare the R1 to the Supertri and I am pretty sure the ST is a high spin head. Are you positive that the R1 is a low spin head?

AD that was a phenomenal review post. I do have a question though. You mentioned that this is a low spin head. I have seen people compare the R1 to the Supertri and I am pretty sure the ST is a high spin head. Are you positive that the R1 is a low spin head?
It is lower spin than the Supertri, but not quite as what the R11 and R11s was.

The few references I've seen say that the R1 is a low spin head. I do find that I launch the ball lower with the R1 than I do with a similar lofted SuperTri.

For what it is worth, at the bottom of each of the Golf Magazine Clubtest articles, it shows the Hot Stix rating for spin and launch for each club and they show it as a low spin as well.

http://www.golf.com/equipment/taylormade-r1-driver-best-golf-drivers-reviews-clubtest-results

Thanks War. So would you consider it low spin? I really never know what a driver head is considered in terms of spin. I just know that I hit the ST very well when I had it so apparently I hit high spin drivers well which perked my interest in the R1 since it was being compared to the ST at first. Wow that was a long sentence

Thanks to you as well AD. I'm going to read the link you posted

Thanks Guys for the input. I'm guessing that the stiff shaft is probably the best for high 90's SS. I know that this SS is within an area that can go either way, which I have in the past. I have discovered that the "Firmness" varies a great deal from vendor. It sound like from what you have discovered that the Stiff shaft is not "too stiff"...more of a "firm".

Thanks War. So would you consider it low spin? I really never know what a driver head is considered in terms of spin. I just know that I hit the ST very well when I had it so apparently I hit high spin drivers well which perked my interest in the R1 since it was being compared to the ST at first. Wow that was a long sentence

Thanks to you as well AD. I'm going to read the link you posted
Chunky, I have always struggled with low spin drivers, see last years Classic and the R11 and R11s. I think the loft may have a bit to do with the success, but I do think it is a higher spin head than previous TMaG offerings.

Thanks dude. I think I just need to get over my hangups on the White and hit this thing

Sorry man, crazy day here! I can definitely snap these in the morning but want clarification.

Are you looking for pics of neutral (10* loft) versus 8* loft or neutral sole plate versus 2* closed sole plate?

I still confuse this when people say 2* closed so want to make sure I get it right for you.

No prob man...and Neutral sole plate vs 2* closed

Thanks dude. I think I just need to get over my hangups on the White and hit this thing
First white Driver I have ever played for an extended amount of time, and I am really surprised at how much it has become a non-issue. While it is still not my preference, I have adjusted to the colors and graphics and dont really pay attention to it.

First white Driver I have ever played for an extended amount of time, and I am really surprised at how much it has become a non-issue. While it is still not my preference, I have adjusted to the colors and graphics and dont really pay attention to it.

I'm looking forward to seeing you hit the beast in person. I thought u drove the ball well with ur cg black and its sounding like this r1 puts that to shame

Just stumbled on to this forum while looking for information on the new R1. What a GREAT source of information!!!! Thanks to everyone for their input. Based on everything I'm hearing, I'm seriously considering purchasing the R1. However, there is one thing I'm not hearing much about, and that is the shaft. Somewhere, I read that the shaft is a little on the soft side. What have you guys discovered. My swing speed averages around 98mph and I'm wondering if the regular shaft my be a little too soft. Has anyone tested both the regular and stiff shaft? Thanks for all the great info!!!

I find it a tad soft for my liking and I'm about a 98 ss

THP in depth review done by Ryan H right here. If you get a chance testers, take a look and compare your thoughts.

http://bit.ly/Yj7V8S

THP in depth review done by Ryan H right here. If you get a chance testers, take a look and compare your thoughts.

Hawks review was very thorough with tons of information. I enjoyed the forgiveness test that he used for the article. I think it was an interesting description of how it showed the forgiveness all across the face.

Thanks Guys for the input. I'm guessing that the stiff shaft is probably the best for high 90's SS. I know that this SS is within an area that can go either way, which I have in the past. I have discovered that the "Firmness" varies a great deal from vendor. It sound like from what you have discovered that the Stiff shaft is not "too stiff"...more of a "firm".

I do not think the shaft is incredibly stiff. It feels a little softer than other shafts I have gamed, but it still maintains a pretty good shot dispersion and does not feel "whippy".

I do not think the shaft is incredibly stiff. It feels a little softer than other shafts I have gamed, but it still maintains a pretty good shot dispersion and does not feel "whippy".

I hit this in a sim at Golfsmith, and that was my feelig as well. Plus it was too light, for me, at 55g. I've always played TM because the last few stock shafts were in the 65g range, and that just seems to fit me better. I preferred the 65g shaft in the R1, but I think they are caling that the "TP" and I'm not paying an extra 100.00 for that when the results really weren't much, if any, better than my R11.

For those following along with the forum testing, I highly suggest checking out Hawks review of this one. Absolutely incredible.

Hawk nailed it. No doubt

For those following along with the forum testing, I highly suggest checking out Hawks review of this one. Absolutely incredible.

Hawks review was stunning. If I ever get the chance to do a testing again, it's bookmarked and I will attempt something similar. Just not as awesome

You guys are nice :D

The forgiveness certainly proved itself to me. It really seemed like shots higher on the face were very forigiving. Lower shots weren't bad either, but definitely were the worse of the two. This one made a strong case for being my 2013 driver.

You guys are nice :D

The forgiveness certainly proved itself to me. It really seemed like shots higher on the face were very forigiving. Lower shots weren't bad either, but definitely were the worse of the two. This one made a strong case for being my 2013 driver.

It would be my gamer this year if I did not have a very special event upcoming this summer.

trae - getting those pics this morning buddy!

It would be my gamer this year if I did not have a very special event upcoming this summer.
Agreed, Cookie. I think it would have a spot in my bag for sure.

trae - getting those pics this morning buddy!

thanks home slice!

Temp:low 50's, a slight breeze. Course was pretty wet overall.

Settings: 10 loft, neutral sole plate, 10g in the heel. 1g on the toe

Struggles: I didn't hit many fairways with the R1, but most of that come from course management and not a result of the Driver. I carried two drivers to do an on course comparison of the R1 and the Cleveland Classic 8.5
I was only going to play nine but I hopped back where I could to grab a coup,e extra holes. I only hit it twice out on the toe, which is my normal miss. I was pleasantly surprised by the forgiveness of the R1 in both instances. As I expect a little more draw than normal and some noticeable distance loss. But not in trouble, each were in the rough but this time of ear it's not penalizing.

Distance:

This is where I'm a little uncertain of what is causing what. I was able to gain an average of 20 yards more with the classic. However the trajectory of those shots are mid level and penetrating in nature, with a 5-10 yard draw. Where as the R1 is a high ball flight and a very soft draw, with minimal roll. I feel like if I bring the loft down to 9 I will be closer equalling the distance of the Classic. With this ball flight being pretty new to me, I have to train my mental side of the game to not set up for the normal right to left sweep as much. 4 or my misses were due to setting up down the right side and waiting for the ball to draw, which obviously never happened.

1st hole: R1 slightly off the toe, 265 right center of the Fairway
Classic center of face, 280, left center of the Fairway
Interesting note here is that the R1 was not struck flush, some distance loss, but not nearly the amount of draw I would of expected.
3rd hole. Slight Dogleg left. R1 Flush 275 with a soft draw right side rough
Classic 287 flush right side of fairway
5th hole R1 dogleg left. Flush Left side rough. 255
Classic 281 middle of the left center of the fairway.
The carry of the R1 was not enough to get through the dogleg.
6th hole, hard dogleg right. Normally hit a FW wood, but not for testing.
R1 hit through the dogleg into the left side rough
7th hole R1 off the toe, 261 left side of the fairway
Classic 280 left side of the fairway.
8th hole R1 flush, 273 right Side rough
Classic, off the toe 269 left side rough, nearly in the woods.
9th hole,R1 Dogleg right, 265' right side rough
Classic left side fairway 282
1st hole R1 flush left center of the fairway 272
Classic flush left side fairway 283
9th hole R1 dogleg right 268 right center of the fairway
Classic 284 left side of the fairway .

I'm very pleased with the forgiveness of the R1 the misses are not drastic. The distance loss is less than expected.

Overall:
I have mixed emotions about the distance comparisons. If I can control the ball and stay in the fairway then it's not an issue really. As far as the responsiveness of the shaft/head combination it's not as responsive as the Classic with the Miyazaki 61s. With the Rip Phenom and the R1 head I don't get the same feel. That feeling of the club loading is just not there for me. Next trip out I will lower the loft and see if the comparisons of distance and ball flight is closer to an even match.

This will be interesting to see if your distance will be improved without sacrificing dispersion. Any thoughts on what would work to get the feeling of the Club loading as well as you do with your Classic?

thanks home slice!

No problem! Here ya go. Did my best to have the club in the same position with the ball and also the butt of the club leaning against the same spot when I snapped the photos.

10*, neutral sole plate

DSC_1030_zps76be6560.jpg

10*, 2* closed sole plate

DSC_1031_zps7e4e8a4f.jpg

Back