Etiquette question

I got nailed in the back of the head leaving a green by group behind us being impatient. I don't think they were trying to hit into us. They were pretty shook up and walked off the course after that happened. We don't think about the potential danger of hitting into a group. Waiting one more minute could save some serious trouble.

I got nailed in the back of the head leaving a green by group behind us being impatient. I don't think they were trying to hit into us. They were pretty shook up and walked off the course after that happened. We don't think about the potential danger of hitting into a group. Waiting one more minute could save some serious trouble.
Geez. Hope nothing serious came of that for you. That is crazy. But definitely, that could mentally mess with you after drilling someone in the head

Geez. Hope nothing serious came of that for you. That is crazy. But definitely, that could mentally mess with you after drilling someone in the head
I was just sitting in the golf cart when the ball came whizzing in. I was fortunate.. How many golf carts have been in where there is plexiglass BEHIND you? The plexiglass I am sure slowed it down considerably but it shattered everywhere. I have never ever been in a cart anywhere else that had a windshield in the back. God watching over me that day.

depends on how close they are to hitting me, and if they could see me or not. one time i was standing in a fairway waiting to hit into the green and i kid you not this douche bag hits his drive 8" from my feet. good thing it plugged... that is in no way shape or form reasonable. i wanted to 1)hit his ball into the trees and 2) dump out my entire bag of balls and hit them all toward him.

but in other occasions, like when you are behind a tree or a tall sand trap and they hit into you, but probably wouldn't have if they would've seen you, that's a different story.

Hitting into people is seriously dangerous, when i was a kid i hit the ball off the heel of my driver and hit my brother who was probably 30+ ft away and broke his arm. We didn't know for 2 days cause they couldn't xray it with all the swelling.

Last yr I was playing in a scramble and hit last in my group after we waited a good amount of time to tee off and hit the perfect tee shot over the corner to a blind landing and hit a guy in the group ahead of us in the shoulder. He was probably 250yds plus away luckily my ball didn't have much momentum left at that point. I apologized profusely to him cause I felt horrible about it. I played like crap for the remaining 14 holes, I just couldn't shake the funk.

The best way is to kindly inform them that you have a group ahead of you and that you don't appreciate getting hit into.

In my experience that usually solves it, no reason to throw the ball into the woods or get violent, only bad things can happen from there

Yep couldn't agree more for the first incident. If it happens again, I do tend to get frustrated quickly mind you.

Often a bit difficult on my local course as we have 2 holes which are "blind" drives, and you have to ring the bell half way down the fairway. Often people forget and it's actually quite easy to accidentally hit into the group in front without meaning to do so.

Yep couldn't agree more for the first incident. If it happens again, I do tend to get frustrated quickly mind you.

Often a bit difficult on my local course as we have 2 holes which are "blind" drives, and you have to ring the bell half way down the fairway. Often people forget and it's actually quite easy to accidentally hit into the group in front without meaning to do so.

At one of our courses here, they have a hole with a bell and another hole with a mirror that is way up on a pole that shows the area over the hill. Wish more courses would do this.

Last summer my two cousins, brother, and I were playing and executive 9 on a busy weekend. My brother and one cousin are the definition of hackers, so every hole is an experience. We weren't blazing through the course but we were keeping up to the group ahead of us and waiting a couple minutes at each tee box to take our shots. This older gentlemen and his wife, who I feel sorry for, caught up to us on one tee box. We were about to take our tee shots and they walk right up to the tee box and the older guy proceeds to uncover his driver and stand there with ball and tee in hand. If there wasn't multiple groups in front of us I would of let them through because I know we can be slow, but this was not one of those situations. The course was packed. We all took our shots and started walking the hole. I was about to take my second shot about 100 yards from the flag and I hear a ball land probably 5-10 yards from me. It was at this point I was sure the guy was a dink, so we proceeded to take our time finishing the hole. Not one second after I put the flag back in the hole I hear the smack of a golf ball and thereafter the sound of it thudding not 3 feet from me while I was still on the green. If it had been a younger guy all bets would of been off, but since he was older I just put my hand up in the air and stared at him for a few seconds. My other cousin yelled some suggestions back and him, and I think they got the point that he's just crazy enough to do something. Anyway, I just don't understand what goes through peoples head. Nobody likes slow play, but if you are keeping up with the group in front of you, what else can you do? Not to mention if you actually do hit someone with a golf ball in the right place you could kill a person. How could anyone live with themselves or play golf again if something like that happened?

As a part time course worker, I'd say a call to the pro shop is always the best course of action.

At one of our courses here, they have a hole with a bell and another hole with a mirror that is way up on a pole that shows the area over the hill. Wish more courses would do this.

We have one blind hole that has a bell as well. Takes the guess work out of it. Almost everyone rings the bell as they pass by.

Even better would be if all courses had carts with gps on them. Then you could see exactly how far the group in front of you was and eliminate a lot of the hitting into. Maybe as technology gets better and cheaper more courses will be able to afford this feature. As for walkers, they deserve to get hit for not being lazy enough to take a cart. If you want to work out, go to the gym.:alien:

Even better would be if all courses had carts with gps on them. Then you could see exactly how far the group in front of you was and eliminate a lot of the hitting into. Maybe as technology gets better and cheaper more courses will be able to afford this feature. As for walkers, they deserve to get hit for not being lazy enough to take a cart. If you want to work out, go to the gym.:alien:

That would be nice. But as with walkers, you would only know where the carts were, not where the guy who got dropped off at his ball is!

I don't see the course I play the most getting GPS on the carts ever. The owner would get GPS for the carts at his nicest course first, ours is down the list right now. But I can hope.

Interesting...typical Japanese golfing etiquette is to wait till the flight in front of you reaches the green (in view) or rings these gong-bell-looking things (out of view) to signal that the flight has passed a reasonable distance so the next flight on the tee box can hit. They work too. Most everyone is educated on the bells and it's very rare to be hit up on. Unfortunately, it does add to the slow play card and bunching up happens pretty regularly. It is nice though to not really have to worry either way...comfortable play really means a lot vs. feeling rushed or like you have to rush.

There is a short par 4 on a local course over here that has a camera pointed at the green and a little TV screen just off the tee box under a shelter. The hole is only about 290 yards long so it's to stop people going for the green when someone is putting. A great idea

There is a short par 4 on a local course over here that has a camera pointed at the green and a little TV screen just off the tee box under a shelter. The hole is only about 290 yards long so it's to stop people going for the green when someone is putting. A great idea

That's a good idea. Over here something like that would be vandalized or stolen almost immediately. That's why we can't have nice things.

We have one blind hole that has a bell as well. Takes the guess work out of it. Almost everyone rings the bell as they pass by.

The only problem with the bell is, they only work when things are really bunched up and you saw the group ahead leave the tee. If not, you're never quite sure whether the bell was already run when you didn't hear it, or whether they haven't rung it yet.

That's a good idea. Over here something like that would be vandalized or stolen almost immediately. That's why we can't have nice things.
That's why a mirror on the pole is a good idea. I suppose someone could throw something up and break it, but I've never seen it broken.

If we come upon a blind hole we always just drive up to the turn to take a peek make sure it's clear...

I played a course in Cuba, MO that had a blind tee shot over a slight ridge. They mounted a big mirror-based periscope next to one of the tee boxes. It would pivot and tilt so you could see over the ridge and make sure the landing area was clear.

Only difference is it's a country course and the members work on the course. When you join your asigned a hole to maintain. Nothing major but things like filling divots on the tee box, replacing divots on fairways and fixing plug marks on greens. I've seen members pick up trash as well.

I guess if you have your own fairway to look after your not going to mess up other ones.

Only difference is it's a country course and the members work on the course. When you join your asigned a hole to maintain. Nothing major but things like filling divots on the tee box, replacing divots on fairways and fixing plug marks on greens. I've seen members pick up trash as well.

I guess if you have your own fairway to look after your not going to mess up other ones.

what a great idea! I am going to suggest that to my club secretary. Thanks dhj!

Back