Iron Fitting Today

capt.dru

Reaction score
Handicap
Had my iron fitting this morning at Leonard's Links today with Steve Russell. Afwcardinal also met me out there to see how the fitting process went. At first, Steve had me hit my current irons on a lie board. It turned out that I needed my clubs 3* upright with a stiff flex shaft. He asked me what I had wanted to hit. Since I am on a budget I asked him if there were any last years models that I could still be fitted for. Based on what he saw from my swing and ball flight, he recommended Ping G20's white dots with a stiff shaft. He went back in and brought back the right club. Low and behold there was an immediate improvement in distance and dispersion. Even my mishits were tighter and further compared to my old clubs. I saw about a 10-15 yrd increase. I really liked the way they felt and the ball flight was more of a mid-high piercing flight compared to just a high flight on my old clubs. Steve liked what he saw and said there was no need for further fitting other than grip size. He also told me I was pretty easy to fit based on my swing. These clubs also fell into my price range which was a big plus. A full fitted set of Ping G20's at $549 was tough to pass up. Cant wait to get them on Thursday. Thanks Afwcardinal for meeting me out there. It was great to spend some time with another THP'er at the range.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Awesome stuff man, glad to hear it went so well. Hopefully I get to see you in action next weekend with the new irons.

I will definitely be looking for a fitting soon so hopefully he has the new Cleveland fitting cart as well.

Congrats on the new sticks.

Congrats on the new clubs! Way to get fitted! You wont regret it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys! Cookie, I really recommend going there for your fitting. Steve is really knowledgeable and does not push a certain brand on you. I asked him why he didnt use the shaft optimizer on me. He said that he really liked what he saw from my ball flight and that he felt I didnt need it. If my ball flight was different from what he saw, then he would have used it. He explains everything he is doing and answers all your questions.

Congratulations man, sounds like you had a blast.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

bBest of luck with the new irons fella - hope you enjoy them :)

Thanks guys! Cookie, I really recommend going there for your fitting. Steve is really knowledgeable and does not push a certain brand on you. I asked him why he didnt use the shaft optimizer on me. He said that he really liked what he saw from my ball flight and that he felt I didnt need it. If my ball flight was different from what he saw, then he would have used it. He explains everything he is doing and answers all your questions.

Nice man, remind me of the cost again please? Knowing it will be different for a full bag fitting. I MUST find somewhere with the new Cleveland fitting cart though.

Only thing that jumped out at me as potentially *strange* was that he recommended stiff shafts. Not that it's not what you need but that stiffness can vary so much between shaft manufacturers, etc. heck, PX does not even have something called stiff.

Important thing is that you got into a set that will work wonders for your game, we talked about this in our round - I think these will really help elevate your game. You are a ball striker and being properly fitted I think will really work wonders for you. Excited for you man!

Nice man, remind me of the cost again please? Knowing it will be different for a full bag fitting. I MUST find somewhere with the new Cleveland fitting cart though.

Only thing that jumped out at me as potentially *strange* was that he recommended stiff shafts. Not that it's not what you need but that stiffness can vary so much between shaft manufacturers, etc. heck, PX does not even have something called stiff.

Important thing is that you got into a set that will work wonders for your game, we talked about this in our round - I think these will really help elevate your game. You are a ball striker and being properly fitted I think will really work wonders for you. Excited for you man!

I dont know how much it would cost for a full bag fitting, but for the driver and iron fitting is $55 a piece. If you get the clubs there though, they dont charge a thing.I know what you mean about the shafts. We started with the ping stock shafts and he really liked the ball flight he was seeing. I was hoping he was going to use the optimizer, but he didnt feel like I needed it. Maybe my budget had something to do with it. Dont know if they have the new Cleveland cart though. I just called them and they were going to check and call me back.

Sweet, thanks man! Much appreciated.

They just called me back and they do have the Cleveland cart there.

. A full fitted set of Ping G20's at $549 was tough to pass up. Cant wait to get them on Thursday. Thanks Afwcardinal for meeting me out there. It was great to spend some time with another THP'er at the range.

Awesome!! Congrats on the new sticks...

Very nice, in due time then!!

Sweet, thanks man! Much appreciated.

No problem man! Its the least I could do. Oh by the way, my driver game is starting to come around with the lessons I am taking. So hopefully I will be ready for the invitational.

No problem man! Its the least I could do. Oh by the way, my driver game is starting to come around with the lessons I am taking. So hopefully I will be ready for the invitational.

You will be ready!! Let's be partners man.

Let me see if I can sell JB on that idea. :alien:

That would be cool! Dont think he would go for it though. LOL.

Interesting fitting for sure, what were you playing before?

Did you get any spin #'s?

Dru, that was a fun morning. It looked like you found something that fit you quite well. Steve really did seem to have an easy time fitting your swing. And thanks for letting me hit that new driver. That really is a nice club. Really enjoyed meeting you out there and hope to see you next weekend.

Interesting fitting for sure, what were you playing before?

Did you get any spin #'s?

I was playing TM Superlaunch irons that I got 3yrs ago when I started playing again. As that was an upgrade from my old Dunlop set. Unfortunately we did not use a launch monitor for my iron fitting, but we did use it for my driver fitting. Dont know why we didnt use it for my iron fitting though. The times that I have seen him do iron fittings, I have not seen him use a launch monitor.

Dru, that was a fun morning. It looked like you found something that fit you quite well. Steve really did seem to have an easy time fitting your swing. And thanks for letting me hit that new driver. That really is a nice club. Really enjoyed meeting you out there and hope to see you next weekend.

Anytime Eddie. That driver does feel pretty sweet. I am barely starting to hit well with it and it is a big difference from the R9. I was hitting some bombs this afternoon after I had my lesson. Still need some work, but a big improvement from the way I was hitting. If I do go play Sunday, remind me to take the shaft for your driver so you can try it out. Just hope my irons get here by Friday.

Can't wait for next Sundays round. Hope to see you there with some new tools.

Congrats. Sounds like a good experience. Good luck with the new bats!

Back